Upgrading windows

Cellkiller20

I built my own computer recently and I installed an older version of XP on it for the time being. When I got my other windows disk I tried to upgrade teh current version I had. Everything went ok.. until my computer restarted. Everything starts to load and when it comes to the window xp loading screen I get blue screened and my computer restarts automatically. I cant read the error on the bluescreen because it goes too fast. I used to be able to go into safe mode but now it doesn't even give me the option, it just keeps restarting. When I try to go into BIOS it wont ever load up either.

My Specs:

MOBO: Foxconn NF4UK8AA-8EKRS

Processor: AMD 64 3500+ Athlon 64 Socket 939

RAM: Rosewill 1GB PC2100

I tried reinstallign the older version but it wont let me instal an older version of windows.

Sorry for making this psot rushed, if you need any other info I will psot after I get off work.

Thanks

Olderversion of XP -SP1 newer version i was trying to upgrade to SP2

You should just have used windows update to update to xp... usually you can use your windows cd to start the recovery console and fix your windows installation from there. If that doesn't work, I'm afraid you'll have to format your disk and reinstall windows from scratch. You may be able to get your files off the harddrive using something like Knoppix (google for it)

k i formatted and re-installed the older version of win XP... I started to update my windows... got to sp2 to instal then BAM it starting to bluescreen me again. So now the problem lies within SP2. :S

Did you install windows and then IMMEDIATELY go to windows update without doing anything else (short of setting up internet access). If you do it that way, then you shouldn't have a problem...

Same thing happened to me when I installed a new mobo but kept the same OS :/ I found out that it was a bad mobo in my case.

First, press F8 while Windows is booting and try to boot into safe mode. It should list some files. If it freezes and/or restarts on a particular file, then you may want to restore it from the WinXP CD, which I'll explain later. Or it could boot and you'll just do diagnostics from there.

If it still doesn't work, then get into your BIOS by pressing Del or whatever it says when your comp starts up and reset it to optomized defaults. This way, if anything halppened to the BIOS settings, they will be back to working order.

If THAT doesn't work, then try flashing your BIOS with the latest manufacturer's update, and check that all the jumper settings for integrated audio, etc. work. In addition, it would be a good idea to get PHLAK and burn it to a CD. Then boot from it and just let automount and fstab do the rest; copy all your files to a USB drive or something. Using PHLAK will also help you to determine whether it is a hardware problem that occured at a very inopportune, coincidental time or if it's WinXP.

You can additionally install PHLAK to the hard disk and uncab and copy files from the WinXP CD manually, if you think Windows or a particular file is messed up.

sigon4.jpg

handed me TWO tissues to clear up. I was like "i'm going to need a few more paper towels than that luv"