IRA kills 3, German teen kills 15 in school

raven_gaurd0

Source: The Week, March 20, 2009 Edition 'Hope or Hype?'

"Winnenden, Germany

School massacre: A 17-year-od this week killed 15 people, including nine students and three teachers, in a shooting rampage at his former high school in southern Germany. The gunman, (Name withheld for my own reasons), carjacked a vehicle to flee the school, and police launched a massive manhunt using helicopters and dogs. They cornered him hours later in a nearby town and killed him in a shootout. "He went into the school with a weapon and carried out a bloodbath," said Police Chief Officer Erwin Hetger. "I've never seen anything like this in my life." There was no immediate word on what triggered the assault. Germany, which is second only to the U.S. in mass shootings, raised the legal age for gun ownership from 18 to 21 in 2002, after a school massacre that claimed 16 lives."

And.

"Belfast, U.K.

Terrorists resum killing: Northern Ireland feared a return of "the Troubles" this week after hard-line republican groups resumed attacks on British soldiers and police. One IRA splinter group, the Real IRA, killed two British soldiers at an army base in Northern Ireland - the first murders of soldiers in the British province since 1997. Another splinter group, known as Continuity IRA, killed a policeman in a town near Belfast. Mainstream Irish republicans (like myself) denounced the attacks. "Their intention is to bring British soldiers back onto the streets," said Sinn Fein President Gerry Adams. "They want to destroy the progress of recent times and to plunge Ireland back into conflict."

Discuss. Primarily, what do you think these two killings with do for the policies, particularly security and military, of Germany and England?

-Will Germany raise the gun ownership age limit? (I'd be happy.)

-Will England re-establish a firm grip on Northern Ireland and crack down on IRA activity?

In terms of Europe, the main players are the UK, Germany, and France. Germany is incredibly sensitive about domestic violence, while the IRA has been plaguing the UK since the IRA Treaty War of 1917. (Not the correct name, but you know.) So changes in policy in reaction to these advancements, I feel, are likely.

Calvin.jpg