The new (or possibly old) bump rule.

I think, that if a thread is old enough, and is bumped, EVEN if the post contributes to the topic, it should be locked.

Before you say anything, I heard from several people that you can bump a topic as long as you contribute to the discussion. Even a mod said that.

Now when people find this out, topics will be bumped massively and it will remove from the newer threads. If it is your own topic it should be fine though because your bumping your own topic instead of making a new one.

Honestly, I don't want to see some year old resurrected topic. If you think Tip.it can handle it look at the funny picture thread and the internet meme thread.

Depending on how old the thread is and how many pages it was back a moderator can decide to lock it if it is too old.

image.pl?URL=171577-4798

hatzyv.png

Pureprayer, you're awesome.

The guideline itself isn't new, really, so I see no need to fret about that. We still haven't got topics bumped massively and I doubt that'll happen soon. Also, remember we generally only allow contributing bumps, and action is taken if a user abuses this.

And even if (hypothetically) older threads were replacing the newer ones, why is that a problem? If most users seriously believe a thread is better than another one (and the discussion is healthy and abides the rules), why should we lock the thread? Corrupt threads like "funny pictures" already get locked without the bumps, so that isn't a problem either.

My point is, a topic being old isn't something bad on its own. Why do you think bumped topics should be locked regardless of content?

This signature is intentionally left blank.

The guideline itself isn't new, really, so I see no need to fret about that. We still haven't got topics bumped massively and I doubt that'll happen soon. Also, remember we generally only allow contributing bumps, and action is taken if a user abuses this.

And even if (hypothetically) older threads were replacing the newer ones, why is that a problem? If most users seriously believe a thread is better than another one (and the discussion is healthy and abides the rules), why should we lock the thread? Corrupt threads like "funny pictures" already get locked without the bumps, so that isn't a problem either.

My point is, a topic being old isn't something bad on its own. Why do you think bumped topics should be locked regardless of content?

Im asking for guidelines not rules. Bumping threads have a high success rate of failing and the bumper getting flamed. The OP often wants it locked also.

----------------

Now playing: Slipknot - Psychosocial

via FoxyTunes

image.pl?URL=171577-4798

hatzyv.png

Pureprayer, you're awesome.

I think it really does depend on the topic at hand. You need to praise people who bump an old topic and contribute to it instead of creating another topic and duplicating the same thing.

I agree that if a topic has died and get's bumped again it may need to be rethought about is it worth it being bumped. When a topic has been bumped and get's nothing but flaming for being bumped even if being contributed too thats when things may get out of hand and require to be locked.

I believe you are referring to the useless facts in general discussion? Where i had to remove almost fifteen posts flaming the person who bumped the topic?

Pgkhqob.jpg

Proud Tip.It Moderator December 07 - October 2009
Proud TETAU Member 2006 - 2007 <3
"I had a standing agreement with god. I'd agree to believe in him, barely, so long as he let me sleep in on Sundays." - Rose Hathaway
[ Posting & You ] [ Forum Rules ] [ Next Tetau Event ]