Sword VS Scimitar

Kinosjourney

When JaGeX updated the graphics in runescape they made the Short Sword really cool, actually i preffer them over Scimitars anyday when training strength.

I made a f2p pure now to play on a little while im muted on main just to relax and i keep fighting with myself if im gonna use a Short Sword or a Scimitar for leveling, im thinking about using a shortsword for leveling strength only since it looks lame to stab with it and its the only way to train attack and def with it.

Can someone make a good comparison of the two in terms of accuracy, speed and damage? (mithril shortsword and mithril scimitar).

Also another question: if i choose to go with a Shortsword should i use a Power amulet or a Strength amulet for training? The power amulet gives +6 slash which can help hitting more offen but the strength amu adds +1 damage. helpz meh :mrgreen:

lnoyh.png

lnoyh.png

lnoyh.png

Well obviously if it looks better, hit hits better. <- That was a joke.

Scimitar is the best overall weapon for dragon items and under, its been proven again and again. I would also go for the power amulet.

randomkcopyq.png

Well obviously if it looks better, hit hits better. <- That was a joke.

Scimitar is the best overall weapon for dragon items and under, its been proven again and again. I would also go for the power amulet.

Well, i guess ill use scimitar when leveling attack and sword for strength.

Also i usually go with power since hit chance increase is nice when your a pure.

lnoyh.png

lnoyh.png

lnoyh.png

Scimitar is always faster xp.

Take power if you're under 70 attack, strength if you're over. That's assuming you're killing regular monsters and are after faster xp.

I preffer sword over scimitar when training strength but i need a pretty exact comparison in terms of damage, speed and accuracy on them both, like X% chance to hit, X.X seconds between each attack and damage. Lets use Mithril weapons as a example

lnoyh.png

lnoyh.png

lnoyh.png

From the Manual:

Short sword speed ranking: speed4.gif

"The shortsword is a fast stabbing weapon, which deals significantly more damage than a dagger. A shortsword can also be used as a slashing weapon. It is generally a good all-round weapon and is not too expensive."

Scimitar speed ranking: speed4.gif

"The scimitar is mainly a slashing weapon, although it does have a less effective stab attack. It's not as flexible as the shortsword, but it deals slightly more damage. Slashing weapons are good against cloth and leather armour."

Bonuses:

Mith short: 11 slash, 16 stab, 17 strength

Scimitar: 25 slash, 5 stab, 20 strength

Note both also have negative crush bonuses, which are irrelevant since neither uses crush attacks.

So according to Jagex, Short Swords and Scimitars are equal in speed, but the mith scimitar gives and extra 9 in its primary attack mode and extra 3 strength. This difference should be even bigger with rune.

So with a sword sword, you're using something with the same speed, but lower bonuses. What's the point then?

From the Manual:

"The shortsword is a fast stabbing weapon, which deals significantly more damage than a dagger. A shortsword can also be used as a slashing weapon. It is generally a good all-round weapon and is not too expensive."

"The scimitar is mainly a slashing weapon, although it does have a less effective stab attack. It's not as flexible as the shortsword, but it deals slightly more damage. Slashing weapons are good against cloth and leather armour."

Bonuses:

Note both also have negative crush bonuses, which are irrelevant since neither uses crush attacks.

So according to Jagex, Short Swords and Scimitars are equal in speed, but the mith scimitar gives and extra 9 in its primary attack mode and extra 3 strength. This difference should be even bigger with rune.

So with a sword sword, you're using something with the same speed, but lower bonuses. What's the point then?

Scimitar seems really superior, its sad they made the shortsword so weak when it looks so awesome :oops:

lnoyh.png

lnoyh.png

lnoyh.png

From the Manual:

Bonuses:

Scimitar seems really superior, its sad they made the shortsword so weak when it looks so awesome :oops:

Well they made these different melee weapons way back in Classic I believe. Back then every gp counted, so the price difference between the two, while now very trivial, was huge back then. I mean, an addy plate marked you as rich and famous...

Sword and Scimitar are the same speed. You might as well go with a scimitar since it has better stats.

If you want looks though, a Longsword is your best bet <3:

(By the way, Longswords sometimes (not all the time!) get more XP than scimitars. Although scimtars can also get more XP than longswords as well.)

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Sword and Scimitar are the same speed. You might as well go with a scimitar since it has better stats.

(By the way, Longswords sometimes (not all the time!) get more XP than scimitars. Although scimtars can also get more XP than longswords as well.)

Nah. The longsword isn't good at all because it's damage:time ratio is too low, much lower than the scimitar.

The only -sword that beats a -scimitar is the Obby Sword + Zerker Necklace, and that's p2p.

Nah. The longsword isn't good at all because it's damage:time ratio is too low, much lower than the scimitar.

The only -sword that beats a -scimitar is the Obby Sword + Zerker Necklace, and that's p2p.

I have done tests, and sometimes longswords exceeds scimitars in XP. I can show you XP rates if you want.

Summary from the above posts: A sword isn't worth using in F2P.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

A sword isn't good in f2p? We'll yeah we've established that already...

I also have xp rates, and I can say that when I went from 60-ish to 80 attack, and 92-94 attack, that the scimitar has always beaten the longsword.

Plus, experiments aside, use logic. The scimitar gets an extra hit every ~5 hits. With that one hit, if you hit anything about a 5, the scimitar just swamped the longsword. This is assuming that you'll never miss (which you do, but only works in the scimitar's favor), that the longsword always adds +1 damage to EVERY hit (which it doesn't, it only raises the potential, and also works in the scimitar's favor), and are training for xp.

I don't like longswords, their ugly. Shortswords are broader.

/´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´'|______

\_______________,,__|'''''''''''''''''''''''''

<===========================|-------|

:roll:

lnoyh.png

lnoyh.png

lnoyh.png

Honestly, just train with whatever you think looks cool. I assume you play on your main seriously and your pure casually.

Casual= Roleplaying and thus it is meant to be enjoyed. The stabbing option can be quite handy if your fighting different monsters as well.

But remember, if you pvp in f2p, you should always stick to scimitars. Even if they improved their coding, hardly anyone wears chains to justify the use of a stabbing weapon.

Actually...that would be an awesome update. The day Jagex finally comes up with a code that would revolutionize attack/resistances on melee styles. Then we can see more warhammers and chainbodies being used. As of the moment, the difference is so miniscule that you're better off jumping on to the slashwagon.

tomcatgt.png

tenta.png

Runescape, Funorb, "Mechscape" Videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/TOMCATLX

Honestly, just train with whatever you think looks cool. I assume you play on your main seriously and your pure casually.

Casual= Roleplaying and thus it is meant to be enjoyed. The stabbing option can be quite handy if your fighting different monsters as well.

But remember, if you pvp in f2p, you should always stick to scimitars. Even if they improved their coding, hardly anyone wears chains to justify the use of a stabbing weapon.

Actually...that would be an awesome update. The day Jagex finally comes up with a code that would revolutionize attack/resistances on melee styles. Then we can see more warhammers and chainbodies being used. As of the moment, the difference is so miniscule that you're better off jumping on to the slashwagon.

Yeah, thats true. i guess i stick to the scimitar then. thanks alot dude.

lnoyh.png

lnoyh.png

lnoyh.png