Disc read error?

RpgGamer

Not quite sure how to describe the problem, but the "Disc read Error" message will suffice. I've been using my (D:) drive a lot recently to copy CDs. I made 200 odd copies of a few files, which left my drive pretty worn out. I left it alone for a few days, and put in some other CDs (audio and programs) and they all seem to work the way they should. But here is my problem. My friend lent me Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, and excited to play I popped it right in my disc drive. The disc wirrs for a second. Stops. Sounds like it's going to start up again. Spins twice. Stops. And then gives up. So my computer doesn't even register the fact that there is a disc in it's tray. Is there a way to solve this problem?

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

First things first. Reboot your computer. This might sound stupid but people often forget.

If that doesnt work, lets make sure its not just a broken CD.

Do other CD's work? Does the oblivion disk work in another drive? (another computer or something)

If the drive is really the problem, theres a few things you could do.

1) Buy a new one. They are dirt cheap, so this is what I would do.

2) Get your hands on a cleaning CD. This is basically a CD with a small brush on it, which will clean the optical sensor.

3) Try a firmware update. To do this you need to go to the manufacturers website, and see if they have firmware updates for your specific drive. They will also give you instructions on the exact procedure. This ocasionally solves problems.

darksigjd4.jpg

[Ellhound JR][Combat [bleep]][138][200M Attack XP][134/200M Hitpoints XP][250+ jad kills][ <!-- m -->http://www.ellhound.com<!-- m -->]

1) Buy a new one. They are dirt cheap, so this is what I would do.

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. I checked the website of the product, plugged in the serial code and a bunch of other nonsene and it turns out the reason is because it's only CD-ROM compatible, while Oblivion was a DVD-ROM style disc. :wall: . Pain in my [wagon], but thankfully, crisis averted. Thanks for the help :)

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn