help with aoe2 expansion multiplayer :S

T-Roach

Well my friend and I are trying to play the conquerors multiplayer as i write this.

this is the problem, we cant find each other's ip addresses. when i create a game, he cant find my game and vica versa. we have the same patch, so what is wrong :S plz help asap

Doctor of Dental Surgery-2014

Medical Doctor-2018?

Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon-2024?

If either of you is behind a firewall it might be blocking you all from searching for one another and connecting. Try shutting down any software firewalls either of you might have temporarily while you play the game then put it back up.

Also, if you're on a router, the ip of your computer itself is assigned by the router and a private network ip can't be seen by a computer outside the network. You'll need to get the ip of your router that the cable or dsl assigned to the router and then have your friend find that ip. Then in the router's configuration you'll ahve to set it up to forward data on certain ports to your computer. I dunno if you even have a router for broadband since you didn't provide any details but if you are, and it's a linksys router(probably is, like 90% of everyone with broadband has a linksys router) go to your browser and instead of a website, type in 192.168.1.1 and a box will come up asking for a user name and pass. On most linksys routers the default user and pass is "admin" for both but if that doesn't work check your router's manual. Different routers have different versions of the firmware but on mine you click on "status" in the configuration menu and it'll come up with a page that has some information on it. One line should say Internet IP address. That's the address you need to use. For the port forwarding, on mine there is a link at the top to a page labeled "applications and gaming" which will let you forward data on certain ports to your computer. Check your computer's assigned ip(go to start, run, type cmd, command, or prompt{one of those should work} and then in the window type ipconfig and hit enter, then once you've found your ip address type exit and hit enter). Then for the forwarding, there is an application column that you can just put aoe2 in so you know what it's for. Then right of that is the start and end column which defines the start and end of teh range of ports. Then protocol, which you'll want to put select tcp on all of the port ranges from the dropdown menu. Then right of that is ip address, in which you put your computer's ip. Then right of that is an enabled column with a check box by each line, check enabled before you play and make sure you click save settings at the bottom when you finish. The ports to open are 443, 1863, 6891-6900, 6667, 28000-29100, 28000-28809. Those ports are according to the help on zone.com and should allow you to play via ip connect across the internet or on zone.com. When you arn't playing you should go back into your router's configuration and uncheck the enabled boxes on all those lines so that there arn't any ways for stuff to get past your firewall. You can always go back in and enable teh port forwarding again next time you want to play.

Well I hope that helps, if not I just wasted a bunch of time. I also play aoe2 the conquerors, if you want to play a game sometime, pm me.