Question about a rule

Zierro

It's against the rules to post a thread if there is already a thread about the same topic. But then, it's also against the rules to "necro" and bump a thread that's old? What are you supposed to do?

PS: Sorry if this isn't in the right place. I don't know where else a question like this would belong.

You can post on older threads as long as it contributes to the topic. You cannot just post a short response like "that sounds cool 8-) " on a 2 year old thread. If you have something that can add further discussion, then we have no problem with you posting on existing threads.

Regaurding creating new topics, just make sure you use the search function. If the thread is old, say 5 months or more, you would be safe in creating a new topic. If it is less than 5 months, you may just want to consider reviving the old one if you can bring more discussion to it.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

Alright, so you can "necro" as long as it isn't spam, and you can create a thread if the other is older than 5 months. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

5 months is a good standard to go by. I don't think there is an official length of time, just try to make sure the thread is not too recent before making another one of the same topic.

Anyways, glad I could help.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

5 months is a bit old, it depends on the topic IMO. There is no set limit on that, and some RS or OT topics can be outdated after 5 months in example. Use common sense, and at least don't make new topics about it that are less than a month old. Again, depending on content.

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

5 months is a bit old, it depends on the topic IMO. There is no set limit on that, and some RS or OT topics can be outdated after 5 months in example. Use common sense, and at least don't make new topics about it that are less than a month old. Again, depending on content.

Yeah, more often then not in General Discussion it's probably better to make a new topic rather than bumping an old one simply because there's a "high" chance that a lot of posts in the old topic are now out dated and are pretty much of no use. For example it would be pointless bumping a topic such as "Why is Fletching so hard" (A made up topic :P) after there's been a huge fletching update that makes it easier for example.

Just use your common sense and you should be fine.