network issues

Markup

mightwanttogetthisfixed.png

I have had this problem for 3 years now. Im really not sure of the time frame but this happens from as frequent as every 30 minutes to 2/4 hours to every 20 hours and the reason I've never bothered to fix it before is because its temporarily fixed by a restarting the router.

It appears that my computer cannot open any network connections to the internet. However any open connections can still be used (for example I can use IRC even though I wont be able to browse the internet, however if I disconnect from that IRC server I won't be able to reconnect to any server).

My router reports that it is connected to the internet during such the problem encountered.

Its a DLink G604t running firmware version ~ V1.00B02T02.UK.20050815

This is an issue with DNS resolution. Your nameserver(s) are not responding in a timely fashion.

Obviously, it could also be that you've typed a URI in directly and misspelled something, but that's obviously not the case in your screenshot.

Check your router's configuration for "nameservers", and try to make sure that there are at least two, and contact your ISP to make sure they are valid (if you're not geeky enough to find out yourself). Also, if you're running Windows, type "ipconfig /all" in a CMD shell and look to see if you have at least two DNS or nameserver entries.

Retired Player Moderator - Light Arcana General

Egbert_O_Foo.png

You could also try adding an OpenDNS or GoogleDNS server instead of your ISP's, if you want to see if that is the problem.

However some home router/switches just suck. I haven't had too much experience with DLink, but all that I did was bad. I have a LinkSYS and it has problems every now and then but is good for the most part.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

I've been with DLink for 5 years now, indy500fan, so they're not all bad. I do know that Linksys is a good brand.

As for the problem, it happenned to me a few years ago. I called my ISP after doing what I knew at that time that could have a chance of repairing that, but in the end, while with the ISP, their technician to be precise, it still didn't work. We did a lot of things but in the end I decided it would be better to reformat and that's when it worked.

Now here, my problem was the same, except I never was able to go on the internet after closing the programs that still had the connection, it wasn't a thing that lasted as short as a couple of hours.