Question About Strength In F2P

PraetorDei

Just to satisfy my curiosity, I took some red spider's eggs and some limpwort root (which I had already) and had some strength(4) potions made by the apothecary. I then went and fought ice giants. It boosted my strength from 70 to 80. But my max hits only went from 14 to 16 (with rune scimitar). However rune 2h sword gives me 17 (versus 14 without strength potion). This makes it seem like for F2P non-PvP it would be better to focus on attack and defense rather than strength.

Comments?

But my max hits only went from 14 to 16 (with rune scimitar). However rune 2h sword gives me 17 (versus 14 without strength potion). This makes it seem like for F2P non-PvP it would be better to focus on attack and defense rather than strength.

Comments?

I don't quite understand what you're trying to say here and what you're comparing? Are you saying that without the potion, you hit 14 with both the rune scimitar and the 2H?

The reason why you hit 17 with the 2h, is because it is a stronger weapon then the scimitar, but sacrifices accuracy.

When in ftp, many of the players major concerns are with their own strength levels, and seem to generally have them higher then their attack and defence levels, but if you want you can choose to do the same, but I believe(from personal experience) that someone with equal stats can compete much better in a non pvp or even pvp environment, but even if it is for clan wars and such. It is equally important to have high attack and strength levels.

The reason why you hit 17 with the 2h, is because it is a stronger weapon then the scimitar, but sacrifices accuracy.

When in ftp, many of the players major concerns are with their own strength levels, and seem to generally have them higher then their attack and defence levels, but if you want you can choose to do the same, but I believe(from personal experience) that someone with equal stats can compete much better in a non pvp or even pvp environment, but even if it is for clan wars and such. It is equally important to have high attack and strength levels.

Actually the rune two handed is much more accurate than the rune scim. What it sacrifices is speed.

And to answer your question, if you only do pvm then yes, attack/defence would be better choices. But in f2p pvp almost everyone no arms so strength/attack is more valuable.

Zerker_jane.png

But my max hits only went from 14 to 16 (with rune scimitar). However rune 2h sword gives me 17 (versus 14 without strength potion). This makes it seem like for F2P non-PvP it would be better to focus on attack and defense rather than strength.

Comments?

I don't quite understand what you're trying to say here and what you're comparing? Are you saying that without the potion, you hit 14 with both the rune scimitar and the 2H?

I understand that the rune 2h sword gives more strength bonus than the rune scimitar. So -- with rune scimitar I hit at max at 14 (level 70 strength) and with rune 2h sword I hit at max 17. My point is that with strength potion my strength went to 80 (temporarily) and I hit max 16 with rune scimitar -- so by going from strength 70 to strength 80 I only gained +2 max hit. I presume if I was using rune 2h sword the max hit would have gone from 17 to 19.

So my point is -- for F2P for non-PvP it appears there is little point in building strength. Building defense means I get hit less often so can stay on site longer for the same amount of food. And building attack means I hit more often -- so getting more kills for the same time on site. Therefore building the pair of them appear far more useful than building strength. That is my hypothesis -- request for comment was so any who are more experienced can point out if I am overlooking something.

No. In f2p strength is much more valuable than strength, outside of PvP and Revenant situations.

Think about it. What's your toughest monster? Greater Demon, Hellhound, Cockroach? All those monsters have pretty low defense, so eventually when you hit a certain attack level, any levels past that don't make much of a difference.

Here's a hypothetical example. Let's say you need an attack level equal to your opponent's defense level to never miss (again, hypothetically). Let's say there's a monster called, Muffin, that has 60 defense. So you are leveling up attack until 60, then suddenly, you find you never miss when you might Muffins. So if your attack and strength were both 60, you'd much rather want to raise strength because those extra attack levels are getting wasted. Similarly a player with 60 attack and 99 attack would have the same xp/hr killing Muffins, assuming their HP, defense, and strength levels are equal.

So what I am saying here is that at a certain point, raising attack is useless if compared to a certain monster because you will already have overcome that monster's defense. Strength has a similar problem, except against HP, not defense (eventually, you will have a max hit over Muffin's HP, at which point extra strength levels make no difference since they cannot make you hit higher than Muffin's HP). And since f2p monsters (excluding revenants) have low defense, you don't need much attack to get a good xp/hr.

Hope this made sense.

No. In f2p strength is much more valuable than strength, outside of PvP and Revenant situations.

Think about it. What's your toughest monster? Greater Demon, Hellhound, Cockroach? All those monsters have pretty low defense, so eventually when you hit a certain attack level, any levels past that don't make much of a difference.

Here's a hypothetical example. Let's say you need an attack level equal to your opponent's defense level to never miss (again, hypothetically). Let's say there's a monster called, Muffin, that has 60 defense. So you are leveling up attack until 60, then suddenly, you find you never miss when you might Muffins. So if your attack and strength were both 60, you'd much rather want to raise strength because those extra attack levels are getting wasted. Similarly a player with 60 attack and 99 attack would have the same xp/hr killing Muffins, assuming their HP, defense, and strength levels are equal.

So what I am saying here is that at a certain point, raising attack is useless if compared to a certain monster because you will already have overcome that monster's defense. Strength has a similar problem, except against HP, not defense (eventually, you will have a max hit over Muffin's HP, at which point extra strength levels make no difference since they cannot make you hit higher than Muffin's HP). And since f2p monsters (excluding revenants) have low defense, you don't need much attack to get a good xp/hr.

Hope this made sense.

Not sure I follow this because if it worked the way you say, once I exceeded a monster's defense with my attack I would never miss. But that is not what occurs. Rather if my attack is low versus their defense, I might hit 1 out of 3. As I build my attack it is then 1 out of 2, then 2 out of 3, then 3 out of 4. I don't fight anything where I "never miss". I suppose if that were the case then yes I would build strength. But it is not the case.

As for what I usually grind on -- ice giants. I probably average a little better than 1 hit out of 2. Some times I hit 4 in a row, sometimes I miss 4 in a row. Perhaps their combat level is a factor? Mine is 86 (I think, not logged in now), and the ice giants are listed as level 53. If I could move my average hits from 1/2 to 2/3 that would very much shorten the encounters. I think increasing my strength die from 14 sided to 16 sided with a rune scimitar is not going to be as decisive as hitting more often.

Hope this made sense.

Not sure I follow this because if it worked the way you say, once I exceeded a monster's defense with my attack I would never miss. But that is not what occurs. Rather if my attack is low versus their defense, I might hit 1 out of 3. As I build my attack it is then 1 out of 2, then 2 out of 3, then 3 out of 4. I don't fight anything where I "never miss". I suppose if that were the case then yes I would build strength. But it is not the case.

As for what I usually grind on -- ice giants. I probably average a little better than 1 hit out of 2. Some times I hit 4 in a row, sometimes I miss 4 in a row. Perhaps their combat level is a factor? Mine is 86 (I think, not logged in now), and the ice giants are listed as level 53. If I could move my average hits from 1/2 to 2/3 that would very much shorten the encounters. I think increasing my strength die from 14 sided to 16 sided with a rune scimitar is not going to be as decisive as hitting more often.

1. Remember that was a hypothetical example. I know it is impossible for you to "never miss" on certain monsters. But it was a simplification so I could better explain the concept.

2. Combat level is not a factor, when considering misses, you need to look at 4 things: opponent's defense level, opponent's defense bonus, your attack level, and your attack bonus.

Just remember that leveling attack eventually becomes useless. That cut-off point is different depending on the monster. That was the point.