Sons of the American Revolution

The Dark Lord

Hello, I am trying to join the Sons of the American Revolution.

My family has traced our lineage to a man that served in the War of 1812 (through Ancestry.com), but I am having trouble with tracing him to a man that I believe is related to him (who served in the American Revolution). The man that we have traced ourselves to was born during the American Revolution, in the United States, so it's perfectly plausible that we may be related to a veteran of the Revolution. I can provide the names of both men if needed (since it doesn't harm my privacy).

Likewise, is Ancestry.com pretty accurate?

Also, if anyone knows anyone that has joined this organization (or if you are in it yourself), please give me any advice that you think that I need to know in order to fill out the application.

Much thanks.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

I don't have any advice for you but I am curious about one thing. What's the point exactly of this organization?

It's a heritage organization, much like Sons of Confederate Veterans or Grand Army of the Republic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5YpELcpqt0

These organizations also provide college scholarships. ;)

SWAG

These organizations also provide college scholarships. ;)

Bingo, that's the answer I was looking for. Well good luck finding your scholars- I mean heritage ;).

Hehe, thanks. :)

I can get a $1,000 undergraduate scholarship from Sons of Confederate Veterans, so it's all good. ;) I actually really want to join NSSAR (so don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to mooch), but the potential scholarships are big bonuses since I'm going into college this fall.

SWAG

My uncle actually hired a private investigator of sorts to research our family history. So far we've traced it back to a village in Ireland in the 17th century which is really neat. We also found out that we have Dutch blood in us. We previously thought we were only English/Irish.

I've had relatives in every American war up until Vietnam. (including both sides in the Civil War). Also, President Andrew Jackson would have been my second cousin. (or something close to that).

I believe we used Ancestry.com for a time, but if you want to get really deep, a private investigator is the way to go. Understandably, it can get expensive.

sig2-1.png

Last.Fm

My Bloggy

Proud to have served on Tip.it Crew

That's cool. I think that we traced some of our family back to Lincolnshire in England. I know that my family (most branches) has been in America for quite some time... I'd say about 300-400 years.

I would love to hire a person to trace us, though. They would probably do a better job and trace us back further. How much did it cost your family to hire someone?

SWAG

Long time lurker, first time posting. Going through tracing my own family history I found that ancestry.com is very accurate, seeing as they show you all of their sources for the information. Have you tried searching the church of latter day saints? The Mormons run a great program out there. As for hiring a private investigator, a decent one will charge anywhere from 50-75 dollars per hour, normally excluding expenses. You could end up running up a couple thousand dollar bill, depending on how far back you want go. Just be aware many of them can be pretty sleazy, so be careful and make sure to have a contract with them signed if you decide to go that route. Good Luck in your hunt

I have tried ancestry.com before.

The joining point of my dispersed family is at my great great grandfather who was an Ottoman lord, and when the Ottoman empire started to dissolve, many branches of my family fled to California, Texas, Florida, etc. Ancestry.com even displayed their correct addresses and names, as well as what wars our relatives have fought in for the US. However, it failed to reveal anything non-US related, and this is quite a problem since my immediate family moved to America three decades ago.

So I would personally hire a personal investigator if I had the personal money or trust [although I know back to at least 1845 so I could somewhat tell if they're lying on a "lead"].

kaisershami.png

He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked... Your daily life is your temple and your religion