Cadence

SecretAgent

Found this chapter I wrote like... 6 months ago?

This was to be the first chapter to a book I was writing about young Brian Cadence, a wealthy politician, hated by his own nation of Trenaria due to the propaganda of the government spread against his family and other elite families of the semi-autonomous Trenarien region of Revana. The book was to deal with how the government eventually decides to assassinate him and he has to stay one step ahead. This chapter was supposed to lay down some valuable foundations for backstories, especially Tony.

I eventually ran out of free time, and right now this is all I managed to write.

Brian Cadence reached into his coat and pulled out his Kasran .45 semi-automatic, twelve round pistol. Not because he was in any danger but because he always did when he rode in any of his personal vehicles. He wanted to be ready in case of any danger. He had too many enemies and had a recurring nightmare about those enemies attacking him at his weakest, which he considered to be on the road. The nightmare was always him getting ran off the road, and then men with masks gunning him, his bodyguard, and his driver down. He always wanted to be prepared in case of his nightmares coming true.

Damn it, he thought to himself. Just a few hours ago I was visiting Vince and now Im scared for my life. Im too paranoid for my own good. I also have too many enemies for my own good. This is no way for a young man of twenty-three to live.

Vincent Holt was Cadences best friend. They had known each other for their whole lives due to the fact their families, along with the Kasran family, formed a tight knit society of sorts. The Cadence, Holt, and Kasran families were the richest families in the nation and were known throughout the nation as the Revana Triumvirate. The Cadences were the wealthy politicians, the Holts were the wealthy military officers, and the Kasrans were the wealthy manufacturers who also had a monopoly on making weapons for the nation. The families were hated by the majority of the nation but were well loved in the region they lived in. Revana was by no means the most populous of regions, but was the wealthiest and enjoyed so much autonomy that many viewed Revana as its own independent nation. The truth of the matter is that it was. Although the population of the small region was only around 75,000, it had the most balanced economy and workforce and even boasted its own elite standing army. The economy was a diversified one, relying on a multitude of various sectors such as agriculture, manufacturing, shipping, and mining. Its economically advantageous location: to its north it had hills and mountains; to its west: the Garien Ocean; its south had an enormous delta which made it incredibly fertile for farming; its east had a valley below. The center of the region was its capital city Revana City. Education was a benchmark no matter who a person was; Revana had one of the most educated populaces in the nation and claimed many of its brightest minds. The army, led by General Thomas Holt, Vincents father, was a well organized, well trained, and elite fighting force of 4,500 men. Poverty and crime were almost unknown in Revana.

Mark, turn on Channel 32 on the radio. Cadence said in a shaky voice to his driver.

Yes sir. Classical music from the Trenarian Renaissance Orchestra serenely filled the limousine which slightly eased Cadences nerves. You sound cold sir, do you want me to turn on the heat?

Damn liar, you know why I sound shaky Mark. he couldnt help but grin at his driver. My coat keeps me warm enough but if you need the heat, you know Ive never minded you turning it up.

Yes sir. Uh sir, do you mind if I speak freely sir?

Well see if I mind after you do. Shoot it.

Theres no need to fear sir. This limo is bulletproof, your trenchcoat is bullet proof, youve got a bulletproof vest on, and youve got me and Tony to guard you.

I know Mark. But none of it is fear proof. Its a reflection on me, not on you or Tony. Cadence had forgotten Tony was there. He always did. The man was so damn silent it was hard to tell if he was there or not. But he could be counted on and Cadence knew that. He had seen what happened eight years ago and never would forget what Tony did.

Cadence began to lose himself in his thoughts. Thoughts about Trenaria. The country was in bad shape. Sure the economy and stability of the nation were in working order, but the leadership was corrupt and had been for the past hundred years. Not many people looking in the government from the outside could see it, but anyone with knowledge of politics and with a view of the inside knew the government was a tyrannical, corrupt, authoritarian monarchy. Revana was the only region in Trenaria that believed in republics and actually had a functioning yet handicapped example of a republican government. The Cadences were responsible for overthrowing the corrupt king Peter Keltar in 1742, replacing it with a republic. Even now, in 1974, Revana as a whole still distrusted monarchies. Since Trenaria was founded in 1754, the only king it ever fully trusted and cooperated with was King Stephen Fox who reigned over Trenaria from 1765 to 1820. Ever since then, Revana, especially the Cadences, was the whistleblower of the nation. It had cost the Cadence family much.

Before he knew it, Tony shook him awake. Cadence looked out of the car window and saw Pioneer Heights, his home. The grand mansion had been in the family since 1802 when the family purchased it from the Kasran family. Cadence let a sigh of relief escape from his lungs.

Thank you Tony.

The colossus of a man shook his head quickly and walked over to the servants entrance. The Cadences always had their servants, bodyguards, and other family employees live in Pioneer Heights, not only to benefit the Cadences but to also give a more comfortable arrangement for the employees. Not only were they the highest paid domestic workers in the nation, they were the most comfortable, which made them extremely loyal to the Cadences.

Cadence made his way to the side door. He hated the front door ever since he was a kid. He preferred to walk in unannounced. He stepped in, walked silently through the house to avoid all attention from the servants, and slipped into his study. He hung his bulletproof trench coat on a nearby rack and went to his desk to sit down. He breathed easy. He had cheated death for another day, even though death was not after him on this particular day. But death had the advantage. While Cadence knew where all this had started for him, death knew what he did not. Where it would end for him.

I have a working idea of what the environment and technology of the world is in my head. It's not at all like Earth. But it's all in my head and if I tried to explain it my head would hurt trying to remember all the stuff I made up for this.

• 4 weeks later...
I have a working idea of what the environment and technology of the world is in my head. It's not at all like Earth. But it's all in my head and if I tried to explain it my head would hurt trying to remember all the stuff I made up for this.

You don't need to worry about describing each and every detail. Your world will progress over time, in other stories (if you plan on making others.) Just guide the reader through the world narrowly. Only introduce aspects of technology and society which are relevant to the story. This way, you'll have more freedom if you want to continue writing stories in this particular setting.

k9cpqg.jpg

You don't need to worry about describing each and every detail. Your world will progress over time, in other stories (if you plan on making others.) Just guide the reader through the world narrowly. Only introduce aspects of technology and society which are relevant to the story. This way, you'll have more freedom if you want to continue writing stories in this particular setting.

Yea, I find that it's important for me to remember that as well: I go into significant detail, but if I don't rein myself in, it turns from a voyage of discovery, fascination and careful design into a chore and painful mental exercise.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.