The Tunnel

UnknownRemoval

xfxkap.png

I first saw this here, and for non-TorrentFreak readers I thought this would be very interesting.

Independent film makers releasing their movies on Bit-Torrent is a steadily growing feature, with many popular movies spreading virally and gaining much in donations from fans of the film. Without Bit-Torrent and related forms of sharing, these films would not have had the release and popularity that they currently hold.

The Tunnel is one of these films, still going through the production stage. A horror film that looks very promising from the current trailer. Yet in order to help recoup production costs of the film, they are offering people to buy one or more of the 135,000 frames used to make the 90 minute feature. A single frame goes for $1, A second for $25 and a minute for $1,500.

Currently 1,009 frames have been purchased, the newest five being my own purchase. This number is set to increase rapidly after it being posted on TorrentFreak and related websites. I just want to know if any Tip.it users would be willing to contribute to the effort, and maybe purchase a frame or two? :P

If you want to contribute to the release of the film : The Tunnel Movie

EDIT: Some things I forgot to mention. You get an email confirmation which contains your individually numbered frames. Also one frame will be used to promote the film and the lucky owner will get a 1% share in the money made from the movie.

Retired Crew Member | Retired RuneScape Player

I've always thought something like this would be an awesome way to bring stuff back into production. I was thinking more of an actual legal part ownership of the movie/TV show though. Basically more like stock. I had this idea around 5 years ago after I first saw Firefly and really, really wanted to see more. I thought it would be awesome if they started selling ownership rights at $50 a stock, then the owner of the movie would match it + a little so that each episode/movie of Firefly would be 49% owned by fans and 51% owned by Joss Whedon, and all profit would be split according to that (you could but as many $50 stocks as you wanted). The budget of the film/series would depend on entirely how much stocks people purchased.

The way The Tunnel is doing it is interesting, but not quite as good. I am also a little confused about the rates, since film is 24 frames per second, it actually would be better to buy the frames individually rather than in seconds/minutes. It's also possible they mean 25 frames and you just end up getting a little more than 1 second. I don't think they would film it at 25 fps, I don't think any cameras exist that film at that rate. It's always 24 for movies or 60 for TV shows.

I went ahead and bought 25 frames anyways, even though it really isn't as good of an idea as I'd like, it is a step in the right direction.

EDIT: Apparently they give you a number of random frames equal to the amount of dollars you spent. So I didn't get a second of frames, I got 25 frames from random parts of the movie. I can see both good and bad to this. When I first started this edit right after I got the email with my numbers I was angry editing, but after I thought about it I think it is better this way.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg