Horror from the Deep

Forgot I had received this PM from a friend a while ago. :mellow:

Hiya,

So I was doing the quest to gain access to the God Books, and from what I could remember from my old account, the Mother could be safespotted from behind a stalagmite.

The Mother attacks with ranged or melee, ranged by default but depending on whether you're using the Protect from Ranged prayer (she recognises its use and changes attack style immediately). Therefore players could get behind the stalagmite, use Protect from Ranged and mage her to death since her weakness is to the four elemental attacks anyway. Crucially, in doing this, she could not attack the player.

Jagex seemed to have fixed this so that if she cannot use any means to attack the player, she simply disappears, and when she reappears after you talk to a quest NPC, she has full health again. Therefore, you have to let her attack now in some way.

RS Wiki recommends letting her range you because her ranged attacks are 'weaker'... I'm not sure if they're parasuicidal or not. Dags attack with two ranged attacks at the same time, the Mother from HFTD hits quite consistently in the 50-80 margin using hers. Very hard to defend and heal potentially 150 LPs of damage in one tick, and attack at the same time, which is already difficult enough because you're constantly having to change the elemental spell depending on her colour.

Instead, I used mystics for the offensive magic boost, Protect from Ranged, which forced her to attack with melee. To counter this, I also used a Super Def Pot and Steel Skin. This is very draining on prayer, so I'd say at least two P Pots (4) are vital, but because you're not taking damage as frequently, you can focus on actually killing her. In the space that isn't being used for runes, one-click tele, games necklace, super def and p pots, fill with food.

I used a compost monster familiar... total waste of time. Didn't hit once, even when she was weak to melee.

The quest guide needs updating to warn players that she cannot be safespotted, and the bestiary needs updating with information on how to effectively kill her.

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished this quest and had the same experience with the Dagannoth mother disappearing whenever I tried to get out of range. Protect from Range was very helpful in defeating this monster, and I second: bring prayer pots and food.