Some iPod questions

DarkerFalz

Ok, so there's this new iOS 4.1 out, and last time I upgraded the firmware, it erased my iPod stuff.

Has anyone used the new iOS yet, or can you direct me to a place where people posted their thoughts on it?

Also, would it be worthwhile to jailbreak my iPod, considering I still have ~8 months left on the iPod warranty?

What are some pros and cons of jailbreaking it, and, if I decide to, how would I go about doing it?

grammar2gr8dx.png

darker_falz.png

When you updated to 4.0, I'm pretty sure everyone had to get there stuff erased, but if you had a back up, you can use that.

Second, with iOS 4.1, the main selling point is the Game Center, which is the Apple equivalent of Open Fiet (SP?)

And I would recommend Jailbreaking. Since I did it I haven't looked back. It offers so many things Apple doesn't give us. An example is that for folders, you can have an unlimited number of apps in them rather than just 12, with an App off Cydia (which is what you get when you Jailbreak).

If your iPod does break for whatever reason, if you restore, Apple has no trace of the Jailbreak.

Also, what iPod do you have?

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

Errr... It's a 64 gig 3rd gen one.

Also, last time I upgraded (to 4.0.2), it erased my backups, and not just everything on the 'pod.

So, if I jailbreak it, and it doesn't work, and I restore it, I'll get the warranty back? (I read somewhere that you lose the warranty when you jailbreak it).

grammar2gr8dx.png

darker_falz.png

Errr... It's a 64 gig 3rd gen one.

Also, last time I upgraded (to 4.0.2), it erased my backups, and not just everything on the 'pod.

So, if I jailbreak it, and it doesn't work, and I restore it, I'll get the warranty back? (I read somewhere that you lose the warranty when you jailbreak it).

Hmm.. What are you clicking when you update it.

At the current time, there isn't a Jailbreak for 4.1, or 4.0.2. There should be one out in the coming weeks for 4.1, which is apparently Boot Rom. That means that it is a hard ware exploit, and it cannot be patched by software, so Apple has to release a new model for them to fix it.

And in regards to warranty. If you are Jail Broken, and take you iPod into the Apple store to get fixed with the Jail Brake still on, then you won't have a warranty. However, if you restore to factory defaults,this removes all traces of the Jail Brake, so Apple cannot detect that there ever was a Jail Brake, and then your warranty is in tact.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

I am clicking the button that says update on it, with "A newer version of the iPod software is avaliable (version 4.1). To update your iPod with the latest software, click Update."

I don't really know why it erased all my files/back up, maybe it was just a fluke on my part.

Hmm, no jailbreak for 4.0.2 yet? Ok. I'll have to try the one for 4.1 when it comes out, see if I like it. If I don't, I can always go back, right? (I hope so :P)

grammar2gr8dx.png

darker_falz.png

Hmm that's strange. Instead of just clicking update, try Shift+Clicking on Update so you can locate the ISPW and do it that way.

And yeah, you can go back if you want, but you probably won't ;)

Are you on iTunes 10?

ojdv.jpg

That could be the reason. You don't need your dad to install it, you should be albe to do it your self. Just press "check for updates" in iTunes.

ojdv.jpg