Tree farming

Leyenda

Supposedly, the growth time of a willow tree is 3 h 40 m. However, it is not uncommon for me to find that after 6 hours, my tree is still not grown. I do not use any sort of compost and pay the farmer to watch my tree. Does this normally happen, and what causes it?

All skills 70+

Trails: 2 x Rune platebody (g)

Barrows: 1 x Dharok's legs

Drops: 1 x Dragon skirt | 1 x Dragon defender

Logging in and out a lot affects the growth time and that 3h is an average. I don't think either type of compost affects the time.

^How so? And if it were an average, how come my tree is never done in less than 220 mins?

All skills 70+

Logging in and out a lot affects the growth time and that 3h is an average. I don't think either type of compost affects the time.

^How so? And if it were an average, how come my tree is never done in less than 220 mins?

All farming crops are grown in cycles. When you log out, you reset the current growth cycle.

For example, if you plant an herb, it will grow in three 20 minute growth cycles (if I recall correctly).

Let's say you're 15 minutes into the second growth cycle. If you log out and then log back in, you've basically just lost those 15 minutes and you're back at the beginning of cycle 2 again.

The same goes for trees, but on a larger scale.

Another reason is that even though you're having a farmer watch it (I assume you are), your tree can still get diseased. The farmer will cure it for you, but plants lose a growth cycle when they get diseased. So it will take an extra cycle every time your plant gets diseased. This is why it is always a good idea to supercompost your trees, even if a farmer is watching it for you. It won't get diseased as often, therefore loses less growth cycles, and thus will be done in a shorter amount of time.

I hope that made sense.

norriie.png

[Click for my blog]

[hide=Drops & Achievements]

Hunter_cape_(t).gif 99 Hunter: 4/30/09 Cooking_cape_(t).gif 99 Cooking: 6/2/2009 Attack_cape_(t).gif 99 Attack: 6/9/10

Dragon Legs x2 | Dragon Skirt x2 | Dragon Med x3 | Dragon Boots x13 | Dragon Shield Left Half x1

Abyssal Whip x2 | Granite Maul x8 | Granite Helm x2 | Granite Legs x1

[/hide]

All farming crops are grown in cycles. When you log out, you reset the current growth cycle.

For example, if you plant an herb, it will grow in three 20 minute growth cycles (if I recall correctly).

Let's say you're 15 minutes into the second growth cycle. If you log out and then log back in, you've basically just lost those 15 minutes and you're back at the beginning of cycle 2 again.

Another reason is that even though you're having a farmer watch it (I assume you are), your tree can still get diseased. The farmer will cure it for you, but plants lose a growth cycle when they get diseased. So it will take an extra cycle every time your plant gets diseased. This is why it is always a good idea to supercompost your trees, even if a farmer is watching it for you. It won't get diseased as often, therefore loses less growth cycles, and thus will be done in a shorter amount of time.

I hope that made sense.

I suspected that about the disease, that is why I mentioned compost (but no one ever told me about logging in and out! :() In that case, I must log in at just the correct time (approximately every 90 mins for a farm run) to reset the cycle

Does anyone happen know what the length of a tree cycle is?

All skills 70+

I hope that made sense.

I suspected that about the disease, that is why I mentioned compost (but no one ever told me about logging in and out! :() In that case, I must log in at just the correct time (approximately every 90 mins for a farm run) to reset the cycle

Does anyone happen know what the length of a tree cycle is?

You can find all the growth cycle lengths here: http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Seeds

norriie.png

[Click for my blog]

[hide=Drops & Achievements]

Hunter_cape_(t).gif 99 Hunter: 4/30/09 Cooking_cape_(t).gif 99 Cooking: 6/2/2009 Attack_cape_(t).gif 99 Attack: 6/9/10

Dragon Legs x2 | Dragon Skirt x2 | Dragon Med x3 | Dragon Boots x13 | Dragon Shield Left Half x1

Abyssal Whip x2 | Granite Maul x8 | Granite Helm x2 | Granite Legs x1

[/hide]