Runescape Model Format

GuidesForScapers

Hi,

i know that it is possible to extract some models from the crap that RS downloads to your PC (can't remember the name of it all).

I was just wondering, what format are the models? I am thinking about using them in a future video instead of recreating the models (if i can work out how to extract them).

Thanks.

GuidesForScapers.png

Legalize baby punching. Tax and regulate it. Punch babies erry day.

The models are in Jagex's own special, (apparently) encrypted format. Unfortunately, even extracting the models is considered a violation of Jagex's TOS (although it's not stated in the rules/guidelines, yes, a TOS violation can lead to banning if you are caught. This is mainly to discourage people from making private servers - a lot less people would bother doing something if they knew they couldn't give themselves credit without getting banned. That's also why most private servers and other TOS-violating things tend to be made by people who've quit RS anyways).

You should probably avoid trying to extract/convert the models - Jagex doesn't like it when people do it, because they feel it can be used to manipulate the game or make private servers, which is why it's a violation of the Terms of Service. Anyways, I don't know of any way to convert the models into an editable format. Before I knew Jagex took extracting the models as a serious and bannable offense, I was actually trying to see if I could find some converter that would let me pull the models into Blender so I could play around with them. After stumbling upon some private server making forums, the posts I saw there connoted the general impression that you'd have to make your own converter if you wanted to bring it into an editable format (apparently most private server makers just go with the same format Jagex uses and build their own custom model editors to make their own models).

So not only would it be against Jagex's rules (and bannable if they figure out you did it!), but I'm afraid you'd have to learn how to either program your own converter or make your own model editor. Really, that seems like too much work, in my opinion, to make something that you could never safely enter into an official machinima competition anyhow :unsure:

Personally, what I do (both after learning that using Jagex's models is a TOS violation, and after learning that it'd take too much effort regardless) is just make the models myself. I mean, it seems to work just fine for JeffreySonRS, so why not?

If you want, I could give you some basic models I've made so you can have a headstart - I have a default human male model and a few trees and bushes. Of course, you'd have to tell me what program you're using and what files it accepts, first. I'm using Blender, so if that's what you use too, I can just give you the .blend files directly :P

skillgoal99fakingunderb.png

Fake Awards:

flatawardsbox.png

(The large number is the amount of awards I have gotten; only 8 are shown above. Click to see all of them.)

Ahh, i am also using Blender. I am pretty much a complete noob on the modelling side of things, more experienced in creating games with basic shapes to try and get something on the go. So far the only thing i have created is a horribly ugly Korasi sword that i am only using in a sweeping animation for the titles for a korasi PKing video. It will do considering it is just a 1 second, motion blurred animation heh.

I really appreciated the offer on the .blend files, and i may well take you up on it. However for now i feel i would rather do it myself and improve than leech someone else's work and stay at the same, average level.

Cheers for the quick and detailed reply, i really appreciate it.

EDIT:

Do you create just the models, or the UV maps as well? If both, i was wondering what program you used to create the UV maps. I used Photoshop for the Korasi sword, but it was very tedious and glitchy.

GuidesForScapers.png

Well, I actually try to avoid UV mapping for RS models, since I once came across a page on Jagex's corporate site that had "homework" for people considering applying for a job as an RS modeler. On that page, it mentioned that UV mapping isn't actually supported by the game engine (and by what I've seen even in recent graphics, it still isn't supported - if it ever was, they'd probably make even more hype about it than they did when Z-buffering came out).

So in general, for mapping textures, I just set it to "Generated", allowing Blender's mapping algorithms to handle texture mapping. I also usually just use procedural textures (e.g. clouds, musgrave, etc.), with the color ramp set to a gradient between 100% transparent and solid black.

If you're not referring to textures, but to colors instead, you don't need UV mapping to do that. Colors can be done by creating different materials and assigning them to selected faces, or by having one material with the "Vertex Color Paint" setting checked and using Vertex Paint mode. To get to Vertex Paint mode, you just click the same menubox that lets you switch between the Object, Edit, Weight Paint, etc. modes. In Vertex Paint mode, to make things look the way Jagex does, you should have the Face Selection Mask view on (it's that small button with a cube, next to the menu that lets you switch detail modes). You then select faces and, after choosing a color, press Shift+K to fill them with that color. However, if you want to have parts with different textures, those need different materials regardless.

Anyways, if you absolutely must use UV unwrapping (e.g. you're trying to design something complex without having to model all its details, or you want to take a texture from a flat surface in RS and plop it on your model (as you would for a tree's leaves or firecape or something)) then there are some things you can do to make it easier. First, I assume you know how to unwrap things correctly (pressing U and choosing Smart Project usually works well). After you have done this, make an Image Editor window in Blender, and, with the vertexes of your mesh selected, create a new, blank white image. Now, switch to Texture Paint mode in the 3D window, and use brushes to draw little guidelines and notes directly on the surface, denoting which parts represent what. You can then use the Image Editor to save that image as a new file, and pull it into Photoshop, and use it as a basic guideline for how you want to draw things. If you have Illustrator on your computer, you can also export an SVG layout of the UV unwrapped mesh from Blender, open that in Illustrator, and save it as a PSD or image that you could pull into Photoshop for even more guidelines.

I know it's a hassle, and that's another reason I try to avoid UV mapping when I can :P

Also, if you aren't already using a version of Blender that's 2.5 or greater, I sincerely suggest you upgrade, as its interface is much more logical and intuitive, and it has many more features.

skillgoal99fakingunderb.png

Fake Awards:

flatawardsbox.png

(The large number is the amount of awards I have gotten; only 8 are shown above. Click to see all of them.)

Thank you so much for all the advice :D! It is going to help me big time in the future.

I tried to upgrade to 2.5 on my netbook, but due to the migity screen and mouse pad it didn't go so well. Perhaps i wil actually try it on a computer next time.

GuidesForScapers.png