Intel(R) HD Graphics card help. (Solved for now :D)

Omnitec

Hey there <3:

So i'm on a Sony Vaio VPCEA3M1E Laptop model which has an Intel® HD Graphics card built in, and i'm interested in getting Left 4 dead on Steam. I've done a "Can you run it" check and it's given me these results:

ffbmmw.png

I'm confused as to whether my graphics card will actually run L4D, as it passes the green checklist components listed. I've enclosed all the system information below, and was wondering if anyone could help me out as to whether the game would work on my card at all. I have Team Fortress 2 & Portal, as well as LEGO Star wars: Complete saga able to run from Steam on this computer if that helps.

[hide]

Processor Intel® Core i3-370M Processor

- 2.40 GHz

- 2.5 GT/s DMI

- 3MB L3 Cache

Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit

RAM - 4GB installed DDR3 SDRAM

- 1066 MHz speed

- PC3-8500 memory specification

- 8GB maximum RAM capacity

Graphics card Intel® HD Graphics

Screen type Widescreen LCD

Screen resolution - WXGA

- 1366 x 768

Screen size 14"

Screen features VAIO Display

Hard drive 320 GB

SATA

5400 rpm

Optical disk drive DVD SuperMulti Drive

Memory card reader Memory Stick Slot(s): Memory Stick Duo x1, SD memory card x1

USB 3 x USB 2.0

1 x e-SATA/USB Port

FireWire No

Modem/Ethernet 1 x RJ-45 1000BASE-T/100BASE-TX/10BASE-T

Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11b/g/n

Bluetooth Bluetooth standard Ver. 2.1+EDR

Video interface 1 x HDMI

1 x VGA Output

Audio interface Headphone and external microphone jacks

TV output 1 x HDMI (digital video/audio)

1 x VGA (analogue video)

Extension card slot 1 x 34mm ExpressCard slot

Sound - Built-in stereo speakers

- Built-in mono microphone

- Dolby Codec: Dolby Home Theater® v3

Webcam VGA resolution (640 x 480 pixels) Motion Eye® webcam

Keyboard & Mouse Multi-gesture touchpad

Battery VGP-BPS22 Li-Ion

Additional features Instant On

Quick Web Access

Special Buttons: WEB Button, VAIO, Assist

Kensington Security Slot

Accessories included Adaptor, power cord, documentation

Software included Solution Portal(VAIO Gate), Photo/Video(PMB VAIO Edition), Multimedia(Media Gallery), Home Network(VAIO Media plus), Support(VAIO Care), Utilities(VAIO Transfer Support), Office Application(Adobe Reader,Microsoft Office 2010 Starter), Security & Backup(McAfee 60 day trial,Norton Online Backup), SONY Tools(Remote Keyboard with PlayStation 3,Remote Play with PlayStation 3)

Size Height: 27 mm

Width: 346 mm

Depth: 239 mm

Weight 2.35kg[/hide]

Thanks! :thumbsup:

dczlnn.pngUSPPEP8.pngdczlnn.png

Intel graphics don't have the best reputation, and aren't amazing. They don't do HD games very well. That said, my laptop with Intel graphics can run RS fine How well does yours run RS & on what settings?

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Intel graphics don't have the best reputation, and aren't amazing. They don't do HD games very well. That said, my laptop with Intel graphics can run RS fine How well does yours run RS & on what settings?

It can run Runescape on HD with most graphics settings high if I want it to, but I keep it on low detail for some reason. It runs it fine though. I don't mind if L4D would run a little slower, as long as it's acceptable and playable, but not sure if it'll even let me on at the moment :P

CYRI has a reputation for being the worst checker ever. A better CPU checker would be this one.

Even then, it's still a rough estimate. On my PC, I have to have everything on medium and a resolution of 960xSome number I can't remember, and even then, when the Horde comes about, I suffer bad FPS drops. And really you can't compare it to RuneScape HD, since it's so ridiculously low end graphics.

WorldOfAVR_Part1_Avacyn_ajg5pfqs0fs.png

CYRI has a reputation for being the worst checker ever. A better CPU checker would be this one.

Even then, it's still a rough estimate. On my PC, I have to have everything on medium and a resolution of 960xSome number I can't remember, and even then, when the Horde comes about, I suffer bad FPS drops. And really you can't compare it to RuneScape HD, since it's so ridiculously low end graphics.

Thanks <3: This sounds brilliant, but I'm having trouble running the program, it just says error when I accept and I don't know why :( Any suggestions?

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Excuse double post :P However, I managed to find a fix for that site, then I ran it and it says I may run L4D :D Thanks guys :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Solved methinks

Well, chances are that it doesn't like the Intel HD graphics due to the specifics of how it runs, as Intel HD graphics are integrated into the Intel iX (3, 5, or 7) processors and do not have their own independent memory, and therefore it uses a dynamically sized portion of the memory the processor uses for graphics, which is perfectly fine for most situations. The one major area where Intel HD Graphics runs into issues is running most games, as many modern games are both CPU and GPU intensive leading to both the main processor and the Intel HD graphics trying to get more memory out of the shared supply. (Runescape is a somewhat different case as it uses the CPU for some portions of the graphics processes regardless of what mode you are on.)

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source