Gaming Rig - Decisions, decisions

Georgelemmons

Okay. I have 4 decisions to make before I go ahead with planning everything else.

AMD vs. Intel -

this amd cpu vs this intel cpu. It seems that everyone is leaning Intel on this one.

GTX 590 vs Radeon 6990 vs SLI vs Crossfire? - BIG IMAGES; HALP

[hide]

Originally I was looking at the GTX 590; extremely fast, quiet compared to what I heard the 6990 was like. It seems like the 590 is slightly better.

22_6990vs590_big.png

But then, why not sli two 570s for the same price?

25_multi_big.png

26_multi-aa_big.png

[/hide]

SSD - Yes/no?

Going completely SSD is not something I want to do, but I was wondering how much a boost it would be to install windows on a small (30gb?) ssd as well as a few startup programs, and then use a normal 7200 drive for games/storage. How much of an effect on gaming will a 10k have over a 7200 HDD?

RAM - Overclocking and whatnot

In his last post, spork says he heard buying ram past 1600 is pointless because you can just overclock it. Any truth to this?

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

If your building a really good gaming rig, Buy a i7 instead of AMD. (in my opinion)

I dont know much on AMD, but with Intel you can buy Triple Channel kits (AMD dont support triple channel) which save 50% to buying them in seperate sticks. For me I payed $135 AU for 6GB 3x2GB DDR3 as opposed to something like $330 for them seperate.

If you go Intel, i7 its best to use Triple Channel Kits and i5 go for Double Channel Kits.

and PLEASE don't fall into that Sandybridge [cabbage] of a CPU, its only good if your not buying a graphics card, which as a gaming rig you should be.

Popoto.~<3

yes, i like ASUS but i'd def req getting an I7 like above poster, also, if your building a gaming rig i'd go a little bigger and get either a Sabertooth or a Rampage for the mb

i don't play psykick anymore... i play 2ed: "pure fett"

26081 to get 99 herblore

tim - I've thought about the processor at length.. I was originally thinking an i7 but I like this a lot: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103923

I've heard a lot of people say that intels at lower clock speeds beat AMD.. not sure why. Can anyone else give me factual evidence on this? and as for the ram, I was siding with 4gb of ram. I could go for 8, but I rarely ever come close to filling 4gb, so speed > volume for me.

psykick - What's too small about the motherboard? I only need 1 PCIe x16 slot for the graphics card, and that mb has everything else I need. Oh well, might as well turn this into a build-a-comp thread. I want a great gaming computer at $1500 or under.

I KNOW this is overkill. But.. I want it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130630

Other than that I haven't looked at getting other parts yet.

1ekn0o.jpg

I wish I could have a 590 (Donations plox?)

Anyways I'm going to have to say that AMD is a terrible choice for a high end gaming computer. Go with an i7 or i5 2x00k, and enjoy overclocks of 5ghz on a decent aftermarket heatsink/fan. Read some Tomshardware benchmarks, they show how AMD processors bottleneck high end GPUs. As fo rram, I'd go for a 2x4gb kit, but if you're sure you dont need it, then it's your decision.

Sandy bridge is only a problem for gaming if you plan to go SLI. If you can wait a few months though, Ivy Bridge is coming Q3/4 and is going to be the replacement for the i7 900 series.

I don't plan on going SLI (the 590 should take anything I throw at it for a loong time). How about this intel processor? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070

On second thought.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072 Would that be okay? Cutting a little cost would be nice since I'm splurging on the 590. I lose 100mhz and hyper-threading support for $90 in savings. Yes/no?

On to moar ram: http://[Censored - Don&#39;t use a URL shortner]/f2OKt I'm thinking the patriot.

1ekn0o.jpg

Both the i5 2500k and the i7 2600k are great CPU's - I don't think you're going to loose a ton if you go with the i5. You'll definately want third party very good quality CPU cooling - those Sandy Bridge's go crazy high overclocked. Also - I wouldn't base your build around the motherboard, instead base your motherboard around your build. That way you aren't confined to parts that are supported by your motherboard. Definitely go with Intel as opposed to AMD for CPU for high end games, as was said above. For around $750 on graphics cards, definitely look into the 6990. Skimming over a couple of benchmarks the 6990 looks a bit faster than the 590, although both are amazing cards and perhaps a little OTT, it depends on what you want out of them.

To your initial question about RAM being intended for Intel but used with AMD - there should be no problem at all so long as the processor supports speed and type of RAM.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

I would take the 590 over the 6990. But the i5 will be more than fine, especially if you overclock it.

This isn't coming from me, but I've heard that there's no point in getting higher than 1600mhz RAM if you overclock as you have to change the multipliers or something. I've never overclocked myself, but it's apparently really easy on the i2k processors.

I would take the 590 over the 6990. But the i5 will be more than fine, especially if you overclock it.

This isn't coming from me, but I've heard that there's no point in getting higher than 1600mhz RAM if you overclock as you have to change the multipliers or something. I've never overclocked myself, but it's apparently really easy on the i2k processors.

Hmm, I'll look at that. I updated the first post to reflect where I'm at right now.

1ekn0o.jpg

To be honest, I doubt you'll find much speed increase with anything over 1600MHz RAM. I can play games absolutely fine with my setup (Q6600,4GB RAM,5850) and my RAM is DDR2 and 667MHz :P Thus I think 1600MHz DDR3 will be fine.

RIP TET

original.png

I like your idea of going to a SSD for the OS. Personally I'd jump to the 60Gb and install the games I play most and the programs you run. 30Gb pretty much is the OS and not a lot more once everything is updated and running. Also you need to take into consideration that you're spending half your budget on your graphics card. As the SSD does not make the performance of the overall computer change much I wouldn't recommend you get one thinking it will change much. I have a 60Gb OCZ Vertex 2 and I love it but it was an afterthought on my build and haven't really sent many people down that road. If it's a consideration to spend the money on it then go for it, you likely won't regret the speed benefits of program start times. To be honest when I start working again this summer I will likely buy a second 60Gb and run them in Raid 0 for even faster starts. :) Extreme overkill yes! If you're thinking of the 10,000RPM HDD don't bother going that route. Most reviews I read when picking a SSD said that solid state destroyed the WD Velociraptor. It all depends on whether you want to spend the money or not. I'm sure the 7,200 would be fine for all gaming. I am also not really a gamer on the computer and therefore do not have much to say about running high end games. It would be nice to see some pics of the rig once you decide to build it though!

I like your idea of going to a SSD for the OS. Personally I'd jump to the 60Gb and install the games I play most and the programs you run. 30Gb pretty much is the OS and not a lot more once everything is updated and running. Also you need to take into consideration that you're spending half your budget on your graphics card. As the SSD does not make the performance of the overall computer change much I wouldn't recommend you get one thinking it will change much. I have a 60Gb OCZ Vertex 2 and I love it but it was an afterthought on my build and haven't really sent many people down that road. If it's a consideration to spend the money on it then go for it, you likely won't regret the speed benefits of program start times. To be honest when I start working again this summer I will likely buy a second 60Gb and run them in Raid 0 for even faster starts. :) Extreme overkill yes! If you're thinking of the 10,000RPM HDD don't bother going that route. Most reviews I read when picking a SSD said that solid state destroyed the WD Velociraptor. It all depends on whether you want to spend the money or not. I'm sure the 7,200 would be fine for all gaming. I am also not really a gamer on the computer and therefore do not have much to say about running high end games. It would be nice to see some pics of the rig once you decide to build it though!

It may be a little while.. Testing season is fast approaching.

Anyway, I like the ssd idea too. I'm probably going to expand the budget a little; keeping it under $1500 with the card I want + the processor I want is unrealistic.

Does anyone have experience with SLI? Any opinions on the graphics card?

And finally.. Any last opinions on the cpu?

1ekn0o.jpg

Intel i5 2500k or i7 2600k will suit you just fine. Make sure you buy 3rd party cooling though, can't stress it enough. Those things overclock like beasts and you'll want to keep the temperatures under control. Either of them are great, it's pretty much limited by your budget.

RIP TET

original.png