Narcissism in Popular Music

Range_This11

That was a big part of the counterargument article I posted. Basically they took all the lyrics and plugged them into a computer program that analyzed them. Whether or not the results are in context or not, there is a definitely a trend.

I've always thought the whole "i" deal (iTunes, iPod, myTouch phones, etc.) was on the rise. It's a great marketing technique. Sell the same product to everyone, but market it as individualistic. Don Draper would be proud :lol:

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Don Draper would be proud :lol:

:-k

I'll stick to my indie music that still have some passion and aren't ego maniacs.

:?

Anyways... I definitely think the rap of today is nothing but formulaic exaggerated auto-biographies. Other genres like rock and pop sure do know how to be egoistical too, but rap comes off as the most "IM SO [bleep]IN COOL, I WAS RAISED ON THE STREET LOOK AT ME NOW [bleep]", when you take context into consideration.

Don Draper would be proud :lol:

:-k

:mellow:

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Songs suck more in general today.

I hate it when people say this.

You're not looking hard enough.

the vast majority of things produced today are inferior to things produced 20+ years ago.

Do you agree with this statement?

I know this wasn't directed at me, but it depends on your definition of inferior.

Subjectivity.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing wrong with rap.

What are the majority of rap songs concerned with today?

so... all white americans are trash because most of them are trash. cool.

ain't nothin' wrong with narcissism. Good music is good, rap music does have its downs but their are several newer artists that put a new spin on rap imo.. cyne, nujabes, etc.

Nothing wrong with rap.

What are the majority of rap songs concerned with today?

so... all white americans are trash because most of them are trash. cool.

ain't nothin' wrong with narcissism. Good music is good, rap music does have its downs but their are several newer artists that put a new spin on rap imo.. cyne, nujabes, etc.

PM me for fitocracy invite