Idiotic Realtek audio manager

OldJoe

Hi.

I changed my OS from Win XP to 7 a few days ago, and one thing that annoys me is Realtek.

I don't remember which version i had of the audio manager but this one i got atm (driver - 6.0.1.6363, codec - alc883, latest one from their site) doesn't work as i want to.

The one in XP allowed me to choose what sort of speaker i plugged into the computer, i used to choose the rear speakers as front speakers to get a fuller sound.

However, this one in Win7 won't allow me. It doesn't allow me to choose what type i plug in, so it's on rear speakers, which doesn't really contribute that much to the sound environment.

The test sound in the audio manager is as full on the rear as the front speakers, but not when i play music.

I'd like some suggestions if possible.

Thanks.

Edit: I mean this is the pop-up window that i want:

64646464694.png

I tried to install the Realtek program that's aimed for my mobo from Foxconns website, but it refuses to install "installation failed"... blablabla argh, [developmentally delayed] [cabbage] ass programs!

Edit2: If i click "disable front panel jack detection", i can click the mic and speaker jack on the audio manager, but i still can't click the back panel icons...

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

I may have a few ideas that might contribute to your problem. But seeing as you post here regularly and know your way around a a computer, how about posting all of your system specs so we can get a bigger picture. Partially confused because you say you've upgraded to windows 7 but it looks like a Vista desktop. I would say that there is a conflict between windows controlling sound and Realtek.

Edit: Nevermind, just noticed it was just a picture for reference, but system specs would help.

randomkcopyq.png

I may have a few ideas that might contribute to your problem. But seeing as you post here regularly and know your way around a a computer, how about posting all of your system specs so we can get a bigger picture. Partially confused because you say you've upgraded to windows 7 but it looks like a Vista desktop. I would say that there is a conflict between windows controlling sound and Realtek.

Edit: Nevermind, just noticed it was just a picture for reference, but system specs would help.

Specs are in the pic thread, but anyways:

AMD 4670, Intel E4500 2.7ghz, Foxconn 946GZ7MA-KS2H mobo, 4gb ram.

The picture i posted was an example picture of what i want to see on my computer, the screenshot is from another computer here which runs Vista.

mydekstop.png

I have the same Realtek control panel on my computer, so I see what your problem is. When I insert lets say my headphones in the front audio panels the popup asks me what I just plugged in, does this show up for you? Do you have the icon as shown in my desktop, or access to the panel so you can check the settings? Also did you try downgrading to an earlier driver to see if you have the same problem. Also for an attempt, when you run the Realtek Program and it failed have you tried right clicking and running as administrator or possibly compatibility?

I hope maybe if we compare setups we can root out the problem

randomkcopyq.png

It's entirely probable that the Realtek drivers are now updated enough to not allow you to select rear speakers for that jack, since you're not supposed to do that. I would suggest if you want the rear speakers option, you plug into the rear speaker jack, not the headphone jack, however I highly doubt the sound will actually be better when set that way as "rear speakers" are a subset of a surround sound system, which presumably you don't have.

It's entirely probable that the Realtek drivers are now updated enough to not allow you to select rear speakers for that jack, since you're not supposed to do that. I would suggest if you want the rear speakers option, you plug into the rear speaker jack, not the headphone jack, however I highly doubt the sound will actually be better when set that way as "rear speakers" are a subset of a surround sound system, which presumably you don't have.

I have them plugged into the rear speaker jack at the moment.

I don't know if my text is a bit cryptic, but i haven't got anything plugged into the headphone jack. The text about the front side was just to say that i am able to choose what i've plugged in on the front jack.

But i am not entirely sure of what you are trying to say about the rear speakers, are you suggesting that i should choose another jack for them or what? Confused.

The setup i got is the Logitech X-530 5.1.

I am gonna try and see if i can get a driver which are a couple of years older that Win7 allows me to install, which works the way i want.

When I say rear I'm not referring to the rear of the computer, I'm referring to the actual jack on the motherboard that's solely intended for rear speakers.

Your screenshot of your Realtek panel shows it's detected input in the green jack on the rear, which is the headphone/stereo speaker jack.

Also your speakers can't possibly be working properly in 5.1 mode with only a single analogue jack which is perhaps why they didn't sound that great on the proper setting?

There seems to be confusion about the screenshot, it's an example of what i want to be able to choose from my computer, the screenshot in the first picture is from another computer.

This is mine:

screenshot2011060519175.png

Well, I see what you're trying to do now, and I'm 99% sure you can no longer do it at all. Older drivers are unlikely to work, especially if you're on Windows 7 x64. In fact, not just unlikely, with x86 XP drivers won't work full stop, they'd have to be x64 drivers, and usually only Vista or above works.

However, look at the advanced settings in the top right, I think there's something that allowed you to turn on "jack detection" or something to enable that popup, but I'm not sure.

Yes, that's what i've feared. The problem is that the computer needs to restart when you install the current codec to install the older one, but! Then Windows installs the latests one automatically anyways.

And since i lack the Group Manager feature (Win7 Premium), i can't do anything about it.

God damn, this sucks so much.

You could always get a new sound card. They tend to be really cheap, although the high end ones go for about $100.

Mhm, there's some Creative for around 15, altho i've heard various voices about their drivers.

Onboard sound is very good these days and will beat most older soundcards. What you're actually looking for here is a sound card with software that allows you to set the rear speakers to be front speakers, which is not something that you're supposed to do and thus I doubt there will be many manufacturers who include that "feature".

Onboard sound is very good these days and will beat most older soundcards. What you're actually looking for here is a sound card with software that allows you to set the rear speakers to be front speakers, which is not something that you're supposed to do and thus I doubt there will be many manufacturers who include that "feature".

Yes, true. But i'll try and have a look on what they offer.

But as it is now, those two extra speakers don't do much at all.

I tried an older Realtek driver from 2010 (managed to close the the installation app before it set to work), but no change.