DODS - Day of defeat source

maksta

Sorry not source. :(

My comp cant handle it so I settle with regular DoD. Ive heard that DoDS doesnt even remind of DoD, and that the gameplay is much worse.

I would like to read a comparison by you though.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have small purple pet elephants named Jack. Put this in your sig if you are one of the 8% who like to do the fandango on Wednesday afternoons

I'll see if I can whip up a comparison for ya (I play both dod and dod:s)

The simple answer is that you can't really compare them.

This may seem a little obtuse, but its true, they are essentially different games. Many people expected a beefed up version of dod and were dissapointed when dod:s came out and was a different game entirely. The principles are all the same and the graphics are way better with insane physics and a more interactive environment, but the gamestyle itself changed.

This being said, the main difference between the games is a sense of realism. In source, assault rifles are not very accurate at distance and shooting someone in the foot with a rifle is not always instant death. Grenades will "blur" your vision if it goes off near you (which is relly annoying sometimes but makes sense) and bazookas have a much greater radius of affect. Smoke grenades tend to make mgs and snipers less effective so much of the game is close combat.

In general I've found that dod:s is a faster game, assault types smokign in for close combat and quick combat. Much of the pinpoint accuracy of the pub super stars is gone. For instance, in dod a regular tommy gun was accurate for as far as you could keep the recoil down. In dod:s, even if its on the enemy, it still might not hit.

In the end it comes down to personal preference. I happen to like dod:s more but still play dod every once and awhile. One draw back is that there isn't very many maps to play for dod:s as of now and the ones we do have are pretty much exhausted. Still, I like the gameplay better as it is much more difficult for one team to place 3 mgs up and completely dominate the map for the entire round. Stalemates are much less frequent and the action is far more abundant.

If you ever get a better comp, i difinitly suggest dod:s as it is still a kick [wagon] game, even if it is slightly different than the origional.

oh and on dod I play as fxgranite

on dod:s I play as fxgranite[CLR.P]

the p stands for punching squad :wink:

I play, alot.

My name is FSR | Barihawk

It will be random finding me, as I just hop around the well populated servers. My favorite map is Argentan, so you will most likely find me there. :)

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

barihawk do you typically play as a sniper? or was it some other dude with a similar name who destroyed me the other day? :oops:

Nah, I usually am Support, Bazooka, or Infantry. Sniping was never my Forte.

You will often find me in the evenings in the 5th Rangers Batallion server. Its usually pretty full and plays decent maps.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

I think I really need to try it now, acoupel of friends got it so Im gonna try it over there. I havent dared to do that before, just in case I get hooked... But now Im too curious :)

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have small purple pet elephants named Jack. Put this in your sig if you are one of the 8% who like to do the fandango on Wednesday afternoons

haha well i'll tell u now................... u'll get hooked :P, but its well worth it. but i would like to see some more levels on it, but i ain't complaining i love the levels it has.. and some of the custom maps that have bin made r awesome as well :twisted:

haha well i'll tell u now................... u'll get hooked :P, but its well worth it. but i would like to see some more levels on it, but i ain't complaining i love the levels it has.. and some of the custom maps that have bin made r awesome as well :twisted:

Fear not, Kalt is coming out.

If you want a good custom, play Anvil. It's a home project by the oldest official mapper.

Untitled.png

bah they should have created something else before kalt. Kalt always just turns into a nade fest because its so linear.

I used to play on Cain's Lair exclusively (hence CLR) but its been empty for too long and I tend to server hop. I'll be back on my main comp tonight so maybe I'll see you guys on there.

....and I will punch you to death at some point :twisted:

bah they should have created something else before kalt. Kalt always just turns into a nade fest because its so linear.

I used to play on Cain's Lair exclusively (hence CLR) but its been empty for too long and I tend to server hop. I'll be back on my main comp tonight so maybe I'll see you guys on there.

....and I will punch you to death at some point :twisted:

Hah, I played on Cain's Lair alot on both DoD and DoD:S. See ya around.

Untitled.png