Extremely High Ping

Divine_Hero

I have never had this problem before, and I seem to have no solution atm. Normally when I'm playing RuneScape, or just browsing the web, everything runs normally. Up until about a week ago, when it took me a lot longer to load everything, and while playing RuneScape, I had a delay of ~5 seconds. I decided to look at my ping, and the results were surprisingly high. I did the test in Command Prompt, and had a ping of 712ms being average, 387ms lowest, and 1088ms being highest. Two days ago, I ran the same test, and the highest was 2028ms, lowest being 1892ms. It has never been this high, normally I run at about 30-60ms. It's causing problems for me, as I can't do anything I want in RuneScape without having a massive delay.

A few things to know: I have a PS3, which runs off of Wireless internet through a linksys router. My family normally uses it to watch movies on Netflix. We have an Xbox360, which my brother never shuts off, which runs on wired internet. (He literally has it on 24/7, which is bad for the Xbox.) We have 6 laptops, and 2 desktops, but normally only 1 desktop and 2 laptops are on at a time.

Now, I've noticed that my ping is only high at about 1pm-2am ish. I can't be sure what's causing this, and I don't know how to fix it. Any suggestions, other than playing RuneScape from 3am-noon?

vNewDisease.png vNewDisease.png

~I am a true Hero.~

First of all, try to shutdown everything but your computer. If the problem is fixed, you know the cause, overload on the local network. If its not fixed, it could be overload on the ISPs side. But try to run your computer dedicately on your lan.

My lame drops:
6 Effigys
1 D Med - 1 D Dagger
1 Verac's Helmet - 1 Guthan's Platebody

I suggest getting a better router maybe, one that would run all those things smoothly. Otherwise, try connecting your pc directly from the internet cable..

What kind of router would support so many different internet connections?

vNewDisease.png vNewDisease.png

~I am a true Hero.~

I suggest getting a better router maybe, one that would run all those things smoothly. Otherwise, try connecting your pc directly from the internet cable..

What kind of router would support so many different internet connections?

Linksys routers aren't all that great anymore. If it's an old one, no matter what the brand it will not be as good as new ones are today. Cisco/linksys are no longer as good as they may once have been.

Routers are rather cheap, around £40, or $65 (it should be cheaper in the US though).

If you could post a speedtest from speedtest.net it would be helpful, to make sure it's not your ISP slowing down your internet and it is in fact your router.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche