Tip.It Times - 30th October 2011

jimmy_jim

First up, I want to say FSM, it was a very well written article. You have articulated your points very well, even though I may not agree completely.

-------

I will try to disengage completely from the pissing contest and (if even subtle) flaming that has come before. I do see merit in the points raised, but I also am concerned by some. I have seen a number of threads in H+A (and advice requests in game) that have been extremely vague in regards to the topic at hand (lets say, for instance, what is the best gear to bandos in) and provide NO RESTRICTION in the beginning. Obviously, this is met by remarks regarding Torva, Elysian/Spectral/whatever - gear the effectively cuts out a large proportion of people bandosing (seemingly). Of course, this has been met with flaming and angst regarding the "efficiency trolls" answering with such suggestion because the restrictions should be self-evident rather than having to be explained (because afterall we have full knowledge of your gear, bank worth and whatnot).

This flaming is unacceptable (well, in theory, I mean, I'm not a mod, I don't enforce the rules).

Conversely, in situations where the "efficiency trolls" (ignoring the fact that simply naming them this is beyond moronic and creates an environment where they are more likely to troll) do act outside of the restrictions - when given - is somewhat non-sensicle because whilst in a generalised situation it is (the majority of the time) very good advice, it is of no relevance to the individual player. If this gets taken to far, again, this is unacceptable.

Regarding Dungeoneering, you're right, we should learn at our own pace. But to simply refuse the advice of those who research things and have a vast knowledge (hell, I'm still learning things about ABD2s and Occs @ 106) marginalises ones ability to learn and progress. I agree that in some cases, the teachers can come across as confronting - if not aggressive - but in any situation involving imparting knowledge - classroom, university, tuition of any kind really - there are going to be teachers who are kind and willing to protect your feelings, and others who are to the point, and expect the best of you (and of course, hundreds of mid-grounds in between).

All teaching styles are valid. That said, this is a game, you are in a situation to step back and say "I don't want to do it this way". Now, this may be met with contempt but too bad. People aren't going to like the decisions you make, regardless of the how airy-fairy we put it.

Having had experience previously with the efficiency guys and being on XPW, I know them to be very respectful, but this seems to get caught up in the hype that has been built up here and elsewhere that they are somehow simply out to destroy the fun of the game and whatnot.

We all play the game how we want - that's a given.

We all have the ability to give advice that we deem to be relevant to the questions asked, if we have the knowledge.

We can disagree on not.

We don't have to flame either side about it. And lets face it, once one side starts, the other is rarely going to just stand and take it.

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

I know there are complaints about groups not taking time out to teach, however, with regards to DG it seems there's some pretty good FAQs and starting information on Tip.IT and XPW sites. I've been a professional instructor, and it annoyed me when students were sent my way without the minimum level of knowledge spelled out. You're given 13 weeks to churn out a satellite communication technician so taking even a day out of the schedule to brush up on basics screws up the lesson plan. Similarly, playing DG for fun and having to take two hours out of your time to bring up a guy that didn't do the basic homework gets to you.

It might seem rude and dismissive in the mind of the student to hear "Read the FAQs and Starting Guide". However, he only hears it once, the instructor has likely had to say dozens of times. The FAQs benefit the group. It's like all those questions sent via private chat or message when it would have been better to ask on the open forum. It helps the group.

Now, if a guy or gal did the basics and is earnest to learn, and you got people being jerks cause they're starting out, yeah, that's legit. Now you're talking about hypocrits that forgot they also started out knowing next to nothing. I know I try to remember my mindset when I was learning and apply that when I'm teaching the methods. It helps stop any pitfalls which don't help the learning experience. I sure as heck don't try to do to others what I didn't like done to me as a student.

TL-DR: Some people don't do the minimum homework prior to starting DG class then expect extra help anyway. Some DG teachers forget what it was like to be a student.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Great article. Atm i am scared to go Dungeoneering. I came back to RS 2 weeks ago after a year off to find my account had been hacked, emptied and then sold!

So after recovering it, i found whoever had my account levelled it to 40 Dungeoneering. So I went to have a go myself. I got there and im like can I join any groups please? tried the room you go in to be put in a team.

Alls i got was 'omg LOL you a 135 who doesnt know how to dungeoneer' etc etc and similar. I tried for an hour to get a team, eventually I tried alone, I probably sucked alot and tbh, didnt enjoy it and thats sort of put me off.

When I was on RS 24/7 in the past, I would help anyone, any level to do things, or show them where places are etc. It seems kindness has gone from many.

Tonypopps.png

@Tonypopps:

If you're ever around when I am online, give me a shout. I'd be more than delighted to do some floors with you, regardless your ability. And so would members of my own clan.

Cheers.

:mrgreen:

Taliesyn.png

"Like Cornelius Agrippa, I am god, I am hero, I am philosopher, I am demon and I am world, which is a tedious way of saying that I do not exist." ---The Immortal