Thinking about the future

Randox

So, a while back I got a new computer, but being the impatient person I am I went with a prebuilt, even though the most expensive computer available has what is probably at best the lowest range of proper modern gaming gpu (it will do most things at max, though gta 4 and skyrim demand the next step down).

Anyway, here is the complete build:

• Windows 7 64 bit
  • AMD Phenom II X6 1065T (Thuban 45nm Technology) (6 core @ 2.9Ghz)
  • 12.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
  • FOXCONN 2A92 (CPU 1) <- Motherboard
  • ATI Radeon HD 6770 (HP) (with 1 GB GDDR5 RAM)
  • 1954GB Western Digital WDC WD20EARS-60MVWB0 SCSI Disk Device
  • DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
    hp BD E DH12E3LH SCSI CdRom Device

I have two questions. First I was looking at the motherboard, and I saw these blank slots, and I don't have a blazing clue what would go in them.

insideslot.png

They are about an inch long.

Second, did I manage to buy something that was put together with the absolute bare minimum or parts that would hold it together, or is this thing going go have some upgrade potential in a year or two, when its graphics card can't keep up anymore. It's ludicrously unbalanced between the graphics and the CPU/RAM, since there is no possible way it will ever manage to run anything that will strain it unless I take up using my computer to crunch simulations of nuclear explosions or something, but my hope is that it just means it will be able to keep up with more robust graphics sometime down the line.

The PSU is rated for 460W, but I honestly have no idea where that stands. I don't know if that's the bare minimum to run its current GPU, or if I could throw in the top of the line model and it would be all rainbows and sunshine.

It does have another RAM slot available (like I'm going to need it), so my hope is that other than apparently only working with AMD processors, its motherboard is not a total POS. Also, I can't say working with AMD processors bothers me, since I don't see replacing the current one anytime soon.

So did I accidently buy something that's going to be a paper weight when it turns 3, or is there some hope of it being upgraded in the future.

Also, if it say turns out that the motherboard and CPU are all fine, but it will need a new PSU to handle a better GPU, just how unfeasible is it to put in a bigger PSU?

In the mean time, it runs like a dream. The only time its ever really had trouble when when my system goofed and didn't terminate the java process for each instance of runescape as I closed it down. By the time it was running 7 instances at once, it was having a little trouble maintaining a frame rate above 20.

To start off with the picture and question, those are PCI-Express x1 slots, which basically mean that a card that can run at pci-e x8 can also go into that slot, but will have significantly lower transfer speeds. The benefits of this you ask? not much comes into my mind, except for the fact that theres a larger range of pci-e cards (You'll probably never use it, i know i never had to)

pci-express-slots.gif?w=474

Your build does look good for modern games, I should last you a while before having to upgrade drastically. Unfortunatley there are limits that are you're motherboard has. There is no second PCI-E x16/x8 slot s you woouldn't be able to Crossfire/SLI another graphics card. That mean you'll have to buy a completely new card if you choose to increase your GPU performance. Also I'm not sure if you can overclock on this board which would be good because you can get higher performance without spending money on a new processor.

Also, if it say turns out that the motherboard and CPU are all fine, but it will need a new PSU to handle a better GPU, just how unfeasible is it to put in a bigger PSU?

I'm not sure what you mean here, but at any time of your choosing you can simply take out your PSU and buy a new PSU with higher wattage. Most people have around 550+ PSUs, most cards recommend/have a minimum wattage that a PSU should have which is around the 500 watt mark.

Your build is fine, granted that it will be outdated in the coming years but it should still carry you for the long run fairly well.

randomkcopyq.png

I agree with Lord_Diddy here, your computer should last a while before being outdated. The only problem I have with this is that Foxconn boards are usually low end and low quality boards, so it might not last as long as you'd like, but usually the motherboard isn't the first thing to go.

Since it's an HP as you mentionned, because of the size of the case, you might not be able to upgrade it as you want, but if you want to upgrade it, you might have to change the PSU, to upgrade the graphics card, since prebuilts usually use the minimum requirements on the PSU.

Thanks for the insight. I never even thought about installing 2 graphics cards at once as being a possibility (not that it is here, since as you said and I noticed last night, its only got the one slot).

I am hoping I can get a good two years out of it before I even look at an upgrade, at which time I will see if its worth bringing it up to spec or just get a new one, probably a custom this time. I also can't say overclocking has been a thought for me. I tried that with my last PC, and either because I didn't know what I was doing, or whatever, I actually ended up doing a hard reset inside the case because it couldn't even make it all the way to BIOS. Since I don't think this thing has cracked 50% for more than a few seconds, except with the 7 javas, I am hoping that wont be an issue for a while.

Oh, and while I had it open, it has a disturbing amount of dust (I'm also not liking the GPU fan, which seems to be designed to inhale as much dust as possible from the top side and then vigorously distribute it to the interior of the card itself) in there. Any tips on cleaning it out that I should know about , or should I just shut it down, tilt it so its open side down, and go to town with some compressed air (I just don't want to accidently blow dust in further when I was supposed to take the parts out to clean them rather than doing it in the case).

A key factor keeping your computer running good and lasting a long time is keeping it nice and cool, and not exposed to too much heat. Dust is a major problem in keeping your hardware cool, cutting off circulation of air would mean quick death for most of your computer parts. As soon as possible clean the case and components as thoroughly as you can. Also when cleaning your computer ALWAYS remove any power sources, keep it unplugged until you are finished. Normally I see dust collect on my outer fans which I take care of using a vacuum hose with a bristle attachment which prevents pushing the dust further into the case. When cleaning the hardware inside it requires a much more delicate touch, since it is prone to static and getting fried. You should be fine with a compressed can of air.

I'm not sure about the GPU fan you are talking about, you should clean it as much as possible (maybe use a soft bristle toothbrush to help?) to and whenever you get the chance, check the temperatures to see if they are within a normal range (also check your CPU temperature). You could always add new fans to your case if you have the room (or actually buy a better case altogether) to increase air flow/dust reduction.

randomkcopyq.png

This is what I mean by the fan:

insidegpufan.th.png

That's an intake, so once it gets up to speed, its sucking in all the dust (note the amount of dust sitting on top of the card) that fall on it, and blasting it inside the card. Since every other computer on this planet has the motherboard on the other side of the case, my graphics card is upside down, so rather than put the circuit board on top with a fan under it that would suck up lean air, the fan is on top letting everything fall inside. I think I'm going to make a little tent for it to keep dust from settling near the fan in the future.

Also didn't realize the picture was quite that big :shock: So I'll use the thumbnail instead.

And I don't think it ever really gets above 50C, so it seems to be pretty good temp wise. As far as I know, anything under 60-65 should be fine, but of course the lower the better. Web browsing its barely above room temperature.

If the vacuum isn't made for computers, I strongly suggest against using the vacuum on the computer. Same with a toothbrush, it could take off some components as well as create some static electricity. The best and cheapest way of doing it would be to use a can of compressed air to clear out the dust from the computer.