Startup Problem

Blake

So today I wanted to reorganize the computer I built over Christmas, from the topic I had around then. I moved the hard drive and optical drive closer together, and took out some extra cords, because I was able to put both of them on the same power cord that way. I also organized the cords a little bit. During this, I unplugged the hard drive, optical drive, and one cord from the graphics card.

When I put it all back together and started it up, it said it wasn't able to boot and did a system recovery to yesterday. After that, it started up normally until the log-on screen. When I put in the password, it just went to a black screen with the mouse pointer. I could move the mouse around. But, I hit ctrl+alt+delete, and was able to start the task manager. It went back to the black screen, but the task manager window came up, and I was able to use it. I was able to start it in safe mode too. After a couple restarts, I just started the task manager on the black screen and let it sit there. After about 7 minutes, a bunch of processes popped up and my desktop showed up like normal. What would cause this? Everything is working fine right now, but if I reboot I'll have to wait 7 more minutes after the black screen to get on my computer again. Also, it deleted all of my saved passwords on Chrome somehow.

2s0cxth.png

Take a look here, you might find some advice.

If you move everything back to where it was before (hard drive, optical drive, etc), does the problem go away?

When you run Task Manager, go to File > New Task (run) and try typing "explorer."

Let us know. :>

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

Take a look here, you might find some advice.

If you move everything back to where it was before (hard drive, optical drive, etc), does the problem go away?

When you run Task Manager, go to File > New Task (run) and try typing "explorer."

Let us know. :>

Well I restarted it again, and it worked fine. It seemed to take longer on the "Welcome" screen, when it was instant before after logging in.

I dont think moving them back would work, as I just moved the optical drive 2 bays down and the hard drive 1 bay up. I would be more scared of screwing something else up if I put them back, would that really be a problem?

When I restarted it after it worked last time, it did it again. explorer[Caution: Executable File] was running, and I ended it with the intention of starting it again, but right when I ended it, it restarted itself and loaded the desktop. I'll keep trying other things.

Are you sure everything is plugged in?

I'm pretty sure it is, I can take it back apart and look again though.

2s0cxth.png

The placement of the drivers shouldn't change anything. Inconsistant startup issues are pretty hard to diagnose, but there is a reason it's doing it. When you took your computer apart, did you have some sort of protection (Antistatic wristband, etc)? Are you sure everything is seated properly as well?

Ending and restarting explorer[Caution: Executable File] fixes it every time. When I did it, I was on a wood surface, no band and I touched the case a lot. I'm going to take it back apart and see if anything looks wrong.

Edit: on that page Jeremy linked, it said to put the security on the hard drive to allow access to everybody. I tried to do that, and this came up...

[hide]bgHmz.png [/hide]

2s0cxth.png

I made sure everything was connected, and it was. Didn't fix anything. Although, my ram and video card were warmer than they normally are (I think)

I did this (below in hide tags) and it worked. Any ideas why? I'm going to turn it back on and see if it still works

[hide]THis issue is caused, in my case, by USER ACCOUNT CONTROL. If you JUST installed a driver, or a bunch of drivers like me after replacing the motherboard, and you get a black screen AFTER you logon, proceeding a restart, the drivers, Nvidia or ATI in my case, are trying to FINISH the install or something and user account control is blocking them from finishing; since the logon process can't finish, windows 7 does not continue in loading the rest of your processes.

For this reason, a SECOND backup account is needed to allow you to logon and FIX the problem. I simply logged on with my second account, turned OFF user account control, and then logged on with the account that had the problem, my primary account, and THIS ALLOWED ME TO FINISHING LOGGING ON with it. Of course, I turned UAC back on for protection of the system after I was logged in with my normal account.

ALWAYS KEEP A SECOND ACCOUNT, FOR YOU TO BE ABLE TO LOGIN, IN CASE SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAPPENS OR YOU FORGET YOUR PASSWORD! THIS IS SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION 101 PEOPLE!

Driver suppliers NEED TO RESOLVE this aggravating issue; I was at the point of abandoning my primary account, 1 GB of settings and changes, until I tried this option.

I hope this helps everyone who has this "black screen after logon"[/hide]

link

Edit: it worked still after turning it back on. However, I noticed Avast is disabled, and I'm not able to turn it back on. Trying to fix that now...

I don't know what's wrong with Avast, when I click on the Fix Now button, or Enable, nothing happens. I was going to uninstall/reinstall, but I can't even uninstall it, or end it in Task Manager.

More Edit: Got avast reinstalled and working, did a full scan and nothing came up. Even though everything seems to be fixed, I'd like to know why it all happened. Any ideas?

2s0cxth.png