Lagspikes on RS - BT internet

Octarine

So, for the past week or so I've been having periods of lagspikes while playing, for 5-10 seconds every minute or two. As you can imagine, it makes most things pretty much unplayable.

ISP is BT and connect to the internet using the Bt homehub 2.0, my brother often plays rune at the same time as me and experiences the exact lagspike at the same time too, we both connect wirelessly, and the lagspikes happen while there is no other activity on the network too

I can test to see if a wired connection produces the same result however it isn't a practical longterm solution anyway - wireless is much more convenient for obvious reasons.

I've looked about the internet for this and it seems the problem could be on BT's end, however I'm unsure how to go about checking. I could try tracert while a lagspike happens, but is there a more specific adress to use than just runescape.com?

I've tried resets of the router too, can't think of anything else to say about it now but of course if theres anything else I can do just say :) wondering if anyone knows the best way to go about fixing/proving its not my problem/has a similar problem really :)

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give!

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

So, for the past week or so I've been having periods of lagspikes while playing, for 5-10 seconds every minute or two. As you can imagine, it makes most things pretty much unplayable.

ISP is BT and connect to the internet using the Bt homehub 2.0, my brother often plays rune at the same time as me and experiences the exact lagspike at the same time too, we both connect wirelessly, and the lagspikes happen while there is no other activity on the network too

I can test to see if a wired connection produces the same result however it isn't a practical longterm solution anyway - wireless is much more convenient for obvious reasons.

I've looked about the internet for this and it seems the problem could be on BT's end, however I'm unsure how to go about checking. I could try tracert while a lagspike happens, but is there a more specific adress to use than just runescape.com?

I've tried resets of the router too, can't think of anything else to say about it now but of course if theres anything else I can do just say :) wondering if anyone knows the best way to go about fixing/proving its not my problem/has a similar problem really :)

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give!

I see that you have posted this 4 days ago. Is everything working fine? Or are you still having issues?

BT has been having bandwidth issues along with other things.

Try a wired connection. I know it's not ideal. However, with WiFi when you send and receive data, there's milliseconds that can go by where you get 'nothing'.

Also, try a tracert to runescape.com. And post the full results of it.

It honestly shouldn't be a routing issue. Are you using a Cable modem -> router? Or just Ethernet/phone line -> router?

If you can bypass the router and go straight to a laptop/desktop can you try that also?

Basically, lag is the time it takes from your data to be sent, wirelessly/through wired connection to a server. This server then sends it through the interweb to JaGex's servers. This then corresponds with your avatar on the screen. The data gets sent back the same way it came (though, may have taken a different route). The time it takes from one batch of data to go from YOUR computer and then back to you, is 'PING'. Your ping time corresponds with your lag.

If all else fails, try calling BT. Ask them if they can up your bandwidth cap, along with asking them if anyone else is experiencing problems like your own. They'd be more than happy to assist you.

I made a post on the BT forums, and a lot of other users commented with the same problem, from a wide range of games. Wired connection didn't help either, I know wireless isn;t exactly great but its hella convenient :P

The problem seems to have improved anyway, it was an issue on BT's end with connection to american servers or something. Anyway it seems to have cleared up now! :thumbsup:

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

I made a post on the BT forums, and a lot of other users commented with the same problem, from a wide range of games. Wired connection didn't help either, I know wireless isn;t exactly great but its hella convenient :P

The problem seems to have improved anyway, it was an issue on BT's end with connection to american servers or something. Anyway it seems to have cleared up now! :thumbsup:

Great news! :) I had also looked over on the BT site in regards to your problem. Generally all ISPs use outsourcing where they'll use 'unwanted/unneeded' servers in other countries.

Yes, by far WiFi is extremely convenient, but the reliability of a wired is also nice. Though, I know what you're saying.

So, lets hope that these lag spikes stop ;)

[Also, I should point out, almost all MMO games will have lag. But, it's the amount of people, and the type of situation which will make the company realize something might be wrong :P]