Digital and traditional stuff

Grasle

Figured I'd pull some stuff I have saved on my computer and post it for you guys since I haven't in a while. :oops:

[spoiler=an acrylic self portrait I did about a year and a half ago]2aio3k2.jpg

To make this I simply took a photo of myself, used the cutout feature in Photoshop, and painted the result. Easy stuff :P

[spoiler=my "first" digipainting, done about 6 months ago]2aj5or5.jpg

I did this for my school's yearbook. Our mascott is the jaguar, and the theme was detectives/top secret.

I applied the cutout filter to the body as I thought it looked better.

I say "first" because I was already experienced with Photoshop at the time and had done a few unfinished doodles, but never an entire work.

[spoiler=an acrylic painting finished a few weeks back]ibgynn.jpg

This is a more recent work. I don't think it balances itself very well but I'm happy enough with it. used one of my photographs for reference.

[spoiler=another digipainting; finished a few days ago]2hp2kcm.png

bit of a sloppy one. started from a pencil doodle of a homonoid creature.

thanks for looking :)

cliffside1ra5.png

omg its grasle!

how ya doing? :)

all the art looks amazing, I never knew you were so good, lol. I especially like the jaguar one for the yearbook. Very nice.

You know your way around acrylics. Can't say that of myself. Can't say I am good in anything happening outside the computer, all my doodles turn into stickmen or cars or boats.

But I love that balancing between trees picture. Really life-like, at first glance thought it was a photo. But I think you need to get it on higher resolution to truly see the brushstrokes and the mastery behind it...

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

I like the work you do, however the second last painting (regardless of whether it is referenced) is 100% my fav, something I'd want on my wall. :) I think I know what you mean about the balance. Something I learned while teaching myself portrait photography was it's perfectly okay to cut off body parts as long as you do it in the right place. The general rule is never ever cut a limb off at the joint. Since the bottom of the picture is very closely cropped to the persons knee joint, I think it might be creating the lack of tension and unbalance you referred to. Maybe if you crop a little higher above the knee it might balance it out but that could also unbalance other parts of the photo because I'm in love with the way the trees are framed. Might work, might not, either way - great photo's/Paintings :D

Jubei_Reborn.png

The Fox Returns!

omg its grasle!

how ya doing? :)

all the art looks amazing, I never knew you were so good, lol. I especially like the jaguar one for the yearbook. Very nice.

Heyaaaaaa Zaaps

Thanks! I've been doing well. gotten more into RS lately so I've been trying to denoob myself. :P

Drop me a message on "Gysp" sometime and tell me what's new?

You know your way around acrylics. Can't say that of myself. Can't say I am good in anything happening outside the computer, all my doodles turn into stickmen or cars or boats.

But I love that balancing between trees picture. Really life-like, at first glance thought it was a photo. But I think you need to get it on higher resolution to truly see the brushstrokes and the mastery behind it...

Thanks. I wasn't sure if bigger was too big. The great thing about acrylics is that they're so forgiving, so they aren't as discouraging to learn. I'm terrible at oils lol.

The computer really is a wonderful medium. Sometimes a stick figure can turn into something great, thanks to layers <3:

I like the work you do, however the second last painting (regardless of whether it is referenced) is 100% my fav, something I'd want on my wall. :) I think I know what you mean about the balance. Something I learned while teaching myself portrait photography was it's perfectly okay to cut off body parts as long as you do it in the right place. The general rule is never ever cut a limb off at the joint. Since the bottom of the picture is very closely cropped to the persons knee joint, I think it might be creating the lack of tension and unbalance you referred to. Maybe if you crop a little higher above the knee it might balance it out but that could also unbalance other parts of the photo because I'm in love with the way the trees are framed. Might work, might not, either way - great photo's/Paintings :D

Oo thank ya. I feel like something is either cut off, placed incorectly, or that my eyes just don't follow the rhythm that they should. I didn't even think of that... I'm sure that's one of the causes

cliffside1ra5.png