Monitoring Laptop's temperature in Fedora?

Sbrideau

Hi guys,

I've been using Fedora 16 as my main OS for about a week, but am seeing the laptop get much warmer than what it gets on Windows. I kept the dual boot but am thinking of completely removing Windows and running it in a virtual machine.

What I would like to know is if there are good programs or utilities to show the temperatures of not just the CPU but from most of the sensors. It appears to me that the graphics card is the one producing a lot more heat than on Windows. Also I'm running under the Gnome gui.

Thanks, I have installed lm_sensors, but I still can't seem to get the temperatures, just the activity information such as CPU usage, even with some of the aps that use it to run.. It's the temperature of the GPU that I want.

Hm, well I haven't personally used it myself since I haven't booted into Ubuntu in forever and never had a need to check temps, but I do know this is what my friends use and I technically did have it installed lol.

Quick little bit of Googling shows that you need to run the included "sensors-detect" to scan for all the sensors on your computer and then install the correct modules for lm to actually be able to work properly.

After everything's setup, you should be able to get what you want with just "sensors".

Source

Well it would seem that the laptop's GPU runs at 46 under Windows and 58 under Fedora (all in Celsius). I don't know what makes the difference, but there's also more cpu activity in Fedora, I thouht it would be the other way around but I guess not.

Managed to dig this up on why your gpu may be running warmer

Graphics Card Drivers

If you have a dedicated graphics card in your laptop, youll also be better off installing the proprietary graphics drivers provided by the hardware vendor. While the open source ones do an awesome job of getting the card to work, more often than not they dont include any control over the frequency scaling and keep the card running at max, along with all those other little features the card has, theyll probably all always be running.

Nvidia : Link

ATI/AMD : Link

http://alexsleat.co.uk/tag/fedora/

randomkcopyq.png

Oh, thanks! I previously installed the proprietary driver, but decided to remove it since I lost too many options such as the fn keys and that kind of stuff, I hate having the screen backlight at max, and I can't lower it with the proprietary drivers. Guess I'll either always run the graphics card at max or get the drivers and wait until a new version of the nouveau driver that would support what the card has and going back to it. Either way I'll probably choose the option when I don't have to have the screen at max brightness.