Virus Infection & Program Errors

Nexaduro

It started with a fake Microsoft Defender alert.

I did a manual force shutdown as soon as the message appeared, then restarted. The message had redirected me to a web page displayong the warning, so I hoped it hadn't already infected my computer, but it almost certainly has. I installed Spyware Doctor temporarily to find the cause of this, and it found something called Heur Zero-Day or some such. I couldn't do anything about it though, as this computer has no antivirus...

One day later, the computer needs to check the disks for consistency after I had panicked and forced another shutdown yesterday. The process finishes without incident. However, internet explorer displays an error message- something about not being able to find files- on initial startup attempts and then just doesn't do anything at all. Chrome, which I rarely use, still works. However, it displays an invalid security ticket for Gmail and Tip.it, though in the latter case only after I log in. I go to the AVG website and try to install, but I recieve an error message saying "This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.

... Also when I opened my downloads folder my copy of winRAR just disappeared after a few seconds.

This is a major issue, the computer isn't even mine. I can't even start in safe mode as I don't have the password, only a registered fingerprint.

Can anyone help?

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Don't try to install AVG, it's one of the worst antiviruses out there. Try to install Malwarebytes and see if it works. Also I would do it in safe mode with networking. Scan with Malwarebytes and a good antivirus (such as Avast or MSE). Oh, I just read that you can't get into safe mode. Just ask for the password so you can get into safe mode, but why would you need the password if you don't need it in normal mode? Or just add a new admin account with a password you would know before doing this.

Is there any chance you could perform a system restore? I believe that would solve quite a few of your problems. If a system restore isn't possible then follow Sbrideau's instructions.

Also I don't understand how you can't get into safemode, if you can get into the account normally you should be able to in safemode.

Start Button -> Run -> MSconfig -> Boot (tab) -> select safemode

Also if you need to do a system restore head into the Tools (tab) and select System Restore

randomkcopyq.png

I don't have the password, my fingerprint is keyed to the laptop's fingerprint scanner, which does not show up during safe mode login.

I can't download Malwarebytes, it's one of the many sites Chrome disallows as having an Invalid Server Certificate.

I don't think a system restore is possible, no backups exist that I know of, I'll check.

... Oh. You know that advice you gave me about entering safe mode? Well, yeah, it's now stuck in safemode with networking login, meaning I can no longer access anything because it still doesn't support fingerprint scans. Anything you can suggest to help with that?

RIP Dawngate ;-;

I don't have the password, my fingerprint is keyed to the laptop's fingerprint scanner, which does not show up during safe mode login.

I can't download Malwarebytes, it's one of the many sites Chrome disallows as having an Invalid Server Certificate.

I don't think a system restore is possible, no backups exist that I know of, I'll check.

... Oh. You know that advice you gave me about entering safe mode? Well, yeah, it's now stuck in safemode with networking login, meaning I can no longer access anything because it still doesn't support fingerprint scans. Anything you can suggest to help with that?

If you have another computer you can download it onto a usb drive and install it on the infected computer. Also a reason chrome might not be working is because the date/time/year might not be correct, so see if your calendar changed at all.

To get out of safemode simply follow the same steps above and deselect safemode, it should boot normally. IMO just remove that fingerprint scan password whatever until this is resolved, it seems like a nuisance at this point.

randomkcopyq.png

If you have another computer you can download it onto a usb drive and install it on the infected computer. Also a reason chrome might not be working is because the date/time/year might not be correct, so see if your calendar changed at all.

To get out of safemode simply follow the same steps above and deselect safemode, it should boot normally. IMO just remove that fingerprint scan password whatever until this is resolved, it seems like a nuisance at this point.

He doesn't have the password so he can't do that.

I do know a way that you could get in, but I can't say it because it's not legal.

I agree with the clean install, if there are backups of the important files and and what you need, a clean install is the way to go. Assuming that you can still see the key on the sticker on your computer (usually called COA sticker), you can download the corresponding version's ISO directly from Microsoft (or their links to digital river) and use the key that's on the sticker on your computer.

This website has listed the .iso files that you can burn or make a usb stick installer for Windows 7, just pick the one that's on your sticker so that the key you have is a legal one. http://forum.noteboo...sta-before.html

Thanks for the help you guys, the problem has been resolved.

RIP Dawngate ;-;