Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lyrics

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Crocefisso
[ Display Name History ]

Crocefisso

Il Barone

• Members
  • 1,718 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
I've recently discovered a French singer by the name of Jacques Brel. More than anything else, what I love is the poetry of his lyrics, which in my mind stand head and shoulders above most. This is my favourite of his songs, with English subs.

To those that perhaps don't see why, I love Brel's lyrics here because: they follow a rhyme-scheme but there is no arbitrary rhyming; they are coherent (more than can be said for most), and there are a lot of poetic images and phrases (for example, the pearls of rain being in reality tears). In another song, Brel uses double entendre to allude constantly to prostitution (not the best to post here).

People often say to me that they realise lyrics are often a bit pants but 'don't listen to the music for the lyrics'. In these cases, I wonder why they don't just listen to music without lyrics if they're not listening to the words.

I just wondered where other people stand on lyrics, whether they make a difference to their enjoyment of a song, and whether I'm the only one who finds most lyrics utterly devoid of meaning.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,224 posts
related videos:

LOL

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude
Steam: NippleBeardTM
Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• Monster Hunting Team Leader
  • 7,789 posts
I've always like Oceansize's lyrics. They're poetic and elegant, and they fit so well with the mood of the song.

Examples:

Lyrics

Lyrics

Omar
[ Display Name History ]

Omar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,722 posts
Jacques Brel was great, used to listen to him in the car with my dad on the way to/from school.
Aaron Weiss from mewithoutYou is probably my favourite singer/lyricist, half because of his performance and half because of the lyrics themselves.

Hervé Salters, aka General Elektriks, is clever too.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can
Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?
Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?
Camera guy: still laughing
Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy
Camera guy: runs away still laughing
Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down
Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!
Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,224 posts
alright alright, I'll post a serious one. La Dispute is in my strong opinion a brilliantly poetic band. Everything I've ever aspired to be as a modern poet can be found in the fundamentals of La Dispute's Wildlife. I'll just link one song, and if you dig it check out the rest. It's truly heart wrenching stuff. Few albums will ever make you feel the same.

Safer in the Forest/Love Song for Poor Michigan

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude
Steam: NippleBeardTM
Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users