Prayer flick/Prayer bonus question

Powerfrog

Hey... While prayer potions are so relatively expensive I've been doing a lot of praying flicking.

I'm curious exactly how it works and if prayer is counted to decimal points or not.

Protect from melee drains 1 point every 5 ticks with 0 pray bonus. But if i flick it every 4 ticks perfectly I notice it does slowly fall, and this is with perfect flicking 4 ticks or less every time. (This is with high prayer bonus too which should make it like 8 ticks)

What's happening? Does Prayer Bonus have any purpose at all?

For the record I notice no drain at all when I flick every 1-3 ticks as usual, just curious about the 4 ticks oddity.

CNqWHdA.jpg

I'm getting no prayer loss whenever I flick, no matter how often. You're really keeping your prayer on only for a single tick and nothing more?

And yeah, prayer is still tracked to decimals.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I'm getting no prayer loss whenever I flick, no matter how often. You're really keeping your prayer on only for a single tick and nothing more?

And yeah, prayer is still tracked to decimals.

Sorry i worded it poorly. I mean i am flicking the prayer so it lasts a full 4 ticks. Ignore that though I haven't been paying close enough attention to say anything absolute and it might be draining from only 3 ticks...

I do often leave prayer on for 2 ticks and notice no drain for hours though. Are you sure 1 is the maximum allowed before it starts counting?

From your explanation of the decimal points i get the feel that prayer bonus would slow the depreciation of prayer drain when you accidentally flick a little too long, so is worth having. Good to know.

CNqWHdA.jpg

Yeah, prayer bonus saves you on losing too much if you leave the prayers on for too long.

The first tick of prayer is always free, and if it continues to be active it starts draining prayer points. You can lose points eventually after doing 2 tick flicks long enough.

You can verify this in EOC where prayer drain is much more visible.

6Ij0n.jpg

No, you can flick as long as you want, without losing a single prayer point. If your prayer drain's then your not doing it properly.

iKhvZOZ.png4F4hQZ4.png

Huh. Thanks Andrew.

So i understand only the first tick of prayer is free, everything after this costs prayer as expected and it's done to decimal points so you may have 43/43 prayer for a while but it's actually 42.9... 42.8... with every tick. Prayer bonus naturally slows how much prayer is used.

You can pray flick forever if you only leave it on for 1 tick and give it at least 1 tick of cool down each time.

(Isn't this technically a bug/abusing the game mechanics?)

CNqWHdA.jpg

Yes you basically click the prayer and then deactivate it right before you actually get attacked. The prayer activates at the same time your opponent attacks and deactivates the tick after, costing nothing.

If you keep the pray up any longer than one tick it'll start draining by the decimal. Pray flicking also loses its effect if you have any other prayers activated I think

77yLQy8.png

You can pray flick multiple prayers if you're fast enough, as well as "juggle" consecutive prayers.

For instance if you hit both Incredible Reflexes and Ultimate Strength on the same tick, then deactivated them the tick after, you'd get a 15% attack and strength bonus on your attacking tick, costing you no prayer points.

Simiarly, if you're expecting to make a hit straight after you take one (i.e. enemy splat on you on tick 1, then your experience tick for combat on tick 2, then your damage splat on tick 3), you can juggle between two prayers to benefit from both of them consecutively. Activate Protect Melee on tick 0, then deactivate it and activate Piety at the same time on tick 1, and then deactivate Piety on tick 2. You'll gain both the benefits of Protect Melee on your defend tick as well as the combat bonuses of Piety for your attack tick without it costing you any prayer points. You can't juggle like this in EOC, though.

It does require a lot more input/timing, which I suppose is why it's not classified as a bug.

6Ij0n.jpg

(Isn't this technically a bug/abusing the game mechanics?)

I'm sure some more savy people would be able to find you a link to this, but previously it has been stated that it requires a certain amount of skill and it is NOT abusing a bug.

It does keep you awake during those long slayer trips so I can see why it would be encouraged rather than discouraged, but I have doubts it was purposefully put into the game to act in the way that it does :P

@Sara, yeah when you get the timing right it's quite satisfying to flick both protect and an offensive boost. Woox has a video where he does it on jad, with no items, with 1 prayer... Woox is crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg9aCN97ZV8

CNqWHdA.jpg