Ad Problems

Miner_Guy

Hey, just gone on my Dad's laptop, he doesnt really know how to use a PC and has installed some programs by accident. I have uninstalled most of them but there is this one (or maybe two) which cause adverts to come up on every site which arent from the site themselves and another one which sometimes cause a ne window to come up saying I need to install flash player. I am pretty sure they come from a program. Like on Youtube, random ads will come up on the sides everytime I watch a video. I have gone into control panel, into uninstall and remove programs and I am pretty sure the program isnt there and I dont think its in add ons either for firefox. Anyone know how I can remove it?

Cheers

SUPER.gif

The picture shows 1. The pop up window with an advert, sometimes it says I need to install flash and 2. The adverts on the side of Youtube but arent actually from Youtube (this happens on most websites not just Youtube, just giving an example). Also sometimes if there is writing, it will underline it and if I hover on it, it will show a market advert.

SUPER.gif

Does downloading adblock at least get rid of the popups?

You may also want to double check your addons - perhaps he accidentelly installed a malevolent addon, which would at least explain why your virus scanner isn't picking it up, and it's clear firefox is doing something odd here. If that doesn't solve it, try reinstalling Firefox.

The same problem happens for both Chrome and Internet Explorer, so it isnt just something to do with firefox.

Would running a full scan instead of a short scan help?

EDIT: Just downloaded Ad blocker and it seems to have blocked the adverts, the space for them still appears and the writing 'ads not by this site' but they dont actually appear. Great thanks but it would be great if I could get the thing completely off my PC as well.

Cheers

SUPER.gif

A full scan with Malwarebytes would be a good idea. Also, uninstalling McAfee and installing either Avast or MSE (free antiviruses) will also provide better protection against these Adware/Spyware.

Full scan hasnt removed it.

It might fix it if I went into the security settings and checked what privileges it has, but I cant remember how to do that.

Any other suggestions?

Boot up in safe mode and run the scan. Privileges wise you just need to right click run as administrator (assuming>vista). Run HijackThis and paste logs here/other technical support forums.

• 1 month later...

Being a computer tech I know how hard it can be to get rid of some of these. Below I shall link you a few of the tools we use at work. Try them.

ADWcleaner - simply run the program and press 'Delete'. No need for scanning because it does it while Deleting. (The computer will restart)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

You've already ran MBAM, so I wont link that.

But, SuperAntiSpyware is a must!

http://www.superantispyware.com/downloadfile.html?productid=SUPERANTISPYWAREFREE

Run a full scan, delete what is needed, restart. :)

After you run all of those, its recommended to run RougeKiller.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/roguekiller/

(If you have questions regarding this software please ask, first time use can be confusing)

Alright, now that we have all of the scans out of the way. Time to run some RootKit scans :)

TDSSkiller -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tdsskiller/

Norton Power Eraser -

http://security.symantec.com/nbrt/npe.aspx

RUN ALL OF THESE! Most of these need to have the computer restart. So, if you've never used them I would say just run one at a time.

Also, mods of the forum, if the hotlinking is not aloud please edit this to your liking. Thank you. :)

Good luck to you, and ask questions if you have any!

I think that'st too many tools to have installed on a single computer. I've tried SupwerAntispyware, and it's the same thing as MBAM but not as good.

I was also waiting for the highjackthis log, but seems like the problem might be resolved since OP never came back.

I think that'st too many tools to have installed on a single computer. I've tried SupwerAntispyware, and it's the same thing as MBAM but not as good.

I was also waiting for the highjackthis log, but seems like the problem might be resolved since OP never came back.

ADWcleaner, RougeKiller, TDSSkiller and NPE are all runtime software programs, dont need to install them. SAS is like MBAM, this is true. But you have to remember that software scans differently. One my find the issue while the other one doesn't. Plus, you can always uninstall a program. lol

I have to agree that the problem is probably resolved. Moving on :D