Firefox Problems

Miner_Guy

Hey, my firefox is running so slow these days and I want to know how to make it speed up and go back to normal. I have been using it on this PC for 2 years. Everytime I open it up it always stops responding for 30 secs whenever I open up the first web page and is just generally slow. I dont run any add ons and I dont have any viruses etc Any ideas how to speed it up? I am thinking of reinstalling it but keeping my cookies and passwords as I dont want to lose them but would that make a difference? Or any other ideas?

Thanks

SUPER.gif

Clear the cache of your browser.

As an extra note, do that without wiping your download/browsing history. Also, don't lose your bookmarks. ;)

BTW, Miner_Guy, there are a few extra tweaks that might help speed it back up a little, but it would help to know your system specs. :)

Side Note: Currently running 45 extensions here, no continuous slowness during browsing. In fact, my browser extension loadout might be called a near-impossibility. :D

~D. V. "The Crazy Firefox User" Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Clear the cache of your browser.

As an extra note, do that without wiping your download/browsing history. Also, don't lose your bookmarks. ;)

BTW, Miner_Guy, there are a few extra tweaks that might help speed it back up a little, but it would help to know your system specs. :)

Side Note: Currently running 45 extensions here, no continuous slowness during browsing. In fact, my browser extension loadout might be called a near-impossibility. :D

~D. V. "The Crazy Firefox User" Devnull

I cleared the cache (it had 350mb of data in it before) and it is running faster however it still persists with not responding when I open my first page although it fixes itself in 5 seconds (much quicker than before) but its still annoying and shouldnt be doing that.

It might just be something to do with my version, a reinstall might fix it? Or what else do you guys think?

SUPER.gif

<<<snip>>>

I cleared the cache (it had 350mb of data in it before) and it is running faster however it still persists with not responding when I open my first page although it fixes itself in 5 seconds (much quicker than before) but its still annoying and shouldnt be doing that.

It might just be something to do with my version, a reinstall might fix it? Or what else do you guys think?

Don't worry about reinstalling, as it's literally not necessary... I'm on a 2.4 GHz single-core Intel Pentium 4, and 5 seconds is what I get from double-clicking the desktop icon to having my first browser page loaded, and the browser usable and ready. (Well, give-or-take accessing my bookmarks, but I've got a large repository of those and a 6-month-long browsing history, but those take mere seconds to get into as well. Heck, those finished loading-in-background while I was on my way back over here from a fresh browser restart.) ;)

On other notes, you might want to head to "Tools > Options > Advanced > Network" and enable(check) "Override automatic cache management", as well as limit your disk cache to "~150 MB"... It's quite likely Firefox is trying to do too much with the cache, and is lagging itself in trying to respond to you. :geek:

Again, I've actually got a number of other tweaks (Like, advanced ones for which no User Interface exists.) in-place on this old system to speed things up, but I don't want to try any of them without having more information about your system configuration. Heck, you might have an issue with JavaScript background garbage collection that I can barely stopgap, and I've tried 'bloody hard' to nail that one. I'm still lost in thought over it every so often. :-k

~D. V. "I almost feel like Mozilla is trying to force users of old computers to buy new ones..." Devnull

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Firefox seems to still persist with not responding though when I open a new window? I cant think of any other reason for it then it might be a bug or faulty version? I am going to try reinstalling it to see if it helps.

Another thing I downloaded an annoying add on called Top Arcade Hits, i have successful removed most of it by looking it up online. But people say there are still registrys for it which you need to remove. What is a registry? And how do I remove them for Top Arcade Hits?

SUPER.gif

Firefox seems to still persist with not responding though when I open a new window? I cant think of any other reason for it then it might be a bug or faulty version? I am going to try reinstalling it to see if it helps.

Good luck on reinstalling, then. Just make sure to keep your profile while reinstalling, or you'll lose your bookmarks and anything else you wanted to keep. :geek:

Another thing I downloaded an annoying add on called Top Arcade Hits, i have successful removed most of it by looking it up online. But people say there are still registrys for it which you need to remove. What is a registry? And how do I remove them for Top Arcade Hits?

I'm not sure how to handle this part, as I've never heard of something with that name, and especially not as an add-on. I hope someone else shows up to lend a hand with that. :?

~D. V. "Firefox issues are one thing, but that add-on is something totally else..." Devnull

• 1 month later...

Hi, @Miner_Guy... I noticed this thread appears unresolved. Were you able to repair your issues? :huh:

Also, I found out that having FireFox's Hardware Acceleration enabled slows down startup considerably, and then got reminded of it by Vishal Gupta @ http://www.askvg.com/. Check out this page by Vishal Gupta @ http://www.askvg.com/tip-reduce-mozilla-firefox-loading-time-by-disabling-hardware-acceleration-feature/ for more information. I'm actually running with it still turned off, simply due to the increased load it puts on this computer. :geek:

~D. V. "Checking in, extra tip in hand..." Devnull

(p.s.: Making this a separate post because of total time passed... This will probably be the last time I can check - and post - without ticking a Moderator off.)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, @Miner_Guy... I noticed this thread appears unresolved. Were you able to repair your issues? :huh:

Also, I found out that having FireFox's Hardware Acceleration enabled slows down startup considerably, and then got reminded of it by Vishal Gupta @ http://www.askvg.com/. Check out this page by Vishal Gupta @ http://www.askvg.com/tip-reduce-mozilla-firefox-loading-time-by-disabling-hardware-acceleration-feature/ for more information. I'm actually running with it still turned off, simply due to the increased load it puts on this computer. :geek:

~D. V. "Checking in, extra tip in hand..." Devnull

(p.s.: Making this a separate post because of total time passed... This will probably be the last time I can check - and post - without ticking a Moderator off.)

Sorry forgot to post back, firefox is definitely running better thanks, still sometimes stops responding but less than before. Because of that I havent yet been bothered to uninstall.

I dont think you can do that hardware acceleration thing on the new firefox, I couldnt find it. Also I am guessing it would have side effects?

SUPER.gif

<<<snip>>>

Sorry forgot to post back, firefox is definitely running better thanks, still sometimes stops responding but less than before. Because of that I havent yet been bothered to uninstall.

Hi there, glad to hear things aren't as bad as before. As I mentioned before, uninstall/reinstall should never be necessary. :)

I dont think you can do that hardware acceleration thing on the new firefox, I couldnt find it.

Did you follow the tutorial article that AskVG linked to in the other article @ http://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable-hardware-acceleration-gpu-rendering-in-mozilla-firefox-4-0-to-fix-font-problem/ ??? :huh:

Also I am guessing it would have side effects?

Not many, actually, except for slightly slowing the rendering of WebGL-enabled items. Also, it puts the rendering work back entirely on the CPU, but if your browser can't talk to your GPU fast enough, then shifting the work back won't have a truly noticeable difference. On other notes, it may have the effect of helping you with font rendering at the same time. Obviously, flip the setting back on after you try turning it off if you have any super-severe issues like web content that completely breaks. I would not want you to be unable to do things that you wish to do! ;)

~D. V. "Answering a few notes..." Devnull