Favourite Linux Distro

Jdelrx

Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded my PC and in the process installed Windows 8. After playing around with it for a short while, trying to figure out how to explore without the start menu, attempting to familiarise myself with the "tiles" interface, and trying to play a DVD, I quickly became less and less enthusiastic about Microsoft's new OS.

I figured this would be a good time to try something new, and move on to a Linux OS (or at the very least have the option of dual-boot). I've been looking around and noticed a lot of good looking Linux distributions, and was wondering if anyone has a favourite? I'm not much of a programmer, I'll just being using it for day to day use and possibly gaming, depending on whether or not the game is supported on Linux, but that's when the dual-boot will come in handy!

So far Mageia 3, Linux Mint 15, or openSuSE look to be the most stable and user friendly for a new Linux user.

Please share!

jdelrx.png

Then you didn't try Win 8 enough. Also if you don't have a touch screen, there's no use trying to familiarize yourself with the tiles as they are useless anyway, I have Win 8 on my laptop and never use that interface except to seach for a program or something (just hit the win key and start typing the program). Win + X is similar to the old start menu.

As for my favorite distro, right now it is Mint, but it always changes as time goes on.

I rarely use linux for desktop use and know hardly anything about distributions, but for a beginner I think it has to be Ubuntu. I personally use Arch which I have on my raspberrypi and on a virtual machine.

I rarely use linux for desktop use and know hardly anything about distributions, but for a beginner I think it has to be Ubuntu. I personally use Arch which I have on my raspberrypi and on a virtual machine.

I think Ubuntu is too unstable and not enough hardware friendly for new users. Mint or Mageia are more suited for them.