Hey All! (Again+YAY 2007 Scape!)

It's been at least a year and a half since I've really played any RuneScape. I think a year before that I wrote one of these "I'm back" posts but never really became active. There are plenty of reasons why, but that's in the past! Hope you're all doing well! What really brought me back was discovering that OSRS (or 2007Scape) is up and (apparently) happily bubbling away...

Definitely won't start to bash the EoC - I think in its own ways it can be enjoyable, and I won't toss in the can the many hours of training done by never playing it...I plan to at some point.

Unhide the rest for a soapbox about 2007Scape <3:

Noticed that there's been posts like "2007Scape WILL DIE!" around the web and was glad to see that not many took such claims seriously. I'd like to point out a few reasons why I think it will sustain and potentially (maybe?) grow into a nice, full-fledged game of its own right, or at least a lasting edifice in the Rune legacy.

1. Simplicity. There is a whole lot to be said of simplicity! A lot of 'vets' and many others who don't identify as such appreciate the depth some nice simplicity can create. Most notably it allows for a lot of imagination or creativity to settle around the simpler mechanics of playing and planning your playing. There is a lot less disruptive 'in your face' content seemingly inherent to the most current version of the game (ie. SoF) most of which seems to utterly undermine the manner in which you individually enjoy the game. That sort of stuff (which turned me off of what has become known as RS3) kind of broke the spell of imagination and near-roleplaying that I enjoyed so much before the chaos (and chaotics) reigned. Not to call down Dungeoneering (I love my rapier like no other).

I feel that the simplicity of older versions of RS allows or forces, depending on how you look at it, the player to come up with creative ways to play through and conquer game content and situations. This probabaly exists in some form in the current meta-game but I find that it is sort of 'entropic' - the mental mapping of playing or planning your play which I really enjoy kind of collapses under its own weight. There is a fine line between having to think a little to gear toward better outcomes, and having so many distractions and odd ends that you just don't care anymore. There is probabaly more that could be said about this. (tl;dr: Hitting the sweet spot in your golf swing, I guess...)

2. Community. Many who are interested in playing 2007Scape miss feelings usually blanketed as 'nostalgia' 'community' 'discovery' as examples. People I've run into in the game so far seem to be very well aware of a mutual attitude of wanting to bring life into or represent values that belonged to the community of the game at the time. Now, this can be partly 'subjective,' as loath as I am to use that term. However, in this case it is safe to generalize a bit and say most if not all of us remember the mentality or emotional dynamics of our play at the time, regardless of our age, play time, life interests, etc. IT WAS GOOD. Clearly, or we wouldn't have 2007Scape now. If we expect it to fully emulate that time we will be sadly disappointed. But it can resemble it and, I think, maybe grow into something even better, if we are careful and very selective about what we as a community allow into this re-creation.

To illustrate that a bit more I'd like to copy and paste a post I saw on RSOF, which almost a week later still has me chuckling.

San - 19-Feb-2013 23:34:24 Last edited on 19-Nov-2013 16:00:55 by Mod Reach

While Jagex will be providing us with a perfect reconstruction of the content as it was in 2007, it is up to us players, the community, to ensure an accurate representation of the game. In this thread I will detail various Dos and Don’ts of how to behave, communicate and interact with your fellow players in this remake, and thus bring to life the long dead specimen that is the 2007 community.

1) “Noob” is to be restored to its position as the highest insult available.

2) The threat of being reported is the utmost threat one can make.

3) Castlewars must be packed in all worlds, with everyone at all times spamming “@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@” or variants thereof.

4) Should one notice a player that has transformed into a bunny, imp or sheep in Castlewars, you must follow and enquire as to how to become a bunny/imp/sheep. The bunny/imp/sheep is entitled to relish their position as “the balls” and may make humourous quips as they please.

5) Catherby fishing spots are to be a forum for only the finest banter one can produce, be this singing, discussing the current Champion’s League game or any recent topical news story.

6) Should one wish to bot (shame on you!), one must subscribe to the required Botter’s look: bald with a goatee, and green shirt/ trousers.

7) Should one wish to scam (shame on you!), there are a number of scams available: popular scams involve removing an item before clicking accept, free gem cutting and free armour trimming.

8) New players are fully entitled to follow around anyone of a higher level around and demand “Free stuff plz” or variants thereof.

9) Whichever server is elected to be the trading server must be full at all times, and falador gardens must be packed to the point that the FPS makes the game resemble a slide show.

10) All high levels are to be referred to as a “PC prod”.

11) The fornication-deprived amongst us may advertise their desire for a mate through means such as “Looking for gf” or “Press 123 to be my gf”.

12) The females/gender-confused males amongst our community may utilise the above advertisements as a means to acquire free stuff.

13) The price of unids (unidentified herbs, what later became grimy herbs) is 1k each and not a penny less.

14) Those who wear chainmail may be openly mocked (see rule #1) and/or stoned as they are inferior in every way to the plate armour wearers.

15) The Fremennik Trials quest requires a raw shark for completion. Nobody may happen to have one lying around their bank, and must therefore be seen standing in Catherby bank requesting to buy one for a minimum of 5k.

16) Each bank must have a minimum of one player advertising a bank sale.

17) If one grows tired of reciting the same trade offer over and over, one may add new life to their offer using devices such as “glow”, “wave” and “flash”.

18) If one sees another player advertising as above, they may ask how they did it, many times.

19) If one should happen to fail in the production of a trade advert as per rule #17, they may be openly mocked and/or stoned.

20) Every world must have at least one player teleporting to Camelot, over and over again.

21) Should one be attempting to sell an item, it is NOT acceptable to set the price as “offer”.

22) If one is attempting to buy a dragon chain (RRP 30m) or similarly expensive item, one must expect to be inundated with trade offers asking to see the cash stack.

23) In an argument one is fully entitled to brag about their level 150 main. That, or one may claim to be Zezima.

24) One may earn a respectable profit by stealing from the silk stall in Ardougne, however one must be wary to wait the appropriate length of time before one sells it back to the stall owner.This may be accompanied with a quip regarding the stall owner’s stupidity.

25) Upon entry to any guild – notably the cook’s guild – one may deservedly regard oneself as “the balls”.

26) Those who have completed Troll Stronghold, and thus possess a law talisman, may rightly look down at the peasantry as they enjoy their priority law running from inside the altar.

27) While in the Brimhaven Agility Arena, one must yell 'Matrix!' when successfully passing the darts.

28) Should one find a player that does not know how to get to a particular location, one may offer one’s services as a taxi.

29) One may wear a full set of H.A.M robes and flaunt one’s fabulousness.

30) One must fear the level 6 mugger outside Aubury's rune shop.

31) One may successfully provoke irritation by repeatedly opening and closing a door.

32) One may get a job picking bananas on Karamja, and on receipt of 30gp, regard oneself as rich.

33) One may regard oneself as “the balls” on completion of dragon slayer and may subsequently flaunt one’s rune platebody.

34) One shall openly mock those male characters that wear a plateskirt instead of platelegs.

35) Any and all persons fishing at Karamja for lobsters must ask where the bank is.

36) On sight of “Dem be my fishies” one must run, as fast as one can, and never look back.

37) Should one see a player mod talk, one must enquire how he got to have a silver crown by their name.

38) Should one see a jagex mod, one must convey one’s amazement by spamming any letters that come to hand.

39) Should one journey into the dwarf mine, one may consider oneself “the balls” if one is of a high enough combat level that the scorpions are not aggressive.

40) One may be rightly confused when one receives goblin mail as a drop only to discover it is not real armour.

41) Should one require a law rune for teleportation, one may advertise this at a minimum price of 1k.

42) One must attempt to telegrab the ruby ring underneath Varrock West bank.

43) One may laugh at those that fight the blue dragon under the Hero’s guild; they do not have sufficient gonads to venture into Taverly dungeon.

44) A couple may display their mutual affection by following each other and spinning in circles.

45) All achievements are to be celebrated with an exclamation of “w00t” from all those present.

46) Should one have completed Gertrude’s cat, one may have a kitten follow and regard oneself as “the balls”.

47) On sight of a player frantically attempting to purchase an antipoison, one shall refuse such pleas and then plunder the loot upon their death

48) One may wear member’s items, go to a f2p world and regard oneself as 'the balls'.

49) Should one stand in the same square as a cannon, one must remark 'I'm a cannon, boom!'.

50) One may gain entry to Al Kharid via the northern entrance and feel like “the balls” for having evaded the 10gp toll charge.

51) One is encouraged to place wool and a red bead on the table by the Catherby range and deceive the populace into believing it is a santa hat.

52) Should another player attack one’s rock crab, one may denounce the player a scoundrel and threaten as one sees fit. See rules #1, #2 and #23.

53) Any and all kills in the wilderness must be accompanied by a cacophony of “k0” from those spectating.

54) One shall gaze in awe at the dragon battleaxe’s special attack.

55) All players with a skillcape are expected to perform the emote upon request.

56) One may dance in return for GP.

57) One must reserve run energy before entering Varrock from the South such that one evades the attacks of the dark wizards.

58) When fishing on the northern Karamja docks, one may request a fire at a minimum price of 1k.

59) One shall observe players continually traversing the log balance at the Gnome Agility course and laugh at their stupidity.

60) The team 46 cape is to be the most popular apparel. However, nobody may know why this is the case.

61) “Please” is to be immediately removed from the vocabulary of players. In its place one may instead say “plz” or “pl0x”.

62) If one spots a person sporting an item one desires, one may follow said person and ask “Buy your ____”. If said person is not willing to vend this item, the acceptable response is “nfs”.

63) One shall wear one’s fancy/ fighter boots with pride for these are a true sign one is “the balls”.

64) One shall wallow in despair at one’s burning of one’s first shrimp on tutorial island.

65) Should one be of an efficiency mindset, one may train up combat level 5 on tutorial island and regard oneself as 'the balls'.

66) One may assume the title of 'the balls' on completion of Merlin's Crystal and the subsequent first usage of Excalibur's special attack.

67) One shall attain a chuckle by performing the headbang emote next to a wall.

68) It is customary when another player gains a level to acknowledge this achievement with 'gratz'.

69) One shall be rightly confused as to why the level 5 goblin does not drop its spear.

70) On accomplishment of 37 prayer, one shall turn on protect from magic and strut one’s stuff around the land for this is the true mark of “the balls”.

71) If one wishes to watch duels, they are required to have 55 magic, and must form a line above the duels while alching.

72) One shall experiment briefly with the rune thrown-axe and javelin, before pondering the purpose of their existence in the game.

73) If a player should proclaim to be taking a video, all persons present must exclaim “Hi youtube!”

74) Numbers in names is henceforth acceptable again.

75) All videos taken of RS07 shall be taken with unregistered hypercam 2 in low quality. Any editing must be done in Windows Movie Maker.

I'm running out of space, sorry everyone! If enough rules can be thought up I may start an additional list in a later post.

Feel free to add me on 07scape!

(OP by San)

3. Balance. We can learn from history. As we can do in the 'real world.' Our collective memories are very important to making this a worthwhile thing. As we work with Jagex in the (hopefully agonizingly slow) development of this new/old RuneScape, we have to remember what sort of things, or more specifically, what sort of mentalities started to take away from what we loved most. And what we loved most can be many things, as long as they continue to mutually compliment each other, as I think many of the enjoyments of 2007Scape did. When you unbalance the game, you start to ruin the mutually fitting features the game had or has. It is important to not give in to instant gratification. With this in mind, we should work together and have a lot of dialogue between ourselves and with Jagex about the manner in which we (again, carefully) update and modify this new extention of RuneScape.

31/2. The Future. Thinking on all of that, I think it is possible to continue to update this game and make it more robust (when we start running out of things to do) while still retaining the balanced communal simplicity that makes it so fun in the first place. It would be cool to see it develop its own standing in the RuneScape world and to (lol, slowly) over time evolve into something lasting that the older community stays happy with. We (The Community and Jagex) have to be as meticulous as possible about what we let in...I for one think polled content ought to have 85-90% approval before being given a green light. Glad to be a 'noob' again!

Feel free to add me up!

Jubei_Reborn.png

The Fox Returns!

Welcome back to the Tip.It (aka: Rune Tips) Community, @Frozen.  Please enjoy your stay, watch out for the lunatics, and come play in the Forum Games!  Yes, of course, don't forget to check the rest of things out... LOL! :lol:

~D. V. "My siggy's out-of-date..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)