Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

'Cooldown' length

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Veiva
[ Display Name History ]

Veiva

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,341 posts
Hey, yet another question. How is cooldown length calculated in the tick-based combat system? I'm trying to develop a simple combat simulator to develop the most effective ability rotations in certain scenarios, but I'm not sure how long a '10 second' (for example) cooldown really is. Is it 16 or 17 ticks? Many abilities align their cooldown on multiples of ticks, but things like Snipe, Firebreath, Needle Strike... don't, so I'm not sure if they round up or down.

ozXHe7P.png

Saradomin_Mage
[ Display Name History ]

Saradomin_Mage

The Two and Only

• Members
  • 7,273 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
Knowing Jagex, some of them round down and some round up. Might be best to just count yourself.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• Monster Hunting Team Leader
  • 7,789 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

Knowing Jagex, some of them round down and some round up. Might be best to just count yourself.

Yeah, that sort of thing is up to the developer. Another option is that sometimes it's 17 ticks and sometimes it's 16, so that they average out to 10 seconds. Fun.

Veiva
[ Display Name History ]

Veiva

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,341 posts
Thanks. In my calculator, I adjusted it for the worst-case scenario which is rounding up (e.g., 5 seconds is 9 ticks, or 5.4 seconds). Doesn't affect the result too much, but it's better safe than sorry I think.

ozXHe7P.png

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• Monster Hunting Team Leader
  • 7,789 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

Threw my ability data (most of it was gathered by Brunokiller) into this paste:

http://jsbin.com/yot...e/1/edit?output

It says that it rounds up to 17 ticks, but I'm not sure how rigorously that was tested

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users