Ancient magicks without Ancient Staff

Neohero1972

Hi

Is it possible to cast a spell from the Ancient Magicks spellbook without using the Ancient Staff ?

I'm asking this because if I un-equip my Ancient Staff then all the spells in my Ancient Magicks spellbook becomes sorta grey-ish and i'm unable to cast them eventhough I have the proper runes to do so.

however, i'm still able to cast the teleport spells !

Is this normal or have I encountered some sort of a bug ?

Yes, it is possible, but you need a combat staff (or magic weapon) to do any of the combat spells. So a staff of light, staff of armadyl, noxious staff, etc. will work. This was a change they implemented at some point in EoC. The exception is that you can do teleport spells without necessarily wielding a staff, as you saw when you unequipped it.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

What if they switch their combat mode to Legacy? :huh:

~D. V. "Had to ask..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

What if they switch their combat mode to Legacy? :huh:

~D. V. "Had to ask..." Devnull

No. You'll just default to attacking with melee.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Yes, it is possible, but you need a combat staff (or magic weapon) to do any of the combat spells. So a staff of light, staff of armadyl, noxious staff, etc. will work. This was a change they implemented at some point in EoC. The exception is that you can do teleport spells without necessarily wielding a staff, as you saw when you unequipped it.

Hi

Thank you for explaining, I wasn't aware of this as I prefer to use melee in combat and I NEVER use Ancient Magicks !

I'm currently doing the Do No Evil quest and the video guide I was watching to do the quest, I could see the guy ( the narrator) were using Ancient Magicks ice spells to prevent the choc ice for king Awoogi from melting away, but the guy (the narrator) didn't seem to have any staff equipped !

Please have a look: https://youtu.be/4T1ESa7-980?t=17m30s (in full screen HD resolution it is very clear to see that he hasn't weapon equipped)

This update must have been very recent as the video is from 24. of June 2015

Anyway, I'm glad that you took your time to explaining it to me :)

I had a look at the video. You are referring to keeping the chimp ice frozen, right? Although I haven't done that quest, it seems that would be an exception to the rule. He's freezing an item as part of a quest rather than using it in combat, so the mechanics are a bit different. The update requiring you to have a magic weapon for regular combat has been around quite a while though.

I can't seem to trace down the exact date, but from what I remember it was a year or two ago. Hopefully that helps :).

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

Worth noting in that video the spells are still greyed out - ie cannot be cast via the magic book or used in combat.

The way he is casting them is using the left-click 'Freeze' option on chimp ice which is a unique, non-combat function.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue