Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Power Cutting

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

jammy316
[ Display Name History ]

jammy316

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,245 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
Well my PC will run absolute fine, with MSN, IRC, WMP, Xfire, etc etc open. But my PC will just cut out if I open up any game, even when all other programs are shut.

(Games are stuff from Call of duty, Call of duty 2, CS:Source, DoD:Source, BFMEII Demo, etc etc.)

(HL Mods/Games work fine it seems.)

What happens is, it has no power sign on, but the fan is still going(Can hear and feel). Everything basically cuts out except for the Fan. Only way to turn it off when it does it is removing the power cable at the back.

I'm guessing its my PSU? Or a faulty cable. Its starting happening today when furniture in my room was being taken out/in so something could of been knocked?

Seeing if anyone has had the same experience to see what it could be?

Nadril
[ Display Name History ]

Nadril

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 23,966 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
Maybe it's a video card error?

Something may have been knocked, but sounds like an odd problem to me.

jammy316
[ Display Name History ]

jammy316

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,245 posts
[bleep] who last fixed my PC (under warranty) left the case very loose, looked in, dust all over my 'ONE' fan which happens to be my Processer Fan, and the Video Card could give you a sun-tan, gonna clean this mess out and then see how it runs tomorrow.

_k0m0d0_
[ Display Name History ]

_k0m0d0_

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,865 posts
Maybe somthing is loose, besides the case... Open it and check the processor, video card, and all fans, if necessary, add some extra fans!

~komodo
Posted Image

jammy316
[ Display Name History ]

jammy316

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,245 posts

Maybe somthing is loose, besides the case... Open it and check the processor, video card, and all fans, if necessary, add some extra fans!

~komodo

Not my PC really and under warranty.

Opened it up last night, cleaned out the dust from the fan and case (so air could circulate properly).

Working fine atm :).

Suzanne_Vega
[ Display Name History ]

Suzanne_Vega

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,182 posts
Heat problems are the number 1 cause of this type of lockup.

If cleaning out your PC fixed it, I suggest investing in a can or two of compressed air and keeping your fans regularly maintained, including the video fan, CPU fan, power supply fan(s) and, if present, chipset fan.

There is also a feature on most modern motherboards to tell your CPU at what temperature to "stop", you can choose a slightly higher temperature from the options. I do not recommend disabling this, however, as you can fry your CPU that way.

Edit: Your power supply might also be inadequate for whatever video card you have when it goes into full-throttle 3D, how many watts is it? and what kind of video card do you have?

starting happening today when furniture in my room was being taken out/in so something could of been knocked?

Missed that part. Turn your computer off, disconnect al the power and HD cables and remove your memory, clean them gently and reinsert everything.
Suzanne Vega
Posted Image
tokin rite wurx gud!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users