laptop motherboard dying

2pac

Hey, ive been having a few issues with laptop in the last day or two

Alot of the time it just wont turn on(it'll run for 5 secs and then shut off), other times it will work just fine, but it will freeze and/or shut off in the middle of something.

I'm pretty sure the motherboard is dying because the exact same thing happened to my desktop, and about a week later the motherboard was fried.

Any helpful tips are appreciated.

I have a Dell Inspiron 4100, about 3 or 4 years old.

LiTeX aka 2pac

go cowboys

Yeah... Get a new motherboard for a laptop... (sarcasm)

All you can do is contact the manufacturer for repairs, those sorts of things can't be done at home really.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

Could be an overheating issue.

Take the case apart and make sure that it's not filled with dust or fluff that could be impeding the airflow around the circuitry. Also check that the fan is actually working, it may be gummed up with dust or crumbs also.

Laptops are prone to airflow issues because of the tight spaces. Grab a can of compressed air, you should be able to find one with a little hose on the end so you can direct the blast. Use that to clear out any foreign matter accumulated inside your machine.

siganizq4.gif

ty for the tips, i'll try em out

it seems to be even worse now...haven't gotten it to turn on all day.

Anyway, the good news is that it is school-issue so they will do the repairs free of charge...might even give me a new laptop *prays* Bad news is they always take forever to do that kind of stuff.

go cowboys

Another thing to try would be to place a desk fan blowing over it. My flatmate had a similar problem and this worked as a temporary solution.

Side by the laptop? a fan to refrigerate a laptop, in desktops are pretty comon to put fans, but in laptops I've never heard! :?

~komodo

komododabst3cn.png

Not a fan from a desktop machine. But an actual fan that sits on the desk - for cooling humans instead of machines.

If you use it to blow air over the machine, enough will circulate in and over the circuitry to (hopefully) keep the motherboard from overheating.

siganizq4.gif

^^^ Yeah that's what I meant, a desk fan not a desktop fan heh.

Though this solution is only palliative, it won't cure the problem. And it makes the laptop a hell of a lot less portable.

Interestingly my flatmate's laptop was the same as someone's on my course, a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo somethingorother, and this other guy's overheated too - both getting burn marks above the hard disk.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

ok now this is weird...i was opening up the fan to clear up the dust (yeah there was a bit of dust in there) and i accidentaly spilled water in it :oops: good thing i wasn't drinking coke.

The weird part...it's been working fine all day. I mean, im 99% sure it will break again and it's just a coincidence...but this is weird. :?

go cowboys

Water usually won't do any long term harm as long as it gets a chance to dry out before any electrons hit it.

I upended a very large cup of coffee all over my thinkpad a few months ago, while it was switched on. It fizzled and died. But I pulled it apart, dried off all the components under the hand drier in the bathroom, put it back together and crossed my fingers. Typing this message on the same machine right now.

siganizq4.gif