PHP Driven Sites

Earpster

Hey Everyone.

I have Created my Website and i am now trying to "update" the whole site. I am thinking of Creating the whole site into a PHP driven website. Unfortunatly, i have NO experiance in php. So i have the following questions.

1) Is Tip IT a php driven Site?.

2) Where do i start learning?

3) Is there anybody that would be intrested in being the PHP coder?

If your answer to 3 is YES then pm me. to any of the other 3 please reply here.

Thanks In advance.

Earpster

PHP is a cool language, its really best used for displaying websites based on what user is logged in, in my opinion.

I would suggest learning at one of these websites

http://www.w3schools.com/php/default.asp

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/php/

and there are loads of other places that you can learn, just a google search away!

If you have any problems, pm me, I'm fairly new to it, so i might be able to put it in 'human terms' for you, if you don't understand something.

manipofsarahs1gg5.png

The tip.it/runescape website does use php for many things. eg in the URL http://tip.it/runescape/?page=treasure_trails.htm the bit after the ? basically means "load the standard site tempate and then put the treasure_trails.htm file inside the middle of it." Other things which use php include the treasure trails locator. Also these forums are run with phpbb, which uses php.

So basically, yeah, php is wonderful stuff.

PHP is a cool language, its really best used for displaying websites based on what user is logged in, in my opinion.
Thats hardly the only use... The main site doesnt have one single login, and still it was without a doubt esiest to do with php ;) PHP is the best language to use when you wish to create dynamic websites, no doubt about that...

PHP is the best language to use when you wish to create dynamic websites, no doubt about that...

*quietly inserts the words "on a UNIX server" after "dynamic websites"

8)

I like to fart silently but deadly in movie theaters
Ard Choille says (11:41 PM):

I wouldn't dare tell you what to do m'dear

Thats hardly the only use... The main site doesnt have one single login, and still it was without a doubt esiest to do with php ;) PHP is the best language to use when you wish to create dynamic websites, no doubt about that...

I said that i thought that was the best use, not the only use, my friend. :)

And i'm curious, what exactly about the website is done by php, as you can probably tell my knoweldge is restricted to login's and user dependant pages.

Is it the updating of the site that is done by php?

manipofsarahs1gg5.png

PHP is the best language to use when you wish to create dynamic websites, no doubt about that...

*quietly inserts the words "on a UNIX server" after "dynamic websites"

8)

Wait, can I add "if you don't know Ruby on Rails, Perl or Python" to that? Oh, and I vote we remove the "on a UNIX server" bit, since ASP is crap anyway :D