a new random to help encourage friendlyness?

neogeo0823

Heh, I think the point is to encourage other players to help as well.

You can also think of it as conditioning. By getting players to think that they MIGHT get a reward by helping other players, they will be more likely to do so. Eventually, this may bring back the community spirit and feeling that RSC had, correct?

thank you! thats exactly the point of this random.

and to striker: no problem. at least you apologized, right?

I couldn't care less if he was Andrew Gower himself, I just don't like arrogant smegheads.
*in the voice of the comic book guy from the simpsons* best. quote. EVER! :thumbsup:

People won't become nice all of a sudden because a random event 'learned' them to.

Often, people who want help will abuse of your kindness. You give a noob 1gp, he wants a thousand, and he will hardly say any thanks. You give him a thousand, now he 'needs' 100k, because 'you're soo rich it doesn't make any difference for you'. More, more, more...

This will teach people to look for the reward of their good actions. Rewards, that's all that people want.

2480+ total

People won't become nice all of a sudden because a random event 'learned' them to. ...This will teach people to look for the reward of their good actions. Rewards, that's all that people want.
just so im sure, you did read the whole thread, right? its not like the TRN will be a very, very common, it would probably be as common as... lets see... maybe a mime or something. it shouldnt happen to one person more than once every month or two.

its not like suddenly, everybody will be like "look! a noobs asking for help! ill help him cause he might give me 5k or something back!", it will be more like "wow, i just helped that noob and he came back on his rich main to give me 10k! cool! i never knew helping noobs felt soo good... i should do it more often!"

thats my aim.

I couldn't care less if he was Andrew Gower himself, I just don't like arrogant smegheads.
*in the voice of the comic book guy from the simpsons* best. quote. EVER! :thumbsup:

I don't think you should make it ask for free stuff, that encourages people to give free stuff to beggars, which is bad.

Instead, how about things like "Which direction is town X from here?" To which a simple, one word answe can be given.

Instead, how about things like "Which direction is town X from here?" To which a simple, one word answe can be given.

I think it should be harder than that. Maybe it should ask for the exact roads to follow. Maybe this would make people say stuff other than this:

Person1: Excuse me, which way to Varrok?

Person2: Head North

It has to be more specific than that. Maybe something like this:

Person1: Excuse me, which way to Varrok?

Person2: Follow this road North until the road splits into two. Then head west on the path until it goes North again. Keep on going North on the path until you come to tall stone walls. Enter and you're in Varrok. (These are the directions from Lummy-Varrok)

Just saying a direction is way too simple and easy.

paymentscm7.png

you guys do realize that the TRN wont just ask for items, it will ask for advice as well. like "where is this place?" "where am i?" "how much is this?" and any other really easy questions like that. it will have an equal chance of asking any question it is programed to.

and all players want to play rs; if you are busy with killing blue dragons for example; you will not just walk away and show the way to everyone who asks for it
thats the attitude that i believe is causing this community problem. its the fact that we would rather kill a monster while making fun of a new player than help them out that causes soo many problems in our community. granted you should look out for yourself, but you cant always do that. if you assume that everyone is always out to get you, out to scam you, out to cheat you, and theyre not worth your time, then you get a community full of distrustful, paranoid people. unfortunately thats what runescape is becoming.

yea lets start a speed dating service aswell.... :roll:
erm... why?

and all players want to play rs; if you are busy with killing blue dragons for example; you will not just walk away and show the way to everyone who asks for it
thats the attitude that i believe is causing this community problem. its the fact that we would rather kill a monster while making fun of a new player than help them out that causes soo many problems in our community. granted you should look out for yourself, but you cant always do that. if you assume that everyone is always out to get you, out to scam you, out to cheat you, and theyre not worth your time, then you get a community full of distrustful, paranoid people. unfortunately thats what runescape is becoming.

Yes, but I don't want to trek all the way to ardougne from port phasmatys just because some guy asked me to. If I did, I'd never get anything done.

I'd rather not be 10 Dagannoths away from finishing my Slayer assignment and have to bring some fellow to whatever faraway town it is. That's an inconvenience.