Why are the World Trade Org. talks suspended?

Bubsa

Hi guys. I got this email today, which I'd like to share with you. Hope this doesn't fall under advertisement (which makes me a bad tip.iter >.<), but if you could spare a moment of your time to read it I'd be very much obliged. :D

header53_mtf.gif

The World Trade Organisation talks about development have been suspended and millions of poor farmers around the world are the losers. Your support in the fight to Make Trade Fair is now even more important.

Why did the WTO talks stop?

Five years on since the beginning of World Trade Organisation (WTO) talks on development and despite some progress in some areas, stubborn self-interest by rich countries such as United States (US) and the European Union (EU) has meant that these vital negotiations have been suspended.

The losers in this high stakes game of rigged rules and double standards are the millions of poor farmers, small scale producers and workers in developing countries who, if the rules were fairer could trade their way out of poverty.

Despite this setback the Make Trade Fair campaign continues. And YOU can still help make a difference (A Bubsa comment there :P)

What has Make Trade Fair achieved so far?

chrismartin.jpg

The 20 million people around the world who signed the Big Noise petition to Make Trade Fair have had a huge impact. The Make Trade Fair campaign has:

• ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãââ Been at the forefront of the success at the WTO to change patent rules that led to a dramatic fall in the price of vital medicines for people with HIV/AIDs in poor countries. In some cases from annual costs of $10,000 US to $140 US per person.

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãââ Forced rich countries into agreeing by 2013, to stop subsidising agriculture exports that contributes to dumping, and pushing local farmers out of business and into poverty

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãââ Massively raised the profile of the campaign with the support of well known celebrities, hundred of thousands of campaigning supporters and the biggest ever global petition to change trade rules

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãââ Helped developing countries stand firm against immense pressure to accept to the unfair demands of rich countries

Is there anything else that I can do help Make Trade Fair?

Yes! There is still much more you can do. In the coming months, the Make Trade Fair campaign will be asking for your continued support to:

• ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãââ Make international trade rules fair for poor countries in trade negotiations between individual countries and regions

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãââ Help even more poor people gain access to life saving affordable medicines

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãââ Continue to build the biggest ever global petition for fairer trade

What can I do today?

redarrow.gifWatch videos from 5 people from Indonesia, India, Brazil, Philippines, and Zambia talk about the current unfair trade rules affect them and then send to your friends preventing a development deal at the WTO.

redarrow.gifDemonstrate your commitment to making trade fair everyday by buying fair trade.

redarrow.gifGet your friends and family to play the World Trade Blame Scratch Card Game to find out who is preventing a development deal at the WTO

I didn't run a marathon in a thong just for a laugh guys. If you feel as strongly about fair trade and making poverty history as I do, I implore you to help out and check this out.

Thanks for your time ::'

I vote STICKY!

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date Bubs, I don't have much time to actively search the web for info like this, so it's nice to be able to read a short summary of what's happening with Oxfam and how they make progress.

I would like to give my opinion on the matter though;

the EU helps European farmers by donating a certain amount of money, mostly based on their return, and the EU does this to keep the farming industry in Europe alive. Without the subsidies these farmers would immediately have to raise their prices and thus they would lose all of their competing strength, so they'd have to give up their jobs.

Now, one of the things that Oxfam doesn't like are these subsidies, I believe. What I want to say, is not that Oxfam has to change their policy, because it's good to have rather radical organisations to alert the world, but I hope they would be more realistic. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but do they have a keen plan on how the poor countries can trade their way out of poverty? Because it really isn't that easy. Due to the protectionist policy the EU, as well as the US, applies, these poor countries can't compete enough with the weallthy nations. But if we were to abolish the protectionistic measures, millions of European farmers would have to cease their jobs, and with them the entire industry that relies on them, such as manufactering industries etc. It would completely disrupt our economy.

That is why those selfish nations don't agree many times with Oxfam and other organizations. If we would, we would soon face an unsolvable crisis. Although this clearly is selfish thinking, I actually rather search for other options to lift the wealth level in the poor countries than to measures that would annihilate our own economy. There must be certain ways to elevate poor countries out of their misery, or at least I hope so.

I'm an idealist, but I'm not prepared to trade my future job and thus life for the job of an other person. It's harsh, but that's what I think.

Bill Hicks[/url]":dhj2kan9]Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.

heinzny2.jpg

As much as I hate the fact that protectionism unfairly prevents deveolping countries from competing on even terms, it makes no political sense for a leader to stop subsidising.

Realistically if tommorow a leader of EU nation (or the American president) abolished subidies, they wouldnt have a hope in hell of being re-elected.

Until the electorate of these nations consider international trade policy a fundamental voting issue, this will continue unfortunatly. People ultimately are selfish when they consider issues like these at election time.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

As much as I hate the fact that protectionism unfairly prevents deveolping countries from competing on even terms, it makes no political sense for a leader to stop subsidising.

Realistically if tommorow a leader of EU nation (or the American president) abolished subidies, they wouldnt have a hope in hell of being re-elected.

Until the electorate of these nations consider international trade policy a fundamental voting issue, this will continue unfortunatly. People ultimately are selfish when they consider issues like these at election time.

That, and what I said :) Politicians don't just think about their popularity, you know. I'm sure a good bunch of them actually care about our welfare.

Bill Hicks[/url]":dhj2kan9]Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.

heinzny2.jpg

That, and what I said :) Politicians don't just think about their popularity, you know. I'm sure a good bunch of them actually care about our welfare.

Yeah I agree there are alot of politicians who do positive things but I really dont think they are a majority to be honest. Maybe Im just being cynical. :-k

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)