Ever heard of the Turing Test?

cardovilian

The Turing test, put basically, is when an Artificial Intelligence (AI) can conduct a conversation with a human without the human realising that they are talking to a computer. Ever wanted to chat to an AI? Well here's your chance. Do you have any McAfee software installed on your PC? Anti-virus, Firewall, Anti-Spam? If not, but you still want to try this, install McAfee Site Advisor as a browser extension (available to both IE and Firefox).

Go to:

http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/default.asp

Then got to step 3 and click on McAfee virtual technician. (You will have to enter some basic information)

They will tell you that they are searching for an on-line technician to help you - they even give 'it' a name. But its just an automated response system. To give them their due, its pretty good, but I think its a bit under-handed of McAfee to be presenting to their paying customers a system which they are portraying as something its not. Here is the text of my 'conversation' with my 'technician'...

Please wait while we find a technician to assist you...

You have been connected to Jenny Bing.

Jenny Bing: Hello , thank you for contacting McAfee Online Support Center.

Jenny Bing: Your reference number for this chat session is 21081721.

Jenny Bing: How can I assist you with your McAfee software today?

ME: My google searches have suddenly become slowed, apparently while they wait for site advisor. I have not experienced this problem before. Is there a reason for this?

Jenny Bing: Since when are you experiencing this issue?

ME: Only over the last few days. The only major change to my system in that time has been to install the google toolbar. Is there a known issue with this?

Jenny Bing: , if I understand correctly, your google searches have suddenly become slowed, apparently while they wait for Site Advisor. Is this correct?

: yes

Jenny Bing: Thank you for the confirmation.

Jenny Bing: , we will try to disable McAfee Site Advisor and check for an issue.

Jenny Bing: Are you ready?

: yes

Jenny Bing: May I place you on hold for a couple of minutes while I research this issue?

Currently experiencing network delays, one moment please....

Network connection re-established.

: why certainly

Jenny Bing: Thank you for waiting. I appreciate your patience

Jenny Bing: , click the Site Advisor button and disable it.

: ok

Jenny Bing: Now check your google search.

Jenny Bing: And let me know the result.

: now its instant, no delay at all

Jenny Bing: Okay.

: Something's just occured to me. I recently upgraded to firefox 2.0. Could this be the problem?

Jenny Bing: Yes, you need to use Internet Explorer as a default browser.

: But I installed site advisor as a firefox extension! Does it need to be re-coded for firefox 2.0?

Jenny Bing: No, it is compatible and there is no issue with version.

: So I don't have to use IE then?

Jenny Bing: Yes, it is fine.

: please reconcile"Yes, you need to use Internet Explorer as a default browser" with "So I don't have to use IE then? "

: "yes it is fine"

: you're an AI bot aren't you?

: There's not really a person called Jenny Bing is there?

Thank you for using Chat! (You may now close this window.)

Your session has ended. You may now close this window or select one of the options at the top of the webpage.

"IF" anyone is sufficiently interested in this post, I'd like to see the results of such queries as ' My trousers are on fire' or 'My duck has no beans', just to see how the AI deals with it. I guess it will be along the lines of 'Thank you for using Chat! (You may now close this window.)

Your session has ended. You may now close this window or select one of the options at the top of the webpage.', but kudos will be due to anyone who can get a response from a nonsense question.

Why is 'common sense' so named, when there is so little of it about?

Welcome to puberty, we've been expecting you.

newsighq9.jpg

The site just redirects to some selection page.

I also was under the impression that the turing test is something that is a combination of numbers and letters, but so complicated that only a human could decipher it. It's used to prevent macro-account creators and spammers online.

I can't remember the site, maybe somebody has it, there is a turing test game. After level 15 or so the turing code is nearly impossible to decipher.

hmm i have heard of the test, and other ai systems. the company that makes that software has a trial-like name that you can add to aol im and talk to. its name is smarterchild

Yeah, you're talking about this. It's an AIM bot, and pretty amazingly smart one. Quite interesting.

Yes, most major companies use AI bots for online support. Interesting stuff. Makes sense too, it's much cheaper and much easier than hiring human beings.

A mind not to be changed by place or time.

The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a heav'n of hell, a hell of heav'n.

Maybe it got a bit lost in the size of the post, but my main point was that the majority of McAfee's PAYING customers are being sold short here. Because most of them wont know an AI from a SUV, and will think they are getting real on-line help - until it falls down. Seriously, give this AI a try, its very convincing when dealing with straightforward English. Certainly a lot better than I would expect from something that isn't coming from a university IT lab.

newsighq9.jpg

Maybe it got a bit lost in the size of the post, but my main point was that the majority of McAfee's PAYING customers are being sold short here. Because most of them wont know an AI from a SUV, and will think they are getting real on-line help - until it falls down. Seriously, give this AI a try, its very convincing when dealing with straightforward English. Certainly a lot better than I would expect from something that isn't coming from a university IT lab.

Just curious what you think - if you're getting the information you need to fix your problem, what does it matter who gives it to you?

Just curious what you think - if you're getting the information you need to fix your problem, what does it matter who gives it to you?

If you read the whole post through you will see that I didn't get an answer to my problem. I'm not too bothered because I'm not paying McAfee for Site Advisor. If I WAS however....

newsighq9.jpg

If you read the whole post through you will see that I didn't get an answer to my problem. I'm not too bothered because I'm not paying McAfee for Site Advisor. If I WAS however....

Oh, sorry then. My mistake.

does anyone have a link to something similar but doesnt require installing anything? it would be really cool tryin to stump it :twisted:

... I can learn about credit, banking, paying taxes, legal rights and mortgages at a skatepark?

Runescaper since december 3, 2001

Mybrois15.png