MMORPG Addiction

highlanders

Heres's an interesting website that I found that talks about mmorpg addiction. They talk about causes of addiction, why people play mmorpgs, and such.

http://www.nickyee.com/hub/addiction/home.html

(If you dont trust my link, copy and paste it on google to see it's description.)

I think most of us know those things. But the question that struck me after reading that article: But is it bad to play them?

Its rather funny, because when I started playing Rs (4-5 yrs ago, I have played on and off), I had various problems in my life. Now, I solved and Im working on solving these problems, and since that time, Im playing less and less, and finding all of this rather pointless.

I see you coming, someone will go say; mmorpgs are harmless if you just play 30 mins a day. I think its pretty stupid to say that, because people play games to achieve things, and no one achieves anything in 30 mins a day. The large majority of people play much more than that. And the people on this forum should know this especially - all the higher lvls dwell in tip.it forums.

On rs, Ive seen people go on and off many times in a day, probably because Rs is browser based and easy to access, also maybe because you get booted if you dont move for 1 min -.-. On flyff, another mmorpg I've played, people can easily play 12 hours in a row - personally, I've never done that, but some friends I had, in the high lvls, would do that everyday, going to bed at 3-5am in the morning.

Anyway, what's your thoughts? People are addicted to mmorpgs, but is it wrong to play them? What is better, playing or not playing?

2480+ total

just balance i play around 2 hours a day and very many days nothing so i have the whole day with friends i got a pretty good social live and stil can play runescape pretty good with lvl 80 and some other nice stats so its posible to balance it!

oh and edit: yep i playd flyff to thoug its to much of a grind fest to be playable with only 2 hours a day so i dont like it

People can get addicted to anything, thats a fact. So yes MMORPGs are no different than getting addicted to other varrious activities.

However, the cause of it is the person behind the computer and not the actual game or makers of the game.

I will be on the PC a lot (and generaly on an MMORPG) but I also work from 8-5 so by no means is anything built around it. If we decide to go to the mall or do something (we being my family) than I will go.