Learn to DRAW in 5 easy lessons!///////////drawing 4 noobs!!

tttia

Better Drawing in 5 lessons!

Lesson 1.

Materials needed-pen and paper or just your computer

Before you learn to draw, you have to learn to SEE. Observation is the key to successful drawing. When first learning to draw REFERENCE is essential. You have to have something to look at to draw. Drawing from your mind is great. But drawing what you see demands DISCIPLINE, and you can tell when you are doing well or not doing well at all.

For this first lesson we will not draw at all. Get out a watch or a clock. If you have a stop watch that is even better. Give yourself 10 minutes. Don't short change this. Look at the stock picture below and WRITE OUT every detail you see. What colors, what changes in colors, what features, how rounded, how flat a certain curve is, etc. Don't stop looking until the 10 minutes are up. When you are finished post list! Then we can compare.

fem67er.jpg

Lesson 2.

Materials needed-apple or similar produce, pencil and paper

Part 1.

Now we see just how observant you are on a regular basis. Draw an apple from your mind, the best you can. Give yourself 10-15 minutes for this.

Part 2.

Go get an apple. Now as you draw look at the apple. Draw it just as you see it. Allow 10-20 minutes for this. When you are done, compare how detailed the one is that you drew from your mind, to the one you did while looking at the apple. If you can, post them!

Lesson 3.

Materials needed-pencil and paper, scissors

Part 1.

Look at the scissors and draw exactly what you see as best you can. Put in all details. Allow 10-15 minutes for this. Don't stop with just an outline.

Part 2.

Part of drawing is learning to draw what you SEE rather than what you think you see. Too many people worry about what they think scissors or a dog or an apple, etc. should look like. And when they are drawing they subconsciously draw in elements of what they think. But drawing what you see is how you improve. As you draw, be aware of the "self-talk" that goes on. Instead of saying, "oh that doesn't look right" or "wow, that sucks," say something more constructive. Phrases such as..that apple stem is more curved than mine..I need to curve mine more. Or the angle of that arm is sharper than mine. Etc. Try to see how your drawing is DIFFERENT from what you are actually drawing. Then go CHANGE it to match! If the apple stem on the reference is more curved, make yours more curved. This is how we improve.

This sounds easy, but in order to learn it we are going to do an exercise.

Draw the scissors again. This time, listen to yourself as you draw. Ask yourself if this part needs to be more curved, or more sloped, or sharper angles. Give another 10-15 minutes.

When you are done, did you improve over the last time?

Part 3.

Many people find that they have trouble getting what they see on to paper. The reason for this in a lot of cases is that they are looking at their own paper more than what they see! The goal is to draw the reference. In order to do that you have to LOOK at the reference! Most people spend 80 percent of their time looking at their paper, and 20 at the reference. You are much better off to spend 80 percent of the time looking at the reference, and 20 at your paper. In fact, practice drawing without looking at your paper for longer periods of time. Try to move your hand as you see the lines on the reference.

To practice this we are going to draw the scissors one more time. Only this time you CANNOT LOOK AT YOUR PAPER AT ALL! Now I know what you are thinking. It will be like Luke Skywalker when he was blindfolded! I will get zapped! Well, trust your feelings Luke...er...I mean, trust me, it won't be that bad. In fact some people find that their final product looks BETTER than when they drew it before. Just start with your pencil on the paper, and start going, looking only at the scissors.

When you are finished, see how close you came. If it was not all that close, don't worry. This is practice.

Post all three versions if you can!

Lesson 4.

Materials needed-pencil and paper, a shoe.

This assignment is simple. It is a review and practice. But it is very important. Do not skip it! Allow 20-25 minutes. Take off your shoe. Draw what you see. Pay close attention to your self talk. Try to go for long periods without looking at your paper, but just drawing as you see the lines. You will find you follow the lines better this way! Then when you have done a bit of it, go back and say, "how is this line compared to the original? Are the laces thicker or thinner than the original? Etc.

Often times gesture drawings can be helpful. This is when you draw, and when you see that a line is wrong, don't even erase, just draw the new one. You might get three of the same line. NO problem. When you are done you can go back and erase...or don't. Either way. It is learning to see what is there. This line "restatement" is a key to learning.

Post your results!

Lesson 5.

Materials needed-pencil and paper

Shading. Shading is a tough lesson for many to learn because we haven't spent enough time considering how shadows work.

Examine the image below:

shadeball.jpg

The first circle is flat. It is defined by a line and a plane. Even without the grey shading it would be a circle due simply to a line. It is called a shape, but has implied depth. It could be flat, or a globe. It is undefined.

The second one is clearly a globe or ball. The light is coming from the upper right, and slightly to the front. Notice there are no defining lines (or shouldn't be). Each tone flows into the other. While some drawings use harsh shadows or reduce colors to two values, most images have shades of tones that flow together to make the illusion of depth. They are the same size, but the second looks much more dynamic, much more real. The difference is shading.

To understand shading you have to know where light is coming from. We call this your "LIGHT SOURCE. In this case our light source is in the upper right corner, slightly forward of the object.

Therefore we see bright highlights on the upper right area of the "globe." And the lower left portion looks dark. It is in the shadow.

Part 1.

Every scene you have ever looked at in real life, every photograph, etc. has lightsources. We just haven't been trained to think in those terms.

Examine the following photos. Write out where the light source is coming from in each one. Some may have MORE THAN ONE!

Then post what you found!

fem67er.jpg

face1ka.jpg

orange7ud.jpg

citynight7bt.jpg

cityscaperef7bh.jpg

Sometimes reducing a pictures saturation to greyscale can help to show the lightsource more clearly without being distracted by colors. If you are having trouble figuring out the light source, try changing the photo to grey scale.

face28va.jpg

Part 2.

shadeball.jpg

Make your own circle and shade it in to be a globe!

This can be done by

a. Identify your LIGHTEST areas. When drawing it is hard to get white. The best way to do it is not to erase but to not draw there in the first place! At your lightest point, don't put any pencil at all! Mark out these areas first so you can plan! Remember "specular highlights" (the very bright round spot is glare from the light source. This often happens with largely smooth, rounded, reflective surfaces. It can happen on the tight parts of skin, or on glass, etc.). Plan for these first!

b. lay down the base tone. Pick the medium tone and put it over everything but the white areas.

c. Darker tones. Go over with even passes getting darker and darker in the shadowed areas. Be BOLD. You want lots of contrast between dark and light.

d. Blending. This can be done with a finger, with some Kleenex, or even a commercial blending stick. (A paper like stick with pointy ends made for blending).

Post your results!

Part 3.

Now for your toughest work yet. Since shading from a photo is often easier than from life, we will try to both draw and shade this picture. Don't worry if it is not perfect. It is one more step in practice.

shell0jn.jpg

Post your results!

Remember, that the things that you learn can be applied to ANY picture. Some people say "I can't draw people", or "I can't do hands." Some say, "landscapes are just not my ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¹Ãâthing.'" Remember that people are no different than apples or bulldozers or tables. The key is to DRAW WHAT YOU SEE. Everything is made up of shadows, lights, lines, planes, textures etc. Some are more complex, some are more simple. Just draw what you see. The most important thing is to NOT STOP PRACTICING!

Possible future lessons...

Existing light values when shading

Textures

forshortening

crosshatching

Composition

....detail, too little or too much?

-----perspective through overlapping, vanishing points, light and dark etc.

other ideas? Pm me!

If anyone else would like to add a lesson, PM me also!

Good luck as you learn to draw!

Amazing tutorial man :D

i think it helped me out too. I'll be trying a few things (although most of these practice thing's i've known about :P)

Might try on pc too lol, i'm bad with handleing a mouse though :)

Anyways, great job Tttia!

Of course you know about them. You were there when I did the first one on scape! lol.

Well i think i knew about them before that, well at least some like the drawing without looking at your paper thing :D

Excellent tutorial :)

I think a set of pictures showing stages in the drawing of something would be good.

Hard to put down in writing without explanatory hand gestures and pointing where the light's coming from :wink:

I'll have a go:

Girl: soft light with a broad spectrum with a source above her and to our left in the picture, possibly the sun around the middle of the day with some cloud cover.

Partial portrait: intense bright light from above, to the left of and at right angles to the subject's face. Warm glow so I'm assuming its also the sun (lines of shadow could indicate blinds on a window).

If its not the sun then its a 100+ watt filament bulb in a lamp at an angle.

Eyebrows suggest subject is female :wink:

Oranges: bright broad spectrum light again, probably the sun again or a bright bulb to our left of the oranges and with about a 30* elevation - angle between the top of the orange its shadow and where gravity ought to be.

Building: multiple semi-concealed filament lights in alcoves in the building(?) or something else which is causing the dark vertical lines between them.

High rise cluster: our top right and possibly behind, cant be more exact because the light is very soft, shadows on the left are darker though.

Mouth: in front and to the left of the subject, soft, probably the sun again, hard to tell with greyscale.

:)

Am I right?

sig16xk.jpg

Superknight/Blademaster: Level 150; Hps: 132

Theoretical damage per round: 234

Highest recorded damage in one round: 104

great tutorial you sound like my old drawing teacher

Remember, that the things that you learn can be applied to ANY picture. Some people say "I can't draw people", or "I can't do hands." Some say, "landscapes are just not my ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¹Ãâthing.'"

that's mostly cause people tend to draw what they know sooner than trying to draw something they dont (like when you draw an eagle for the first time you tend to draw it the same way the second time).

Thats why I came on the boards, I let other people decide what I draw so I draw something new every time.

something my teacher always said was

"if you dont know how to draw a certain object, Get an example"

Glad you all find it helpful.

One caution I should have given before, don't skip parts. It just hurts you in the long run.

You COULD do all of this in one setting ,but I suggest spreading it over 5 actual sessions.

Nice tutorial, but that girl, whoaa, goth chicks, (hate em)... nasty!

Er goth chick? No goth chicks were used in the making of this tutorial.

I'm so quoting that :lol: