Tutorial: 3 uses for layer modes! Add your own!

tttia

Note: to use these tips you need a program that uses layer merge modes, such as Photoshop, Corel Photopaint (that is what I used) or Painter, etc.

1. If you want to up your contrast on an image without washing it out a good way to do this is layer modes.

Notice this example is kind of washed out:

birdref2hk.jpg

You could crank the contrast...but then you can ruin the picture. Another way to do it is to COPY the whole image, then PASTE it into a new layer

Number 1 shows the duplicated layer.

birdrefoverlay1ei.jpg

Then you switch the layer mode of the TOP layer to OVERLAY or SCREEN. This then ups the contrast. (overlay mode is shown in number 2)

Then you can adjust the amount of the effect by adjusting the transparency of the layer (number 3).

2. Cleaning up line work. It is often hard to clean up line work due to smudges that scan in etc. Usually upping the contrast helps. But when your lines are too light, you can lose them completely by doing that. Again. layer modes are great! Simply duplicate the layer as in the case above, but select ADD or MULTIPLY. It brings out the lines, without increasing the smudges much.

3. Colorizing. If you want to add color to an image but don't want to mess with painting it all on, use the COLOR or HUE layer modes.

crocodileresize3uq.jpg

when the wifey did this crocodile picture she didn't want to mess with coloring the whole thing. And a chromatic effect woudl work fine. So I simply made a new EMPTY layer, put a mask around the crocodile with the magic wand tool, then filled it with a solid shade of green.

Set the merge mode to Color. It simply applies the color to the image without covering it over.

croccolor9pb.jpg

Here is the result:

crocodileresizecolor29ms.jpg

The best way to accurately adjust brightness and contrast is to use the Levels Editor. Alot of times Overlay/ *Light / Screens produce very limited effects where you cannot control all parts of the image...

As far as my tricks.... I use layer modes religiously... so where to start...

One thing I use alot is Luminosity. I'll duplicate a layer (say the background) and change it to grayscale (Ctrl + U; Saturation to -100). Then I'll adjust the levels and bring out whatever highlights I really want to see. This works exceptionally well with lensflares, or preserving lights once you have tried to brush over them. We do this alot when repairing photos, or even animated sequences. Anyway, once you have your grayscale image nice and blown out (read: lots of highlights) you can set that layer to Luminosity, and it will enhance the highlights of that image.

Another layer mode commonly used is Multiply, to color images. You can produce linework as a black and white layer, and set it to multiply. Put it at the top of your layer hierarchy (No, I can't spell) and put layers under it. When you apply color under it, because the Multiply is black and white, it will show through. If the image is a different color however, you will get unwanted effects due to color hexs trying to multiply each other.

Linear burns are good for certain lighting effects in conjunction with black as well....

I really can't explain all the layer effects I use... I have alot of images where I compound many layer modes onto each other, usually about 3-4 at a time, sometimes more. I also change the opacity on all of them to get ultimate control. If you really want to know more you can always contact me on aim. ;)

Yeah I use the multiply line art trick too when coloring. It gives you great control allowing you to see the lines and see the paint better.

That first trick of yours would benefit from some pictures there Keiphus. Your description got a bit convoluted.

And I find that the levels are good for contrast on some images, but I like overlay mode because I can still control not only the whole image, but also patches....you can erase the part of the overlay layer you don't want to have the contrast. And you can use the slider. Perhaps Corel has a stronger effect on theirs than ps...not sure.

Also the contrast brushes are nice.