Can't connet to update server..?

Noisecontrollers

EDIT: Was a router issue, replaced router with an old spare Router I had lying around and wired worked for RS, seems like it was blocking my new computer.

I get this message when trying to log-in RS through clients and browsers

Error_game_js5connect - Unable to connect to update server.

RuneScape was unable to connect to the update server. This is most likely caused by a firewall blocking the connection.

To resolve this:

If you have firewall or security software installed, they can often block RuneScape from accessing its servers. Please ensure that RuneScape/Java can connect to its servers on port 43594.

Note: Windows XP Service Pack 2 has built in firewall software. If, when loading RuneScape, this asks if you want to allow the connection, you need to say 'yes'.

If that doesn't help, then an external firewall may be causing the problem. Please ask your network adminstrator/ISP to open port 43594 for TCP traffic so that RuneScape and Java can run correctly.

If problems persist, please refer to the Technical FAQs, which can be found in the Customer Support section of our website.

java console window displays this:

network: Connecting http://world24.runescape.***:43594/ with proxy=DIRECT

network: Connecting https://world24.runescape.*** with proxy=DIRECT

network: Connecting http://world24.runescape.*** with proxy=DIRECT

network: Connecting http://world24.runescape.***:443/ with proxy=DIRECT

network: Connecting http://world24.runescape.***:443/ with proxy=DIRECT

Then disappears when that message above shows.

It's with a new computer that I posted on my other thread, my really old laptop with win xp 32-bit runs rs fine but this 1 with Windows 7 64-bit won't

Specs:

Quad-core processor @ 3.1Ghz

6gb ram

ATI radeon 4250 graphics

2tb hard drive

win 7 64-bit

So wtf?

Edited by Noisecontrollers

Nc, I will assume that you've already authorized your computer for wireless access, seeing as you're at least getting to launch the game's loader. Please try switching from Wireless to Ethernet, and see if that helps. If that doesn't work, hopefully someone will be able to give a few more ideas from there. :-k

~D. V. "Try hardwired, perhaps?" Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

my old laptop has these specs:

1gb ram

1.6ghz processor dual-core

160gb hdd

intel gma graphics

win xp 32-bit

and loads it fine

However my new computer has these specs and can't connect to the update server:

amd quad-core 3.1ghz

6gb ddr3 ram

2tb hdd

ati radeon hd 4250 graphics

win 7 home prem 64-bit SP1

Like wtf????????????????????????????

So you've been able to connect using your old laptop after having this issue with your newer computer? That means the issue has to be with some software on the newer computer itself. Have you checked the firewalls and everything?

Yup, turned firewall off, turned defender off, delete anti-virus, what else can be stopping me??

I hope you've set your AntiVirus/Firewall/AntiMalware programs back up after knocking all three out. :o

It connects via Wireless on my new computer but not wired.

This points to an adapter-related problem. I don't know if anything about that is being stored in the Jagex Cache area, but try dropping that in the recycle bin (so you can grab it back if dumping doesn't work) and reloading it while you're on hardwired ethernet. Also, have you tried doing an "ipconfig /flushdns" (no quotes) while at a Command Prompt? There's an unlikely chance that you might have DNS entries or something that are sticking and causing an issue. :geek:

~D. V. "Going to have to try ruling things out, one by one..." Devnull

(p.s.: At anyone knowledgeable enough, is it possible for Windows 7 to affinity a program to a specific network adapter?)

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Ye the DNs thing didn't work for me yday.

I can connect to the RS site via Ethernet cable but when I click "play now", it says "checking for updates 1%" then gives me the message after a short time.

I checked my older laptop using Ethernet to see if it was a router issue but it let me connect to RS fine, so idk.

1. Click on the 'Start' button of your Windows.

2. Right-click on the 'My Computer' or 'Computer' in this bar and select 'Properties'.

3. Next click on 'Advanced Settings' or 'Advanced System Settings'.

4. Now click on the 'Environment Variables' and look at the 'System Variables' part.

5. Now scroll down untill you see a variable called 'path' or 'Path', click on this variable and click on 'Edit'.

6. A window should pop-up where you have to edit the variable. Now do the following: edit the value to your java path (For example: mine is C:\Program Files\Java\jdk6\bin). Do not forget to put a ; at the end of your path.

Try this, I heard it works for some who have this problem; not guaranteed to work. You will have to find your Java path, so go to program files, find the Java folder, and find the path to the bin folder then copy and paste that.

Make sure that you have uninstalled java, along with all the previous versions and reinstall the new one. I'm surprised so many people have this problem, when you first start rs and received a message box looking like this (It would look different since you are on win7) did you alllow it?

Ps3-Media-Server-Firewall.jpg

randomkcopyq.png

Update the driver from the motherboard manufacturers page, not from dell or whoevers site it is.

Try the downloadable client.

Try another browser.

If it doesn't work its a router problem, if it does, search your drive for anything jagex/runescape related and delete it, uninstall java and reinstall.

2d26mw.gif

Why can't the Big Bang be done by the hand of God?

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.

Norton definitely was a problem, but might not be the one that was causing the issue.

Do you have another antivirus active? since you removed Norton.

Did you disable your wireless when you were using the wired?

Reinstalled Windows to factory default and it's still same but it didn't actually have the full Norton Anti-virus

It has Norton online backup and Mcafee Internet Suite installed atm.

Why does only RS not work with wired but all other sites are fine? This is what I can't understand at all.

Have you tried updating the drivers on your network/Ethernet adapter? If wireless works but wired doesn't, then the problem is almost certainly some place in the adapter, not in your antivirus or anything like that.

Well, I guess you could try uninstalling McAfee, it's the worst antivirus out there right now. A couple of powerful free ones are Avast and Microsoft security essentials.

(AUTHOR ALERT: READ ENTIRE POST BEFORE TAKING ANY ACTION! THOUGHTS ARE NOT IN SEQUENTIAL ORDER!!!)

Noisecontrollers, I just caught up on the last so-many posts, and I'm surprised you didn't mention Norton/Mcafee sooner. Both of them can really mess your system and TCP/IP stack up. Uninstall them, and use the Removal Tools from both companies to clear most of what their uninstallers don't cover out. From there, sweep the registry and hard disk directories and cleanse your system of their installation's presence. And like Sbrideau said, get something else as your AV and Firewall, and before you remove Norton/Mcafee so that you'll have the new ones ready to slap in while you're offline. Personally, my preference for them would be ZoneLabs' ZoneAlarm Pro for firewall, Eset's NOD32 for antivirus, and Acronis True Image for data backup. :geek:

BTW, also check Java and make sure that it either talks to your browser for connection settings and/or that it just tries to go directly to the internet. Which reminds me, before you remove Norton/Mcafee, make sure they aren't affecting the path that Java takes to the internet. That could be (albeit unlikely) what's limiting which adapter that RuneScape can go through, and might have some effect even after their removal via things like Windows' policy systems. Heck, if you can fix it via Mcafee's internal settings, then you may not have to go through most of what the rest of us have mentioned. :)

~D. V. "Maybe there's an easy way out of this mess?" Devnull

(p.s.: Make sure Windows Firewall isn't trying to apply itself at the same time as Mcafee! That will really mess your stuff up!)