Tip.It Times - 23rd June 2013

tripsis

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

callingwriters.jpg

WRITE FOR THE TIMES - SUBMIT A GUEST ARTICLE:

Remember, YOU can write an article for the Tip.It Times! You can apply to write full time, or just submit a "one-off" guest article any time you want! Our editors will work with you to ensure that your article is ready for publication. All guest articles can be submitted to @tripsis or any other Editorial Panel member. For more information, including details on how to apply full time, read this forum thread: http://forum.tip.it/topic/209138-how-to-write-for-the-tipit-times/

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to tripsis by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in an article then please PM them to @tripsis. :)

Enjoy the articles!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

The articles are okay, I guess. It's nice to see someone bidding a formal goodbye on a more positive note, as some in the past here have been much less so.

I freely admit I cannot relate to the viewpoints. There is no happy childhood nostalgia for me as far as Runescape is concerned; that era was about arcade games and Atari consoles in the beginning, and taking off to friends' houses for NES at the very end. No, I started Runescape as a full-grown adult, struggling to provide for a family of my own that was just beginning. The Runescape of that time is called "Runescape Classic" now.

I don't see the fascination with the 2007 servers. I really don't. From RS1, to RS2, to RS2.5/EOC, I felt I adapted to the changes, even the ones that the community cried bitterly over. I felt vindicated when ideas I saw criticized and spurned here... become a reality. (Mages got craftable armour with EOC-- I told you so!) Granted, although I happily participated in the RS2 beta, I couldn't participate in the EOC beta because of complications of using the beta servers on Linux (long story). But I got excited about combat again once it was rolled out. Likewise, I can't properly access the HTML5 or NIS beta servers either. Oh well, but I figure I'll like the changes.

I'm not sure what I'll do when I max out and finish the completionist list. Maybe I'll try the roleplay thing, or try to revive memories of the Order of Cabbage, or both. Maybe I'll "retire" and try to work more like a responsible adult. But whether it's Classic or 2007, I really have no desire to turn back. I had some moments when I did, and I remembered what I was glad to leave behind.

The articles are okay, I guess. It's nice to see someone bidding a formal goodbye on a more positive note, as some in the past here have been much less so.

I freely admit I cannot relate to the viewpoints. There is no happy childhood nostalgia for me as far as Runescape is concerned; that era was about arcade games and Atari consoles in the beginning, and taking off to friends' houses for NES at the very end. No, I started Runescape as a full-grown adult, struggling to provide for a family of my own that was just beginning. The Runescape of that time is called "Runescape Classic" now.

I don't see the fascination with the 2007 servers. I really don't. From RS1, to RS2, to RS2.5/EOC, I felt I adapted to the changes, even the ones that the community cried bitterly over. I felt vindicated when ideas I saw criticized and spurned here... become a reality. (Mages got craftable armour with EOC-- I told you so!) Granted, although I happily participated in the RS2 beta, I couldn't participate in the EOC beta because of complications of using the beta servers on Linux (long story). But I got excited about combat again once it was rolled out. Likewise, I can't properly access the HTML5 or NIS beta servers either. Oh well, but I figure I'll like the changes.

I'm not sure what I'll do when I max out and finish the completionist list. Maybe I'll try the roleplay thing, or try to revive memories of the Order of Cabbage, or both. Maybe I'll "retire" and try to work more like a responsible adult. But whether it's Classic or 2007, I really have no desire to turn back. I had some moments when I did, and I remembered what I was glad to leave behind.

While you're opinions on older versions of the game differ from mine (maybe because it WAS childhood nostalgia for me) I see where you are coming from. I definitely have some of the same thoughts when it comes to the older versions of the game, but at the same time, I feel as if someone who's played RS as long as myself (and possibly you if I'm reading your post correctly) can always appreciate the old servers. Obviously, I don't plan on permanently going back to OSRS nor have I ever thought of that, I simply wanted to play for the enjoyment and memories that go along with it. Opinions will never match up, I suppose, but I see where you're coming from.

Maybe after "maxing out" your solution will be to go back and start again on an old server. Whether you feel the nostalgia or not, the game is just addictive now as it was then, and you could easily get hooked into the older games like you did six or more years ago. I feel as if, no matter how your or my outlook on the servers are, I believe Jagex kind of feels it necessary (whether obligatory or not we can only speculate) to allow newer generations of RS gamers understand how the game developed. I can understand, from this point of view, how you wouldn't want to come back. You've been there, done that, and got the t-shirt.

I feel as if, no matter how your or my outlook on the servers are, I believe Jagex kind of feels it necessary (whether obligatory or not we can only speculate) to allow newer generations of RS gamers understand how the game developed. I can understand, from this point of view, how you wouldn't want to come back. You've been there, done that, and got the t-shirt.

Yup. I often say "think like a developer!" as far as game suggestions. I get all excited when a player shares with me how the code works, like psuedorandom number generators (PRNG), playerID, player save files, etc. I was never very good with coding/programming/scripting after 20 years of trying, but that aspect of the game always fascinates me. My memory is pretty good and as a storytelling-based gamer, I like to talk about the story arcs, especially how Jagex has fleshed out the concept of the gods since Andrew and Paul's departure.

I have a strange fascination with small details and I learned a lot about the game poring over fansites. So yes, in some ways I'm weary of dissecting old content, and I'm actually looking forward to breaking down how new mechanics, including new strategies with EOC (although I looked at the Archive of Wisdom post here concerning Barrows under EOC-- how can a new strategy get so complicated?)

My nostalgia per se is more in emulation, more especially with M.A.M.E. and commercial arcade controls. I'd be a hypocrite to criticize my younger gaming peers for nostalgia because I have plenty of my own, but just in other areas. (Ask me about pranking younger gamers with a "Gamepads suck!" line sometime. I've got a twisted sense of humor.)

Now, what I think would be BRILLIANT is if Jagex figures out how to retrofit Classic and 07 to HTML5 so that they can have Runescape on mobile devices. Is it just me, or does EOC and the upcoming RS3 seem too piggy and cumbersome for tablets? I predict they'll have to water things down. Although I don't have a tablet, I really do think that lots of people would flock to Classic and 07 if they could play them on smartphones and tablets. (Well, my friend LadySarafina-- anyone remember her? she used to be on Staff-- tells me she would.)

• Like 1

I actually have thought about that. RS3 does sound a bit...ambitious for a tablet and smartphone. I don't think it'll be very fin with so many updates people would have to do for the game to properly work, not to mention the download would be ridiculous. The OSRS and RSC servers, with limited to no updates would be very cool to play on a tablet. I really think that would be a better way to go, in my opinion, for expanding there gaming platform. Jagex could really hit it big with something like that if they could retrofit the game to work on smartphones and tablets, not to mention the populations of the games would grow exponentially! Think of all the new memberships they'd acquire with something like this.

Nonetheless, I feel like my parents have a similar point of view on nostalgic things. I got my dad "Pong" for his birthday in March and he played it for, quite literally, 6 hours straight. It was probably the most...exiting, boring, and drawn out gaming session I've ever seen in my life, all packed into one! Haha, nonetheless, a time back when my father was 10, he played it for hours, much like 9 years ago when I was 10 playing the OSRS servers. It's fair to say every generation has things that are filled with nostalgia, ONLY for that generation, and the gap slowly gets wider and wider as time passes.

Now, what I think would be BRILLIANT is if Jagex figures out how to retrofit Classic and 07 to HTML5 so that they can have Runescape on mobile devices. Is it just me, or does EOC and the upcoming RS3 seem too piggy and cumbersome for tablets? I predict they'll have to water things down. Although I don't have a tablet, I really do think that lots of people would flock to Classic and 07 if they could play them on smartphones and tablets. (Well, my friend LadySarafina-- anyone remember her? she used to be on Staff-- tells me she would.)

I thought that they were going to do that with 07, although I may be wrong. However, with the wonders of a virtual browser, you already can play on a tablet. I play on my iPad all the time.

Now, what I think would be BRILLIANT is if Jagex figures out how to retrofit Classic and 07 to HTML5 so that they can have Runescape on mobile devices. [trimming my own response for length]

I thought that they were going to do that with 07, although I may be wrong. However, with the wonders of a virtual browser, you already can play on a tablet. I play on my iPad all the time.

Yeah, I seem to remember Jagex saying something to the effect of prepping the game for mobile devices. They haven't said much more than that, have they?

I also saw that some players had their own workarounds. Not too surprised that setting up for a tablet is pretty straightforward; tablets (and netbooks, if they are still manufactured yet) are basically laptops miniaturized a little further. But smartphones-- I think they'd have to make a dedicated app, maybe utilizing the client.