Need advice on buying a laptop

Adam007

With college coming around, I'm doing the routine laptop buying thing. At best buy they recommended that I get this, but often those guys aren't completely honest. I just found a similar laptop for $720. Since I don't know specs that well, I was wondering if anyone could quickly skim over it and let me know if there are any glaring obvious things lacking or anything that's underpowered. It's about $1050, so can anyone tell me if I'm getting a good deal? I'll be using it for all kinds of multimedia, sometimes games (nothing that heavy, just so I can play them without major lag), and being able to have a lot of things running at once. So a big thanks for anyone able to help me out here and give me their opinion.

Whats your max budget?

What kind of games will you be playing? It will be hard (or near impossible) for around $1000 to find a laptop with a dedicated graphics card to play new games.

Looking over the laptops the only thing I can really find a major difference is the battery capacity. The HP laptop at Bestbuy has a 12 cell battery while the other has a 6 cell.

One major thing is to get 2GBs of ram.

goldenblade995.png

Assuming the one's site doesn't have crazy shipping, the difference in the batteries probably wouldn't be enough to be worth the price difference, right? My budget's probably around 1500 max, and as for games, I don't need anything high end. I don't play computer games that much, so at most I'd just want to be able to play the game without too much lag.

Assuming the one's site doesn't have crazy shipping, the difference in the batteries probably wouldn't be enough to be worth the price difference, right? My budget's probably around 1500 max, and as for games, I don't need anything high end. I don't play computer games that much, so at most I'd just want to be able to play the game without too much lag.

That depends on what game you play to make it lag free. Both the laptops have onboard graphics which is not very good for game playing.

The batery life would not be worth the price difference although you would want the most capacity possible so it will last through your classes at college.

For $1500 (or even less) you could get a good laptop from Dell or HP via their website. Pick something with a core 2 duo (faster than the turion X2) with a dedicated graphics card and it will be a very good laptop. Try HP first because I was looking for a laptop for myself and they have some very good deals including cheap upgrade prices.

goldenblade995.png

I remember building a pretty decent laptop for around $1500 on dells site back when I was looking into them later. You should be able to get a pretty decent dedicated card along with an intel 2 duo core, like blade stated.

Check HP or dell. Its the summer so a lot of deals are going to be popping up.

You should absolutely be looking for something with the Intel Core 2. Absolutely great product.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

yes dell is the way to go for price and stats. the best buy comp is decent but overpriced because core 2 duo is better and amd x2 and it has a very low end dedicated graphics card. its a 15.4 inch monitor is a very good travel size since its large enough to see easily but wont be too heavy to weigh you down. make sure you search the net for some coupon codes too to knock down the price a lot. make sure you get a dedicated vid card too.

Traxion.jpeg