Internet Dropouts.

gahh

My internet sometimes drops out and doesn't work. It won't come back unless I restart the modem. I have called the ISP and they said I need filters on all phone sockets. I currently only have one filter/splitter which is plugged into one wall socket. It has the modem and phone lines plugged into the other end. They also said the cable connecting the modem to the filter must be 3m or less. Mine is around 7-8m. I am using ADSL2+. Anyone know if this stuff is true? Because I've called many times and I think they might be a bit annoyed and just want to make a solution up to get rid of me. :(

Any help is appreciated.

orly8pv6jt4vmui1.gif

My internet sometimes drops out and doesn't work. It won't come back unless I restart the modem. I have called the ISP and they said I need filters on all phone sockets. I currently only have one filter/splitter which is plugged into one wall socket. It has the modem and phone lines plugged into the other end. They also said the cable connecting the modem to the filter must be 3m or less. Mine is around 7-8m. I am using ADSL2+. Anyone know if this stuff is true? Because I've called many times and I think they might be a bit annoyed and just want to make a solution up to get rid of me. :(

Any help is appreciated.

Yes, what they told you is true. Although you should believe them more than some random strangers over the internet... :-s

I'm not exactly sure about ADSL2+, but ADSL used to have limits on cable length... And the filters on ALL phone sockets is a must. Just move the computer nearer to the line, or get the phone company in to move the socket nearer to the computer.

dwmafianw7.jpg

Notoriously Trollish.

Ok, so for every wall socket, I need 1 filter. But if I unplug the phone line where currently plugged into the filter, all the telephones won't work. Does it still mean I need a filter for every socket?

orly8pv6jt4vmui1.gif

gahh, quick tip: ALL the phones need to have filters attached, but NOT the DSL modem unit. If you have a phone with the DSL, use a splitter at the DSL modem's point, and put a phone with filter on one side, and the router on the other side of the split. And for all the other jacks, just have the filter right out of the wall socket. At no time should there ever be a filter in the DSL modem's line path.

That should fix it. And hopefully I haven't been too confusing either.

~Mr. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

So where the splitter is connected to the phone socket, the phone line and the modem's ADSL line should be plugged. Or do I also need a filter on the splitter for the phone? As for the other sockets, I don't think I need to have filters on them. Isn't part of the problem the phone line is interfering with the ADSL? If it is, we only have one phone line, if you unplug that line, no other telephones work, which means it can't interfere with the ADSL. That phone line is connected to the splitter. I'm a bit confused. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

orly8pv6jt4vmui1.gif

So where the splitter is connected to the phone socket, the phone line and the modem's ADSL line should be plugged. Or do I also need a filter on the splitter for the phone? As for the other sockets, I don't think I need to have filters on them. Isn't part of the problem the phone line is interfering with the ADSL? If it is, we only have one phone line, if you unplug that line, no other telephones work, which means it can't interfere with the ADSL. That phone line is connected to the splitter. I'm a bit confused. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, you're sounding a bit confused. So I'll try to re-draw my words in verbal steps.

1.) Plug splitter into wall socket. No filters used at this point.

2.) Plug phone line, with filter attached, into one side of splitter.

3.) Plug DSL line into other side of splitter, without a filter.

4.) Go around the rest of the house, and where you have a phone located by a wall jack, apply a filter to that phone also.

5.) You should be done at this point. Phone should have filters, DSL should not.

Hope that helps.

~Mr. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)